Twinkies is going out of business !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really care. I buy Little Debbie snacks, not Hostess.

State income tax and unemployment tax are separate.

I'm not sure of your state, here in NYS has whats called OSDI Tax, that is for unemployment insurance, short term disability, etc. Union employees don't pay these tax but income tax yes. Remember unionized employees are considered as contractual employees and treated differently.
I have never heard of unemployment tax because it is paid by an employer, not employees.

Unemployment Insurance Tax

Unemployment Insurance (UI) Tax

The UI program is part of a national program administered by the U.S. Department of Labor under the Social Security Act. The UI program provides temporary payments to individuals who are unemployed through no fault of their own.

UI is paid by the employer. Tax-rated employers pay a percentage on the first $7,000 in wages paid to each employee in a calendar year. The UI rate schedule and amount of taxable wages are determined annually. New employers pay 3.4 percent (.034) for a period of two to three years. EDD notifies employers of their new rate each December. The maximum tax is $434 per employee per year. (Calculated at the highest UI tax rate of 6.2 percent x $7,000.)

Governmental and certain nonprofit employers may elect the reimbursable method of financing UI in which they reimburse the UI Fund on a dollar-for-dollar basis for all benefits paid to their former employees.

I know about SDI (State Disability Insurance). The state employees "buy" SDI by payroll deduction if they choose to do so. My wife is one of them. As for me, no, I don't get this offer because I work for USPS under the federal government so I pay SS tax in order to receive SSDI if I become disabled or retirement benefit when retired at MRA (minimum retirement age). Union membership has nothing to do with all of this. Meaning union members can buy SDI or pay SS tax or receive UI if laid-off no matter what.

So, the higher-ups blame the strike for their bankruptcy?

They can't afford to give their own employees raises?

Yet, they can afford to give themselves triple-raises?

Hostess Execs 300 Percent Raise | Gather

I was being kind with 15%. Waiting for the Conservative block to claim these execs made their own luck, and those union guys don't deserve a raise because they didn't earn it.

eh calm down folks. Twinkies are not going anywhere. They're not going out of business.... they're only filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to be freed from debt. Twinkies will still keep on coming.

this is nothing but an Internet ruse to scare people into buying all Twinkies. many many many many many many of your favorite toys/snacks have gone thru this already.

If you fail to connect the dots, let me help. The formula is composed of enormous quantities of greed, sprinkled with a dash of petulance. The big companies are crying foul, yet the CEOs continue to:
  • Find innovative ways to raise prices and lower costs
  • Ship more work to China, because Mexico is too expensive now
  • Reduce the size of product containers, while announcing: "New and improved" not "Reduced in size"
  • Keep raising their own salaries by 15% annually, regardless of the bottom line
  • Blame the floor workers for rising costs
  • Move the company, and sometimes themselves, offshore to avoid taxes

What a wonderful way to keep the poor in dead end poverty. Someone's vote cost the country 12,000,000 jobs.

Brilliant!

Another dot you haven't connected is that a certain political party warned that the unions were destroying jobs. Yet, that warning was mocked and ridiculed.

What a wonderful way to keep the poor in dead end poverty. Someone's vote cost the country 12,000,000 jobs.

Brilliant!

Another dot you haven't connected is that a certain political party warned that the unions were destroying jobs. Yet, that warning was mocked and ridiculed.
It is all about corporate greed. Don't go down the political road, or discussion is over.

Brilliant!

oh? I didn't know a company is run by government

My paystub shows, that is how I know. I checked and found out what it was for. Of course Federal has taxes that is billed directly to employer, again it depends on state want to add it on top of it.

And read the sentence "No fault of their own", strike and causing loss of job is not their fault of their own? Of course not!

I have never heard of unemployment tax because it is paid by an employer, not employees.

Unemployment Insurance Tax

I know about SDI (State Disability Insurance). The state employees "buy" SDI by payroll deduction if they choose to do so. My wife is one of them. As for me, no, I don't get this offer because I work for USPS under the federal government so I pay SS tax in order to receive SSDI if I become disabled or retirement benefit when retired at MRA (minimum retirement age). Union membership has nothing to do with all of this. Meaning union members can buy SDI or pay SS tax or receive UI if laid-off no matter what.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

Anyone can buy out and shut down and use factory for something else. Has it happened? Oh of course. Your too overconfident, disappointments and surprise is awaiting for you.

eh calm down folks. Twinkies are not going anywhere. They're not going out of business.... they're only filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy to be freed from debt. Twinkies will still keep on coming.

this is nothing but an Internet ruse to scare people into buying all Twinkies. many many many many many many of your favorite toys/snacks have gone thru this already.

