What freedoms did we used to have in the U.S.A that we don't have now?

The freedoms to make individualistic choices seems to be regulated more and more and that bothers me.

Theres gun rights, as i guess has previously been stated. Just because theres a few bad apples, the rest of america has to be punished for it apparently. Im all for regulations and everything but to ban certain weapons just because?... its ridiculous. How am i supposed to defend my home against some gangbanger who has an uzi under his coat when all im legally allowed to have is some cap gun like a simple handgun of some sort? What people dont understand is that theres going to be violence, and of course GUN violence no matter what freakin' law you pass. Ted nugent is a HUGE gun activist. Carries concealed weapns etc. He wrote an excellent book on it a while back. Its a good read if you want to pick his brain a little bit.

Then theres the freedom to do certain things because OTHERS view it as bad. Like strip clubs for example. A lot of these clubs in certain cities are being oppressed by cities issuing ridiculous laws to somehow force them out of buisness. Whether i go to these things or not should not matter. Its the choice of having the right to go is whats at stake here. If a person feels he should have the right to go, then by all means he should have that right. IF he wants to go to an adult book/video store, then by all means he should be reserved the right to do so. Nevermind if people think its immoral or whatever, thats just passing judgement based on personal beliefs which isnt the american way no matter how you view it as beneficial to society.

The right to personal health. Again, 50 years ago things were the way they should be. Now its all about whats health concious and looking out for someone. Cigerette smoking. I just read not long ago that buisnesses are hiring now based on of youre a smoker or not. OR even if your WIFE smokes. How insulting is that?? Then the whole phasing out smoking in bars and stuff... well thats already been discussed and i have expressed my arguments why thats ridiculous as well but thats just how it is.

It just seems like little by little its a domino effect leading down a path of living in a "free country" based on what others believe is good for you instead of a "free country" to be able to make choices freely without outside oppression and interference.

The freedoms to make individualistic choices seems to be regulated more and more and that bothers me.

Theres gun rights, as i guess has previously been stated. Just because theres a few bad apples, the rest of america has to be punished for it apparently. Im all for regulations and everything but to ban certain weapons just because?... its ridiculous. How am i supposed to defend my home against some gangbanger who has an uzi under his coat when all im legally allowed to have is some cap gun like a simple handgun of some sort? What people dont understand is that theres going to be violence, and of course GUN violence no matter what freakin' law you pass. Ted nugent is a HUGE gun activist. Carries concealed weapns etc. He wrote an excellent book on it a while back. Its a good read if you want to pick his brain a little bit.

Then theres the freedom to do certain things because OTHERS view it as bad. Like strip clubs for example. A lot of these clubs in certain cities are being oppressed by cities issuing ridiculous laws to somehow force them out of buisness. Whether i go to these things or not should not matter. Its the choice of having the right to go is whats at stake here. If a person feels he should have the right to go, then by all means he should have that right. IF he wants to go to an adult book/video store, then by all means he should be reserved the right to do so. Nevermind if people think its immoral or whatever, thats just passing judgement based on personal beliefs which isnt the american way no matter how you view it as beneficial to society.

The right to personal health. Again, 50 years ago things were the way they should be. Now its all about whats health concious and looking out for someone. Cigerette smoking. I just read not long ago that buisnesses are hiring now based on of youre a smoker or not. OR even if your WIFE smokes. How insulting is that?? Then the whole phasing out smoking in bars and stuff... well thats already been discussed and i have expressed my arguments why thats ridiculous as well but thats just how it is.

It just seems like little by little its a domino effect leading down a path of living in a "free country" based on what others believe is good for you instead of a "free country" to be able to make choices freely without outside oppression and interference.

Excellent Post!
ICAM we as a society are way over the top - way to much government butting in where they dont belong.

Mod's Note:

This is a reminder for everyone, Any kind of religion discussions are not allowed on this forum, so therefore, the previous posts which contained religion discussions were removed.

I'd hate to close this thread because this is an excellent thread with various opinions of how one views of freedoms that this country once had. With due respect, please let's remain on the topic.

Thanks.

Mod's Note:

This is a reminder for everyone, Any kind of religion discussions are not allowed on this forum, so therefore, the previous posts which contained religion discussions were removed.

I'd hate to close this thread because this is an excellent thread with various opinions of how one views of freedoms that this country once had. With due respect, please let's remain on the topic.

Thanks.

With due respect, religious freedom is persecuted in this country as well and it does fall within the parameters of the topic as the topic is what freedoms did we used to have in the USA that we don't have now?

A simple Moderator's message should be sufficient instead of removing the previous posts that were skirting the discussion.

By removing the posts that contained the message--you just showed AD that freedom of speech online isn't advocated. :)

( I know...it's tough. But I do respect your decision.)

