Twinkies is going out of business !

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just when some states legalized marijuana.....that's some bad timing.

Obama, the crisis in the Middle East, pot being legalized, and now twinkies going out of business...we're doomed. :roll:

Laura

Obama, the crisis in the Middle East, pot being legalized, and now twinkies going out of business...we're doomed. :roll:

Laura

What is your problem? It isn't president's thing to cause Hostess went bankrupt.

It is about dispute between 2 unions.

Businesses come and businesses go.

There are plenty of other places to get Twinkie-like ... things.

Last edited:
Poor RJ (Over the Hedge) and what he gonna do about it?!

11e548102848012f2fcc00163e41dd5b

It was posted last January 24th.

Laura

Don't worry. Some idiot business will buy it, take it over, and hire people at much lower wages (now that they don't have to deal with union legacy issues), and perpetuate the "Hell on Earth" being experienced by people in hospitals with heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Eventually, all these collective bargaining agreements will collapse when the other companies take it as far as Hostess/unions did. The unions pushed too far, and they ended up loosing their jobs. Can these union workers claim unemployment? I hope not. They need to learn a lesson... I don't know how much of the food industry is unionized, but I wonder if it's a significant number, causing food prices to rise (alongside monetary inflation via money printing).

Don't worry. Some idiot business will buy it, take it over, and hire people at much lower wages (now that they don't have to deal with union legacy issues), and perpetuate the "Hell on Earth" being experienced by people in hospitals with heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.

Eventually, all these collective bargaining agreements will collapse when the other companies take it as far as Hostess/unions did. The unions pushed too far, and they ended up loosing their jobs. Can these union workers claim unemployment? I hope not. They need to learn a lesson... I don't know how much of the food industry is unionized, but I wonder if it's a significant number, causing food prices to rise (alongside monetary inflation via money printing).
WTF are you talking about? Yes, they can if they are laid off just like everybody else. DUH!

In case people didn't get it, the cartoon was a jab at Ron Paul and his push for a modern gold standard. I'm not sure what the cartoonist was angling at other than making fun of the idea of a gold standard without realizing that it wouldn't be RP's administration that would start calling in people's gold like FDR did in 1933 via executive order 6102:

Executive Order 6102 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Executive Order 6102 required all persons to deliver on or before May 1, 1933, all but a small amount of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve, in exchange for $20.67 (equivalent to $371.10 today[3]) per troy ounce. Under the Trading With the Enemy Act of 1917, as amended by the recently passed Emergency Banking Act of March 9, 1933, violation of the order was punishable by fine up to $10,000 (equivalent to $180 thousand today[3]) or up to ten years in prison, or both. Most citizens who owned large amounts of gold had it transferred to countries such as Switzerland.[citation needed]

"Order 6102 specifically exempted "customary use in industry, profession or art"—a provision that covered artists, jewellers, dentists, and sign makers among others. The order further permitted any person to own up to $100 in gold coins (a face value equivalent to 5 troy ounces (160 g) of Gold valued at about $7800 as of 2011). The same paragraph also exempted "gold coins having recognized special value to collectors of rare and unusual coins." This protected recognized gold coin collections from legal seizure and likely melting."

This, in 1933, is when the US Gov't defaulted on the gold standard domestically. Fortunately, this executive order was replaced with another act at the end of 1974, legalizing ownership of gold bullion. Please keep in mind, though, that Nixon took us off the gold standard in 1971, causing the default on the gold standard internationally. Right now, there has never been a time in the past when ALL countries were not on a gold standard of some sort. This means that when one country went off the gold standard, its citizens could run off to trade their domestic paper currency for a foreign currency that was still gold-backed and have some protection against central-bank-induced inflation. Today, you cannot escape into anything except gold/silver/tangible things.

There is no Sound Money in place today in any country, though a few are starting to talk about it.

WTF are you talking about? Yes, they can if they are laid off just like everybody else. DUH!

And what happens to the unemployment kitty when companies shatter like this? How many will it take to break them? You savvy? Look at Greece, Spain, and Italy as a possible future for America if it continues down that road.

However, a restoration to minimal interference from government and healthy relationships between workers and companies needs to happen, and whoever buys these bankrupt companies to stop the unions can start over, as I mentioned before, free and clear of the union legacies. If the company is successful in restarting operations, maybe you'll find your Ho-Hos to be quite a bit cheaper than they are now.

And what happens to the unemployment kitty when companies shatter like this? How many will it take to break them? You savvy? Look at Greece, Spain, and Italy as a possible future for America if it continues down that road.

However, a restoration to minimal interference from government and healthy relationships between workers and companies needs to happen, and whoever buys these bankrupt companies to stop the unions can start over, as I mentioned before, free and clear of the union legacies. If the company is successful in restarting operations, maybe you'll find your Ho-Hos to be quite a bit cheaper than they are now.
IMO, Hostess is filing for bankruptcy because many people don't buy its products, not because of the union. For example, my kids hate its products so I am sure they are not the only ones. Hostess wants pay cuts due to poor business.

Last edited:
Union is dying, they have nothing but money to fight with. Union WAS good organization back in late 19th century because many industries owners back then don't give a damn about safety. They view safety as employees own problem. It is like if you happen to trip and got in open gear, your dead instantly. So union was formed to force companies install safety equipment and guards etc. Now with OSHA run by government, it makes union nearly obsolete.

Union employees lost job though strike, Unemployment Insurance will not cover, the union will cover the pay for the loss up to 6 months. I think, and Unemployment Insurance will NOT pay for lost time while picketing. In other word, Union (AFL-CIO) has its own insurance for wage losses.

Well, food is one of the last products that haven't been using China to manufacture 90% of the product. Something tells me that day is coming. Soon, the only jobs left in America that can even think about unionizing are dockworkers and shipping/trucking industries. The rest of the work can be sent away.

Many of European countries is union dominated, for instance, Germany requires companies to hire unions. Their unemployment rate is so high there in Europe than down here in the states, too obvious union is NOT working.

Yes, it is Union causing problem, they wanted two things from companies. First is PAY rate, second is Job security ("Outlaw the lay off"). Companies may want to cut the jobs by laying off, and Union was screaming NO! You can't lay off anyone. Yet business is dying, but union is NOT cooperating until the deadline offered by Hostess owners, hours after deadline, Union there realize they are f-king up and ask to agree to the term, the owner said "Too late".

IMO, Hostess is filing for a bankruptcy because many people don't buy its products, not because of the union. For example, my kids hate its products so I am sure they are not the only ones. Hostess wants pay cuts due to poor business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back