I know that a strike is not an unemployment or lay-off.

From DD's post::

Losing their jobs means a lay-off (becoming unemployed) so I replied to that. Workers who are on strike can't get UI because they are still employed.

It's a grey area, you may get the unemployment, but you're not getting it under law. Thankfully, the states(at least Massachusetts) aren't too strict on this(they can't be).

The Bakers union went too far. The Teamsters realized the company was not solvent.

It is not that people were not buying Twinkies, it's the cost of producing the Twinkies. Any raise in cost is going to raise price which means less people buy less and workers get laid off.

It's not the union's job to upset this balance. It's the union's job to make sure the company pays fair share to the workers and doesn't take the lion's share of the revenue.

So you have a choice, raise cost and lay people off or close and lay people off. Either way, it's a condition of the economy.

We are all affected by rising health care. I work in Health Care and my benefits are not totally payed by company, that's a reality.

Jiro, good to see you back and hope you are doing well after Sandy, but NOT TRUE. The company is asking for the right to liquidate. The products will be sold, but the workers will probably not be hired by other companies due to over saturation in the junk food market.

My paystub shows, that is how I know. I checked and found out what it was for. Of course Federal has taxes that is billed directly to employer, again it depends on state want to add it on top of it.

And read the sentence "No fault of their own", strike and causing loss of job is their fault of their own? Of course not!
That's right. It's not the union members' fault for lay-off, thus they can get UI if laid-off which is repeatedly no fault of their own.

How? They voted, so they cast the decision whether to accept company offer or not. Same principle, if you quit job that is because you can't agree to the term that company provides to you so your at fault.

That's right. It's not the union members' fault for lay-off, thus they can get UI if laid-off which is repeatedly no fault of their own.

Here is example found in Kansas unemployment Insurance FAQ, can be denied, look the red font.
Link: https://www.getkansasbenefits.com/documents/eligibility_disqual.asp#denied

Are there reasons I can be denied benefits?

You can be denied benefits if:

• You have a medical condition that prevents you from seeking or accepting work
immediately.

• You are not available to seek or accept work immediately.

• You are receiving worker's compensation for temporary or permanent total disability under
the Worker's Compensation Law of any state.

• You are not a U.S. citizen or national and do not have legal work authorization.

• You have placed unreasonable restrictions on the wages, hours, days or location of a job
you will accept.

• You are not looking for work or you restrict your work search activities.

• You did not report for, or satisfactorily participate in, re–employment services when
required to do so.

• You are involved in a strike (labor dispute).

• You are self–employed.

• You are attending school or training, which prevents you from seeking or accepting work,
unless your school or training has been approved by KDOL as approved training.

• You are on a leave of absence from your job.

• You are a school employee who is unemployed between school terms.

• You have refused suitable work.

• You claim or receive unemployment insurance benefits under another state or federal law.

• You receive a back-pay award or settlement.

• You are employed by an educational institution and had a contract for work in a recently
completed academic year or term and have a contract or reasonable assurance of
employment with an educational institution in the same or similar position for the next
academic year or term.

• You are a substitute teacher.

• You are a school bus or other motor vehicle driver employed by a private contractor to
transport students and school personnel to or from school–related activities. You are
disqualified for benefits between academic years or terms if you have a contract or
reasonable assurance of employment with a private contractor for the next academic year
or term.

• You are an employee of governmental entities and certain nonprofit organizations that
provide services to or on behalf of an educational institution. You are disqualified for
benefits between academic years or terms if they have a contract or reasonable
assurance of employment for the next academic year or term.

• You are a professional athlete between sports seasons and you were employed in the
past sports season as a professional athlete and have a reasonable assurance of being
employed as a professional athlete in the following sports season.

• You are a student:

• in high school

• registered and attending an established school training facility or other educational
institution

• on vacation during or between two successive years or terms (for example, fall,
spring and summer breaks) unless you are:

ο working full time while attending school

ο attending approved training

ο attending evening, weekend or limited daytime classes and are otherwise
eligible.

Gotta love this thread. We were discussing about Twinkies going bye-bye and now we are agruing about union. lol

Union is the one that cause mess. That's why there is talk about Union.

Gotta love this thread. We were discussing about Twinkies going bye-bye and now we are agruing about union. lol

They are closing the bakery outlet in Des Moines, and the bakery itself in Cedar Rapids.

I believe they are actually going out of business. Their employees in Iowa have been terminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back