With due respect, religious freedom is persecuted in this country as well and it does fall within the parameters of the topic as the topic is what freedoms did we used to have in the USA that we don't have now?

A simple Moderator's message should be sufficient instead of removing the previous posts that were skirting the discussion.

By removing the posts that contained the message--you just showed AD that freedom of speech online isn't advocated. :)

( I know...it's tough. But I do respect your decision.)

Thanks for understanding this.

While I do realize that religion freedom has always been part of this country and it still exists to this day. It does contain the topic itself.

I was not trying to imply that freedom of speech online is not advocated. It is advocated but each member on this forum are expected to follow the guidelines here. When one post about a religion issue on this forum, It usually leads to one thing or another. That is the only reason why I removed the religion discussion posts. So, with that, religion freedom is one thing but to get defensive about it is another thing. It isn't always a good idea. :)

I hate how we can't punish our kids (non-abusive way) without getting in trouble with child protection services. :roll:

I regret the removal of the right to put children on a leash. ARGH! I wish children would be kept on a leash. (Pets always welcomed!)

Please, people--they are NOT spraying dogs and cats!

A cat can "spray" a human but most likely the vet will never spray a cat!

It is S P A Y, not SPRAY.

Quick note:
I think she meant STRAY, not SPRAY or SPAY.
:)

Stray dog: homeless domestic dog
Spay dog: disable reproductive organ in female dog
Spray dog: give dog shower outside with garden hose

("Spray dog" alternate meaning 1: urinate on dog)
("Spray dog" alternate meaning 2: some products such as flea and tick treatments are applied to dog using trigger nozzle on bottle)

:D

Alot of lost rights can be found from the past. Those darn whiny and ego government... :(

Quick note:
I think she meant STRAY, not SPRAY or SPAY.
:)

Stray dog: homeless domestic dog
Spay dog: disable reproductive organ in female dog
Spray dog: give dog shower outside with garden hose

("Spray dog" alternate meaning 1: urinate on dog)
("Spray dog" alternate meaning 2: some products such as flea and tick treatments are applied to dog using trigger nozzle on bottle)

:D
My post didn't refer to anyone in particular; apparently lots of people make that mistake. :)

It's one of my pet peeves when I see "spray" or worse yet, "spaded" (no, dogs aren't made sterile by being hit with shovels or buried in hole.)

My post didn't refer to anyone in particular; apparently lots of people make that mistake. :)

It's one of my pet peeves when I see "spray" or worse yet, "spaded" (no, dogs aren't made sterile by being hit with shovels or buried in hole.)

No worries .. I didn't mean to harm your reputation or anything, and I appreciate and admire your attitude. I was overly schooled in English grammar, so I think I understand how you feel about these kinds of errors. I was just having a little fun, hopefully not at your expense or anybody else's. I hope you'll forgive me as my skills in English grammar are slipping since losing my hearing.

To those of you who want to jump on that last sentence, it is because of the fact that I no longer hear or speak that my skills in English are declining, but not because I'm deaf. It's my fault for not realising how quickly I would forget my native language, and I should have began educating myself in it more. I once had the freedom to take refresher classes in college under any program I wanted, but that right has been taken away from me by overcharging education in this country. By the time that right is restored, I'm sure I'll need a good refresher course in English grammar :)

Someone already complained about her not able to smoke in the public where she lives now. Soon in every city will ban people to smoke on sidewalk.

I've finally moved to a place where I have the right to breathe smoke-free air .. 7 miles outside of town.

No worries .. I didn't mean to harm your reputation or anything, and I appreciate and admire your attitude. I was overly schooled in English grammar, so I think I understand how you feel about these kinds of errors. I was just having a little fun, hopefully not at your expense or anybody else's. I hope you'll forgive me as my skills in English grammar are slipping since losing my hearing.

To those of you who want to jump on that last sentence, it is because of the fact that I no longer hear or speak that my skills in English are declining, but not because I'm deaf. It's my fault for not realising how quickly I would forget my native language, and I should have began educating myself in it more. I once had the freedom to take refresher classes in college under any program I wanted, but that right has been taken away from me by overcharging education in this country. By the time that right is restored, I'm sure I'll need a good refresher course in English grammar :)
Your English grammar seems to be fine, and I certainly don't mind a little fun at AD. :lol:

As what reba just said --- Your english grammar is looking good, just stick with it :)

The list is endless with the rights we had before a lot of foreigners came here and cried wolf. Granted, harassment is harassment, which should stop, same with discrimination. However, we were a way freer country before those pesky politicians messed things up big time!

The list is endless with the rights we had before a lot of foreigners came here and cried wolf. Granted, harassment is harassment, which should stop, same with discrimination. However, we were a way freer country before those pesky politicians messed things up big time!

It is in their DNA to mess things up, Pek. :lol:

How easy it is to blame things on foriegners. How easy it is to shift the blame.

Back