Twinkies is going out of business !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Moore must be devastated.

Yeah but a lot of people will be losing their jobs and this is a really bad time with winter coming having to pay for heating bills and the holidays.

Hopefully, another company will buy the Twinkie brand and keep making them, maybe hiring these people back.

But if the product doesn't sell, it doesn't sell.

It's like the buggy whips when automobiles became popular. Buggy whip manufacturers went out of business, too, because no one wanted buggy whips anymore. Do those workers keep looking for buggy whip jobs or move on to something else?

This happens in business all the time. I'm not going to worry about the loss of Twinkies, because maybe fewer people will get heart attacks.

The loss of jobs is very unfortunate, though. I hope the company will help them find other jobs before they close the doors.

hopefully, another company will buy the twinkie brand and keep making them, maybe hiring these people back.

But if the product doesn't sell, it doesn't sell.

It's like the buggy whips when automobiles became popular. Buggy whip manufacturers went out of business, too, because no one wanted buggy whips anymore. Do those workers keep looking for buggy whip jobs or move on to something else?

This happens in business all the time. I'm not going to worry about the loss of twinkies, because maybe fewer people will get heart attacks.

The loss of jobs is very unfortunate, though. I hope the company will help them find other jobs before they close the doors.

Bingo!

I bet when Obama bailed GM (or Ford or Chrysler?) out, he told them to make BETTER cars. Therefore, when the company is going out of business, it needs to make something better to attract customers. Competition is tough.

Bingo!

I bet when Obama bailed GM (or Ford or Chrysler?) out, he told them to make BETTER cars. Therefore, when the company is going out of business, it needs to make something better to attract customers. Competition is tough.

Ford didn't get bailout, but GM and Chrysler got bailout.

Wirelessly posted

I had loved to eat Twinkies during my childhood times. I'm sad about closing Hostess.

Wirelessly posted

I will miss Twinkies :(

WTF are you talking about? Yes, they can if they are laid off just like everybody else. DUH!

This is not true. It depends on the state. I'm not sure if any unions contribute to unemployment benefits. I do know that when my union friends are on strike the union doesn't pay their salaries at all.

Unemployment claims rise to 417,000 in latest week - Aug. 25, 2011

While I do realize this is a state issue, the people on strike are basically choosing not to work and are therefor not laid off.

This is not true. It depends on the state. I'm not sure if any unions contribute to unemployment benefits. I do know that when my union friends are on strike the union doesn't pay their salaries at all.

While I do realize this is a state issue, the people on strike are basically choosing not to work and are therefor not laid off.

I'm pretty sure NFL union helped NFL players in time of hardship last year-----especially those that cannot do on million of dollars. Can you imagine? I hear nothing about union helping those millionaire hockey players. I wonder if they're getting any help right now.

Going on strike is not a benefit-paying situation, from the UI viewpoint. I have been through strikes before. The union might pay you a few dollars for picket duty, but UI payment does not happen. It is a choice to leave your job, according to them.

I can't believe they could not sell Twinkies to someone else to own and produce.
They have so many references to them in American culture.
It's tough to imagine America with no Twinkies.
What will truck stops and rest areas offer for sale now??

That was 18,500 jobs lost. 681,500 jobs left to go. We are 39 days until the fiscal cliff.

I know that a strike is not an unemployment or lay-off.

From DD's post::
The unions pushed too far, and they ended up loosing their jobs. Can these union workers claim unemployment? I hope not

Losing their jobs means a lay-off (becoming unemployed) so I replied to that. Workers who are on strike can't get UI because they are still employed.

Unionized employees pays dues to union, while non-union pays taxes to states which includes unemployment insurance, Union employees don't pay these portion of taxes. I was union member and I didn't pay unemployment taxes. I was told if I was let go, union will pay m, and the truth is MUCH MUCH less than Unemployment insurance pays out.

Losing their jobs means a lay-off (becoming unemployed) so I replied to that. Workers who are on strike can't get UI because they are still employed.

In case people didn't get it, the cartoon was a jab at Ron Paul and his push for a modern gold standard. I'm not sure what the cartoonist was angling at other than making fun of the idea of a gold standard without realizing that it wouldn't be RP's administration that would start calling in people's gold like FDR did in 1933 via executive order 6102:

Executive Order 6102 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Executive Order 6102 required all persons to deliver on or before May 1, 1933, all but a small amount of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve, in exchange for $20.67 (equivalent to $371.10 today[3]) per troy ounce. Under the Trading With the Enemy Act of 1917, as amended by the recently passed Emergency Banking Act of March 9, 1933, violation of the order was punishable by fine up to $10,000 (equivalent to $180 thousand today[3]) or up to ten years in prison, or both. Most citizens who owned large amounts of gold had it transferred to countries such as Switzerland.[citation needed]

"Order 6102 specifically exempted "customary use in industry, profession or art"—a provision that covered artists, jewellers, dentists, and sign makers among others. The order further permitted any person to own up to $100 in gold coins (a face value equivalent to 5 troy ounces (160 g) of Gold valued at about $7800 as of 2011). The same paragraph also exempted "gold coins having recognized special value to collectors of rare and unusual coins." This protected recognized gold coin collections from legal seizure and likely melting."

This, in 1933, is when the US Gov't defaulted on the gold standard domestically. Fortunately, this executive order was replaced with another act at the end of 1974, legalizing ownership of gold bullion. Please keep in mind, though, that Nixon took us off the gold standard in 1971, causing the default on the gold standard internationally. Right now, there has never been a time in the past when ALL countries were not on a gold standard of some sort. This means that when one country went off the gold standard, its citizens could run off to trade their domestic paper currency for a foreign currency that was still gold-backed and have some protection against central-bank-induced inflation. Today, you cannot escape into anything except gold/silver/tangible things.

There is no Sound Money in place today in any country, though a few are starting to talk about it.

Well, according to Michael Fry (Over the Hedge writer - not artist) blog on that strip:

Michael Fry said:
Twinkie Deathwatch: Day Two, The Snack Cake Standard

My logic here is a bit off. If you’re going to base your monetary system on something (which is a bad idea for a lot of reasons) it should be something relatively rare like gold or silver. Twinkies are fairly plentiful – at least right now. Of course, if there were a Twinkie Standard one would assume you’d need to stockpile Twikies in some sort of Twinkie Ft. Knox resulting in at least a short-term shortage. In fact a Twinkie Standard could require the nationalization of any private Strategic Twinkie Reserve such as RJ’s. So, perhaps, it’s not completely off base.

Bottom line? You probably shouldn’t rely on a comic strip featuring talking animals with thumbs for accurate information on monetary policy.

You’re welcome.

Source: January | 2012 | Over the Hedge

Unionized employees pays dues to union, while non-union pays taxes to states which includes unemployment insurance, Union employees don't pay these portion of taxes. I was union member and I didn't pay unemployment taxes. I was told if I was let go, union will pay m, and the truth is MUCH MUCH less than Unemployment insurance pays out.
I have never heard of that. USPS employees must pay state taxes whether they are union members or not. Union members can write their dues off on their income tax returns.

All I know is that APWU (postal union) sells short-term and long-term disability insurances which are good for the members who don't pay SS taxes under the old system, CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back