Tropical storm Irene approaches

PFH: Didn't we (Alabama) just get pummeled by the tornadoes this year? Check out how many tornadoes we get per year.... Even just the north area.
However, I understand the flood zones thing. That makes more sense because floods are somewhat more predictable in terms of boundary area that can potentially be damaged.

I'm quite worried about this hurricane... I am supposed to fly to Miami for my mom's birthday on Thursday night....

:shock:

I know what you mean. I get PTSD feelings every time we have a wind storm. Last week's storm put a huge tree limb thru our neighbor's roof, into the house and garage. Trees surrounding our house are twice as tall as the house. Ugh!

Same here.. I still get teary when I hear a generator running.. It is like a trigger!! I panic sometimes during storms. So I know the feeling Reba. You went through Hugo.. I was in SC and saw the aftermath. WOW!!

Hurricane Charley survivor here. :wave:

We also had Frances, Ivan, Jeanne. In 2004... Charley was the worst. I was in Lake Wales.. almost 70 miles from the beach... The devastation was UNREAL...homes destroyed, Just like you would see on the coast. Hardee County was also devastated!

People,... Just because you are inland does not mean you are safe, if you are in the path of the storm.

Same here.. I still get teary when I hear a generator running.. It is like a trigger!! I panic sometimes during storms. So I know the feeling Reba. You went through Hugo.. I was in SC and saw the aftermath. WOW!!

We also had Frances, Ivan, Jeanne. In 2004... Charley was the worst. I was in Hardee county.. almost 70 miles from the beach... The devastation was UNREAL...homes destroyed, Just like you would see on the coast.

People,... Just because you are inland does not mean you are safe, if you are in the path of the storm.

We got a "taste' of Ivan, Irene (the first time around), Katrina (BEFORE she destroyed New Orleans), and a slew of others. The worst hurricane I've ever been in, though, was NOT a Cat 3, 4, or 5. It was Hurricane Georges (downgraded) to a category 2 hurricane back in 1998, TWO MONTHS after I moved in with my parents. It was like "Hello, Ocean. Imma show you what's up!"

We evacuated for that one. The center of the storm (known as the eye) came over the islands about 15 miles from where I live. When we came back, this beautiful place was like a war zone. As catastrophic as I know a cat 4-5 is, I STILL have great respect for the "baby" hurricanes, too. The damage done by Georges was devestating to see.

We also had Frances, Ivan, Jeanne. In 2004... Charley was the worst. I was in Lake Wales.. almost 70 miles from the beach... The devastation was UNREAL...homes destroyed, Just like you would see on the coast. Hardee County was also devastated!

Hearing/seeing the news coverage/forecasts of these storms are what get to me. I've been a nervous wreck since Saturday. I actually welcome a generator, but I don't make light of what you're saying Babyblue. These storms are terrifying; especially when you ride one out or come back after evacuation and SEE the devastation they can bring. :hug:

I also echo what you said about being inland. The floods from these storms are usually what can get people who are inland. If you're area is in the path of a storm, I WOULD NOT take it lightly, whether I was inland or not.

Hearing/seeing the news coverage/forecasts of these storms are what get to me. I've been a nervous wreck since Saturday. I actually welcome a generator, but I don't make light of what you're saying Babyblue. These storms are terrifying; especially when you ride one out or come back after evacuation and SEE the devastation they can bring. :hug:

I also echo what you said about being inland. The floods from these storms are usually what can get people who are inland. If you're area is in the path of a storm, I WOULD NOT take it lightly, whether I was inland or not.

I edited my post... LOL I was living in Lake Wales when the storm hit. Went to Hardee county.. they were also devastated.

Not just the flooding.. The storm blew by us with a substane wind of 145 INLAND. It was the wind damage the destroyed us the most. The flooding did not happen to after Frances showed up at our front door.

:wave:

Exactly.

This is one time I hope Fox News is wrong.

They just reported that Irene has changed her predicted track more to the north.

They said Charleston, SC, is the most likely landfall. Irene will probably be a Category 3 by then.

I had been thinking, Cat 1 isn't much more than a bad storm.

Cat 3? Gulp!

This is one time I hope Fox News is wrong.

They just reported that Irene has changed her predicted track more to the north.

They said Charleston, SC, is the most likely landfall. Irene will probably be a Category 3 by then.

I had been thinking, Cat 1 isn't much more than a bad storm.

Cat 3? Gulp!

This one has everyone on their toes along the East Coast. I am hoping it will curve out back in to the Atlantic.

Hurricane Irene: Forecasters predicting storm could hit Charleston
Associated Press
Monday, August 22, 2011

CHARLESTON — The latest forecast from the National Hurricane Center indicates South Carolina could get hit by Hurricane Irene later this week.

