Twinkies is going out of business !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Union is dying, they have nothing but money to fight with. Union WAS good organization back in late 19th century because many industries owners back then don't give a damn about safety. They view safety as employees own problem. It is like if you happen to trip and got in open gear, your dead instantly. So union was formed to force companies install safety equipment and guards etc. Now with OSHA run by government, it makes union nearly obsolete.

Union employees lost job though strike, Unemployment Insurance will not cover, the union will cover the pay for the loss up to 6 months. I think, and Unemployment Insurance will NOT pay for lost time while picketing. In other word, Union (AFL-CIO) has its own insurance for wage losses.

You entitled your opinion about union. OSHA isn't union replacement to create a safety in workplaces and the union supported the congress to create OSHA in 1970's due to lacking of work safety in non-union workplaces, especially fast food and restaurant, so OSHA don't have same quality of work safety as unions do. If you want to have good work safety so work at unionized workplaces. There are a lot of accidents occurred at Walmart and they are not unionized, so they don't give a ratass about OSHA.

The work safety isn't only reason to support union because union offers pay, benefits, work condition, fair share and resolve the complaint between employees and employers. There are good and bad unions, just like corporations. There are many of my families are retired union workers and they share with us about unions.

Speaking about oversea, based on your logic, if companies want to move because of situation with union so they should move to southern states like South Carolina so it is difficult to form the union and unpopular in southern states. Many companies rather goes oversea like China than move to southern states because of many reasons, more than just union only.

Many of European countries is union dominated, for instance, Germany requires companies to hire unions. Their unemployment rate is so high there in Europe than down here in the states, too obvious union is NOT working.

Many European countries were hit so hard by recession and economic downturn, not unions.

The unemployment rate in Germany is lower than US.
Germany Unemployment Rate

Yes, it is Union causing problem, they wanted two things from companies. First is PAY rate, second is Job security ("Outlaw the lay off"). Companies may want to cut the jobs by laying off, and Union was screaming NO! You can't lay off anyone. Yet business is dying, but union is NOT cooperating until the deadline offered by Hostess owners, hours after deadline, Union there realize they are f-king up and ask to agree to the term, the owner said "Too late".

Most workers blame on poor management in Hostess more than union.

Don't point at Teamster union because they approved the contract but other union rejected.

See? There are good and bad unions.

Here, union paid factory gets like 40 or 50 dollars an hour compared to China, they get 40 to 50 cents an hour pay and they work MUCH harder than American workers (Its fact), so what the owner of factory is going to do?

Its like you know, if store A wants 50 cents for a bottle of coke, and store B wants 2 dollars a bottle for coke, which your going to buy from? Store A or Store B? Same thing with owner of business, if they find cheaper labor elsewhere, they will go for it. Calling company having bad management? Its like telling you, that if you choose store A over Store B due to cost, and one telling you going over store A is a bad management? Its really a Joke! Bottom line, do you have any idea whats top most expensive expenses that business owners got to pay? It is cost of labor.

Businesses come and businesses go.

There are plenty of other places to get Twinkie-like ... thinks. I've never known what exactly they are. heh.

Yeah but a lot of people will be losing their jobs and this is a really bad time with winter coming having to pay for heating bills and the holidays.

You entitled your opinion about union. OSHA isn't union replacement to create a safety in workplaces and the union supported the congress to create OSHA in 1970's due to lacking of work safety in non-union workplaces, especially fast food and restaurant, so OSHA don't have same quality of work safety as unions do. If you want to have good work safety so work at unionized workplaces. There are a lot of accidents occurred at Walmart and they are not unionized, so they don't give a ratass about OSHA.

The work safety isn't only reason to support union because union offers pay, benefits, work condition, fair share and resolve the complaint between employees and employers. There are good and bad unions, just like corporations. There are many of my families are retired union workers and they share with us about unions.

Speaking about oversea, based on your logic, if companies want to move because of situation with union so they should move to southern states like South Carolina so it is difficult to form the union and unpopular in southern states. Many companies rather goes oversea like China than move to southern states because of many reasons, more than just union only.
That's correct. Union has nothing to do with safety but will fight for members who got work-related injury and had hard times with OWCP. Thus, that's what OSHA is for. It's everywhere to protect ALL workers from hazard at work. By law, OSHA requires my employer to give weekly safety talks to everybody. At my workplace, recently someone reported the hazard to OSHA which found it unsafe and fined the management. BTW, union protects workers from unreasonable management such as pay, termination, grievances and so on.

Here, union paid factory gets like 40 or 50 dollars an hour compared to China, they get 40 to 50 cents an hour pay and they work MUCH harder than American workers (Its fact), so what the owner of factory is going to do?

Its like you know, if store A wants 50 cents for a bottle of coke, and store B wants 2 dollars a bottle for coke, which your going to buy from? Store A or Store B? Same thing with owner of business, if they find cheaper labor elsewhere, they will go for it.

