Tropical storm Irene approaches

The water was isolated to a part of the basement away from the heater. Besides, the heater is not on the ground anyway. My hubby put up a wall of towels in that area so the water didnt spread out.

It was all good.

thank you.

That good! Some people do not think about the risk of going into a flooded basement.
I heard on the news 38 people dies from the storm, the numbers of deaths keep going up! :( It could had been worst if some people had stayed and drove
out storm.

Raging Waters in Vermont from Hurricane Irene

Scary! It's broken the record flood stage as well on the one of the creeks.

I talked to 2 people in Brattleboro VT today. That is where I am going in a couple of weeks for an academic meeting. They were hit really hard. The street where my motel is was completely underwater, and many of the stores downtown have suffered a huge amount of flood damage. One woman told me this is the worst they have seen it since 1927.

RT 18 highway was flooded near my apartment. Some people were evacuated. Only some broken tree branches all over the apartment complex property. Power was still on which surprised me at most.

A guy jetskiied on the street in Newark, NJ.. the photo was posted on twitter. :giggle:

NJ Transit is still closed due to some damages as of today. NJ PATH and NYC subways are open and still running. But, NJ transit will be reopened tomorrow morning according to the website.

Yes, I went to work. :aw:

I talked to 2 people in Brattleboro VT today. That is where I am going in a couple of weeks for an academic meeting. They were hit really hard. The street where my motel is was completely underwater, and many of the stores downtown have suffered a huge amount of flood damage. One woman told me this is the worst they have seen it since 1927.

Wow..will you still be able to go? I couldnt believe that Vermont of all of the states got hit the hardest.

RT 18 highway was flooded near my apartment. Some people were evacuated. Only some broken tree branches all over the apartment complex property. Power was still on which surprised me at most.

A guy jetskiied on the street in Newark, NJ.. the photo was posted on twitter. :giggle:

NJ Transit is still closed due to some damages as of today. NJ PATH and NYC subways are open and still running. But, NJ transit will be reopened tomorrow morning according to the website.

Yes, I went to work. :aw:

Glad you are ok!

Wow, guess your meeting is gonna have to be recolated to somewhere.

Well in hindsight it's 20/20. People did what they thought was best for their situation. (Minus the idiots who went outdoors during the height of the hurricane in their area and the idiot that went surfing)

I hope there are no more deaths due to the hurricane.

As for the missile being shot into the hurricane to stop it: REALLY?!

As for the many deaths attributed to the trees - no there won't be a 'tree law' enacted as many cities are trying to go 'green' and prefer to preserve older trees that are still healthy. You can't just go around chopping down every tree you see because it *might* someday fall on someone.

Also, I was told that Hurricane Irene is being given more media coverage that Hurricane Katrina... :hmm:

Irene - Cat 1
Katrina - Cat 4/5

More hurricanes are coming .... behind Hurricane Jose. :|

He may have checked for a condo....If so usually the insurance only covers contents and from the studs in.....then the HOA has a seperate policy for the structure. :dunno:
True. The common areas might be covered by the association's insurance, which is paid by members' dues.

We will be on the road to head back down there in about 15 minutes.

Latest worry: the flooding has brought in a lot of snakes!! Aaagghhh!!

But not to worry, most of them aren't venomous. How reassuring is that, eh?:shock:

But not to worry, most of them aren't venomous. How reassuring is that, eh?:shock:
Be careful.

Aren't you on an island? Have a safe trip.

Aren't you on an island? Have a safe trip.

The whole Outer Banks is a thin strip of islands. Our island is less "island-like" than the southern OBX beaches, as we are connected to the mainland at the top by the Wright Memorial Bridge, and at the bottom (more or less) by the bridge to Manteo (which is on Roanoke Island), and then Roanoke Island on the other side has another bridge connecting to the mainland.

South of that is Hatteras. The road to Hatteras has been breached in 5 places by Hurricane Irene; there are better than 2,000 people stranded there.

South of Hatteras is Ocrocoke Island, which is really, truly an island - the only way on or off is by ferry. Those folks who stayed are pretty much stranded too (although one or two ferries with emergency supplies are running now, I read someplace).

There are snakes that live on the islands; we have some good pictures of a black snake we found sunning himself near our pool one day.

Most NC snakes aren't venomous, but there are two or three species that are. I'm checking out the appropriate pictures.

...Most NC snakes aren't venomous, but there are two or three species that are. I'm checking out the appropriate pictures.
You can tell by the shape of their pupils but who wants to get that close? :eek:

Back