The latest advisory from the Hurricane Center indicates the storm could make landfall in the Charleston area as a major hurricane Saturday. But there can be sizeable errors in a forecast so far out. If Irene does hit, it could be the first major hurricane to hit the South Carolina coast since Hurricane Hugo 22 years ago.

A major hurricane has winds of more than 110 mph. Irene is near Puerto Rico with 75 mph winds.

Joe Farmer of the state Emergency Management Division says officials will be on the phone this afternoon with the Federal Emergency Management Agency getting updates.

He says coastal residents should monitor Irene closely.

Charleston.net

Hurricane Irene: Forecasters predicting storm could hit Charleston
Associated Press
Monday, August 22, 2011

CHARLESTON — The latest forecast from the National Hurricane Center indicates South Carolina could get hit by Hurricane Irene later this week.

The latest advisory from the Hurricane Center indicates the storm could make landfall in the Charleston area as a major hurricane Saturday. But there can be sizeable errors in a forecast so far out. If Irene does hit, it could be the first major hurricane to hit the South Carolina coast since Hurricane Hugo 22 years ago.

A major hurricane has winds of more than 110 mph. Irene is near Puerto Rico with 75 mph winds.

Joe Farmer of the state Emergency Management Division says officials will be on the phone this afternoon with the Federal Emergency Management Agency getting updates.

He says coastal residents should monitor Irene closely.

Charleston.net

People should not focus on the line in the middle. The weather man from NHC said everyone that is in the cone of possibility should be keeping an eye on this storm. It is still quite a ways away and it can wobble and change paths.

PFH: Didn't we (Alabama) just get pummeled by the tornadoes this year? Check out how many tornadoes we get per year.... Even just the north area.
However, I understand the flood zones thing. That makes more sense because floods are somewhat more predictable in terms of boundary area that can potentially be damaged.

I'm quite worried about this hurricane... I am supposed to fly to Miami for my mom's birthday on Thursday night....

:shock:

Yes. Are you suggesting that the northern part of bama be cleared too?

I was not here for the hurricanes that came through between the years 1996 and 2009. MIL has been keeping herself posted with Irene. She has the lawn guy coming back out today to cut down a couple more trees that she is concerned about and then my kids are cleaning up the yard. We have stocked up on water and canned goods. We also have plenty of gas in vehicles, gas cans, and all 3 chain saws. I have 7 bags of charcoal and 5 bottles of starter fluid. 6 boxes of matches in the waterproof bags. We just refilled all prescriptions and made sure that all cell phones (ours are pre-paid) have time on them. Depending on the storm, we will know when to put up the shutters on the house. They will go on the garage tonight for safety and security.

Oceanbreeze got a hold of me last evening to let me know her concerns and I appreciate that.

When we went to Lake Wales recently, we saw where a lot of damage occurred and were surprised at how well the cleanup was done. They are being careful about rebuilding.

I am basically 8-10 miles inland of West Palm Beach inlet. We also have the Island of Palm Beach just East of us, then the ocean. For those that know the Florida coastline roads, think I-95 and go west 6 miles. Or think the Palm Beach International Airport West end of runway, and go 1 mile farther West. That's me.

I am keeping in my thoughts, Dismal Shadow (Puerto Rico), OceanBreeze, BabvyBlue, Rockin Robin, Maria (old ADer in Miami I think), Reba, Beach Girl and all others on the East coast. Hold tight everybody!!

I really don't look forward to this. :(

I live on the coastline too. Newburyport , Ma. was a very busy seaport city
at one time!

I think I will stock up on bottled water and canned goods! and buy Marty more dog food! Made sure you have batteries, candles matches etc!

Last edited:
I am hoping this one will take the same track as Floyd did. I was in St Augustine when Floyed brushed the coast. It eventually went back out to sea. This storm is large like Floyd was. All of you guys are in my thoughts too.

I am hoping this one will take the same track as Floyd did. I was in St Augustine when Floyed brushed the coast. It eventually went back out to sea. This storm is large like Floyd was. All of you guys are in my thoughts too.

I'm just hoping it magically goes away!!! I was just watching the Weather Channel. BAD IDEA!!! I'm not saying I should stick my head in the sand here, but, this is REALLY starting to scare me, so on that note, I echo Kristina above me and I wish everyone who is in the potential path of this storm safety and well being. Now, for my own emotional and mental well being, I'm outta this thread!

Anxiety stinks! :(

Love you all! :ily:

Stay safe!

I'm just hoping it magically goes away!!! I was just watching the Weather Channel. BAD IDEA!!! I'm not saying I should stick my head in the sand here, but, this is REALLY starting to scare me, so on that note, I echo Kristina above me and I wish everyone who is in the potential path of this storm safety and well being. Now, for my own emotional and mental well being, I'm outta this thread!

Anxiety stinks! :(

Love you all! :ily:

Stay safe!

You too, stay safe!

Back