The companies do care about bigger profits and doesn't want share a fair with employees. Like I said, there are many reasons that caused companies go to China, especially corporate tax, poor labor regulation, lack of enforcement over work safety, more than just union only. If it is union only, why they don't move to South Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana or Georgia, so my point is not much issue with union. Make 40 to 50 cents per hour are poverty and you can't afford anything with those pay.

My families, especially union workers are working hard as Chinese workers does. There are some lazy workers in union for sure but I see plenty of lazy workers at Walmart - the non-union workplace.

The food price at unionized grocery stores are just similar as Publix does, but Publix isn't unionized, so food prices are pretty higher than Walmart.

I am curious why Twinkies went out? Is it because Unions decided to strike for better compensations and Twinkies said too bad that is it!!! You don't like my deal---"ok fine, we'll close down". I wonder if Twinkies had the money to survive a strike like those big corporations and this was just an arrogant move on Twinkies' part? Or were Twinkies just getting by and just cannot afford workers strike or they'll lose money?

Yeah but a lot of people will be losing their jobs and this is a really bad time with winter coming having to pay for heating bills and the holidays.

True, but someone else will buy Twinkies product. Maybe they'll hire...hopefully...

That's correct. Union has nothing to do with safety but will fight for members who got work-related injury and had hard times with OWCP. Thus, that's what OSHA is for. It's everywhere to protect ALL workers from hazard at work. By law, OSHA requires my employer to give weekly safety talks to everybody. At my workplace, recently someone reported the hazard to OSHA which found it unsafe and fined the managment. BTW, union protects workers from unreasonable managment.

At Walmart, the manager forced me to use forklift without license and I think about policy under OSHA required to be licensed to use forklift, so my manager said that's not true, go get pallet of pet foods down, hurry, hurry, hurry... I managed to got pallet down without hurt others and my body got shake so badly. I just reported to co-manager and they told me to stop complain, and go focus on work.

I have many accidents, related to work, due to my usher syndrome and got bullied by other workers. I reported to manager and they don't care. After got warning about termination due to many accidents, so I decided to resign from workplace in last 2 years ago.

I am curious why Twinkies went out? Is it because Unions decided to strike for better compensations and Twinkies said too bad that is it!!! You don't like my deal---"ok fine, we'll close down". I wonder if Twinkies had the money to survive a strike like those big corporations and this was just an arrogant move on Twinkies' part? Or were Twinkies just getting by and just cannot afford workers strike or they'll lose money?

Did you read article? It is about dispute between 2 unions.

Most workers blame on poor management.

Did you read article? It is about dispute between 2 unions.

Most workers blame on poor management.

I read it now. Yeah, it's sad how there are different unions in one company. I had often thought that a larger companies had one union. Sure, UPS has 1 union or am I wrong? Interesting that Twinkies companies had more than 1 union for workers. Yeah, that is poor. One would have to figure that any work place that has more than 1 union would eventually come to a crashing halt!!!

Its like you know, if store A wants 50 cents for a bottle of coke, and store B wants 2 dollars a bottle for coke, which your going to buy from? Store A or Store B? Same thing with owner of business, if they find cheaper labor elsewhere, they will go for it. Calling company having bad management? Its like telling you, that if you choose store A over Store B due to cost, and one telling you going over store A is a bad management? Its really a Joke! Bottom line, do you have any idea whats top most expensive expenses that business owners got to pay? It is cost of labor.
Actually, many of us feel sorry for cheap laborers. Don't you?

I read it now. Yeah, it's sad how there are different unions in one company. I had often thought that a larger companies had one union. Sure, UPS has 1 union or am I wrong? Interesting that Twinkies companies had more than 1 union for workers. Yeah, that is poor. One would have to figure that any work place that has more than 1 union would eventually come to a crashing halt!!!

Yup, it is pretty messy.

The GM and Chrysler bankruptcy went well after made a deal by UAW, so they only have one union, so easy to get out of bankruptcy, but 2 unions with different philosophies - more challenged.

Yes, UPS only have one union - Teamster.

Actually, many of us feel sorry for cheap laborers. Don't you?

Of course, I feel bad for them.

I will not take any jobs with little $$$$, however I think about want run the business or self employed if I don't find any jobs after completion of bachelor degree. I will have internship as well.

Of course, I feel bad for them.

I will not take any jobs with little $$$$, however I think about want run the business or self employed if I don't find any jobs after completion of bachelor degree. I will have internship as well.
Yeah, I forgot to add that they work like hell and yet 2-4 families have to share a house. WTF? All I can say is that those laborers are ripped off by filthy rich CEO.

Yeah, I forgot to add that they work like hell and yet 2-4 families have to share a house. WTF? All I can say is that those laborers are ripped off by filthy rich CEO.

Nope, no one forces them to take the job. They are free to start their own business. As Foxrac suggested doing.

Wirelessly posted

We are doomed , I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back