Tropical storm Irene approaches

No problem for me. :P

Marty saw his first snake yesterday! It was a garden snake and Marty jumped back when he saw it ! Me too! I did not know what kind of snake it was at first. I think the snake was more frighten than all of us as it got out there fast!

The Bartonsville Covered Bridge was a wooden covered bridge in the village of Bartonsville, in Rockingham, Vermont, United States. Built in 1870 by Sanford Granger, the bridge was a lattice truss style with a 151 foot span across the Williams River. The bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

It was located on Lower Bartonsville Road, a paved road a short distance north from Vermont Route 103. Nearby, to the east, is the Worrall Covered Bridge, also built by Granger.

On August 28, 2011, the bridge was destroyed by flash flooding related to the landfall of Hurricane Irene on the U.S. east coast.

nope... far far far from it.

I'm leaving on Thurs... returning back on Sunday. Gotta prepare for some groping and grabbing :aw:

Shame, and we are literally just north of you across the border. I have a friend that lives in Monroe/West Monroe.

[/B]

Good post and spot on! As to the bolded part, seriously? That's just nuts.

NYC have huge media coverage. #1 tv market in nation and that is why NYC have 2 football and baseball teams.

I am not surprise to hear that.

Beach Girl

Wondering if you made it back to your NC place. If so, what condition did you find things in?

Yup, I'm back. House and car - not a scratch on either one of 'em. Perfect condition.

The worst that happened to us was that the pool had a lot of seaweed and grass and debris and whatnot in it, including a dead bird with a broken neck, poor thing. So we cleaned that up pretty quickly; hubby vacuumed it all out and dumped in the appropriate chemicals, and we're good to go.

The flooding did come into our neighborhood; you can see where the vegetation was burned off by the salt water. But most houses didn't have any damage at all. One house got flooded on the lower level, and the owner had to throw out cabinets, some carpeting, etc. I think she had a game room or something like that in that lower-level room.

It didn't reach our lot though, or even come very close to it. When we chose this particular lot, one reason for the choice was that it was out of the flood plain. Then after we bought, the NC powers that be decided "oh, yeah, let's make this in the flood plain too." So we are, by something like 3 inches. BUT - in actual fact, we're high enough that we got no flooding from either ocean, sound, or rain water.

Now for the bad news: An historic cottage almost directly behind our subdivision, known as "the Stinson ranch" was obliterated. It was built in 1903, on what was then the sound-side beach. The shoreline changed over the decades, and eventually it was sitting out over the water, connected to the shoreline by a pier. It has seen many hurricanes come and go.

This one emptied out all the waters of the Sound when the winds came from the south. Then a few hours later, the tide turned, and whoosh! It was like a miniature tsunami. The waters came back with a vengeance, and destroyed this cottage entirely, nothing left but the pilings. Another one was damaged so badly it will have to be removed.

A House Above Water | Our State Magazine

(Story about the Stinson ranch about a year ago in "Our State" magazine.)

The Daily Reflector

(Story and picture gallery of the "ranch" and the pilings that now remain.)

Downtown Manteo got absolutely walloped, with 3 to 4 feet of water flooding the town. My two favorite places, the yarn store and the book store, both independent small businesses, were completely flooded and probably will not re-open.

Soundside flooding was the worst anyone has seen in years.

The road to Hatteras has been breached in at least 5 places, with one breach so severe it actually is a new inlet between ocean and Sound. There is no way on or off the island other than emergency ferry right now, and for some time to come.

So - we are counting our blessings personally, but there is a lot of devastation around, and some people's lives have changed dramatically. Even a Category 1 storm can be horrific for the unlucky ones who are flooded out of their homes and/or businesses.

Beachgirl, glad your huse is ok.

Two nights ago, I had a very very disturbing dream that a Cat 3 hurricane hit the Baltimore area head on. I dreamed that I was screaming to my hubby about evacuating but he kept saying that it was nothing and we could go into the basement. Then, after that I remember us driving on I-70 from West Virginia back to Baltimore. Then, we found our house completely flattened. After that, I woke up in a panic, looking around in my surroundings thinking it was real. After a minute, I realized it was a dream but I went downstairs to check National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report. Sure enough, there was a new storm brewing in the Atlantic forecasted to be a major Cat 3 hurricane (Katia) with its current path headed straight to North Carolina. Now, I wonder if my dream is my subconsicous trying to tell me something. I hope I am wrong...:(

Beachgirl, glad your huse is ok.

Two nights ago, I had a very very disturbing dream that a Cat 3 hurricane hit the Baltimore area head on. I dreamed that I was screaming to my hubby about evacuating but he kept saying that it was nothing and we could go into the basement. Then, after that I remember us driving on I-70 from West Virginia back to Baltimore. Then, we found our house completely flattened. After that, I woke up in a panic, looking around in my surroundings thinking it was real. After a minute, I realized it was a dream but I went downstairs to check National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report. Sure enough, there was a new storm brewing in the Atlantic forecasted to be a major Cat 3 hurricane (Katia) with its current path headed straight to North Carolina. Now, I wonder if my dream is my subconsicous trying to tell me something. I hope I am wrong...:(

So far, Katia has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm. Lee is not very active and we also have Maria or storm number 13 out there.

Yup, I'm back. House and car - not a scratch on either one of 'em. Perfect condition.

The worst that happened to us was that the pool had a lot of seaweed and grass and debris and whatnot in it, including a dead bird with a broken neck, poor thing. So we cleaned that up pretty quickly; hubby vacuumed it all out and dumped in the appropriate chemicals, and we're good to go.

The flooding did come into our neighborhood; you can see where the vegetation was burned off by the salt water. But most houses didn't have any damage at all. One house got flooded on the lower level, and the owner had to throw out cabinets, some carpeting, etc. I think she had a game room or something like that in that lower-level room.

It didn't reach our lot though, or even come very close to it. When we chose this particular lot, one reason for the choice was that it was out of the flood plain. Then after we bought, the NC powers that be decided "oh, yeah, let's make this in the flood plain too." So we are, by something like 3 inches. BUT - in actual fact, we're high enough that we got no flooding from either ocean, sound, or rain water.

Now for the bad news: An historic cottage almost directly behind our subdivision, known as "the Stinson ranch" was obliterated. It was built in 1903, on what was then the sound-side beach. The shoreline changed over the decades, and eventually it was sitting out over the water, connected to the shoreline by a pier. It has seen many hurricanes come and go.

This one emptied out all the waters of the Sound when the winds came from the south. Then a few hours later, the tide turned, and whoosh! It was like a miniature tsunami. The waters came back with a vengeance, and destroyed this cottage entirely, nothing left but the pilings. Another one was damaged so badly it will have to be removed.

A House Above Water | Our State Magazine

(Story about the Stinson ranch about a year ago in "Our State" magazine.)

The Daily Reflector

(Story and picture gallery of the "ranch" and the pilings that now remain.)

Downtown Manteo got absolutely walloped, with 3 to 4 feet of water flooding the town. My two favorite places, the yarn store and the book store, both independent small businesses, were completely flooded and probably will not re-open.

Soundside flooding was the worst anyone has seen in years.

The road to Hatteras has been breached in at least 5 places, with one breach so severe it actually is a new inlet between ocean and Sound. There is no way on or off the island other than emergency ferry right now, and for some time to come.

So - we are counting our blessings personally, but there is a lot of devastation around, and some people's lives have changed dramatically. Even a Category 1 storm can be horrific for the unlucky ones who are flooded out of their homes and/or businesses.
I'm so glad that your house and car were unscathed. Whew!

I'm sorry that your local landmarks and businesses were destroyed. That's always sad. :(

It's heartbreaking for those people personally, and for those of us who cared about them. I joined a bunch of people helping out the woman who owns the yarn store. She had to clear all her stuff out - including not just the ruined yarns, but all her sales racks, wall displays, etc. - so the landlord can come in, clean, make repairs and so on. She says she will not re-open.

This is her site: Fine Yarns At Kimbeeba

Knitters and crocheters can look at those huge stacks of beautiful yarns and understand what a tremendous loss this is.

Gorgeous yarns, by far the best yarn store around, and a nice convivial place to meet to work on projects. She was always great at explaining how to do a tricky stitch or suggest the perfect yarn for a pattern, or the perfect pattern for a yarn you fell in love with.

In the ultimate scheme of things, the destruction of the contents of a yarn store is not so much as compared to the loss of life, or the loss of 1,100 homes destroyed state-wide. And I don't even know the number of homes destroyed all up the East coast, including NJ and Vermont that were so badly hit.

But for those of us on this little island, it is a tremendous loss of an important and enjoyable and social part of our lives.

It's heartbreaking for those people personally, and for those of us who cared about them. I joined a bunch of people helping out the woman who owns the yarn store. She had to clear all her stuff out - including not just the ruined yarns, but all her sales racks, wall displays, etc. - so the landlord can come in, clean, make repairs and so on. She says she will not re-open.

This is her site: Fine Yarns At Kimbeeba

Knitters and crocheters can look at those huge stacks of beautiful yarns and understand what a tremendous loss this is.

Gorgeous yarns, by far the best yarn store around, and a nice convivial place to meet to work on projects. She was always great at explaining how to do a tricky stitch or suggest the perfect yarn for a pattern, or the perfect pattern for a yarn you fell in love with.

In the ultimate scheme of things, the destruction of the contents of a yarn store is not so much as compared to the loss of life, or the loss of 1,100 homes destroyed state-wide. And I don't even know the number of homes destroyed all up the East coast, including NJ and Vermont that were so badly hit.

But for those of us on this little island, it is a tremendous loss of an important and enjoyable and social part of our lives.

I can't help but wonder from the looks of some plies, in some places, of stuff being thrown out if some of it isn't a matter to giving up on some items too soon. Some really looks like it would clean up to usable (maybe not new) condition.

Like couldn't a good deal of that yarn be sold at a discount and the purchaser wash before making something from it?

She is able to salvage some of it. Those pictures on her web-site of course are *before* the storm hit! That's her shop in its normal state.

Everything on shelves from the 3-foot high level and down is ruined. Salt water will do that to yarn.

Some of the things on the highest shelves that were higher than the flood waters were salvageable. Some, though, got moldy and discolored and really can't be saved.

I was in there buying stuff just a few days before this storm hit, and trying to be disciplined, only bought enough for a couple projects I wanted to work on, thinking I'd be back to buy more later.

Well, of course now I've finished one project (a pretty shawl) and I would have been ready to buy more for my winter projects - and will have to shop elsewhere.

She received a shipment of yarn as I was paying for what I was buying that day. After finishing ringing up my purchase, she opened the box, and we both oohed and aahed over the new stuff. As it happens, those yarns were saved because she put them on a top shelf, just by chance.

She took everything to her home and will sort through it, and what can be sold, she'll try to sell on-line or to her regular customers. What is salveageable though is a small fraction of what she had in the store.

Stuff like her sales racks and things I think she's going to try to sell.

Back