Tropical storm Irene approaches

I've been thinking about AD'ers over the weekend and just saw all that destruction this morning on the news - may have seen you guys, Jiro and didn't know it!:lol:
but glad so far everybody and everything good or fairly ok for now!
:)

Lightning.

There was another one in Pain's Bay (a bit south-west of us) that started in April and went on for almost all summer. Once the fire gets into the peat, it travels underground for as long as it wants, pretty much. Peat goes around 6 to 8 feet deep, something like that, and it's just very, very difficult for the firefighters to figure out where the fire is going and where it's going to break through to the surface.

:shock: wow

well, I hope some resolution can come about those fires!
hope no one in their path!

Wow...all those trees. That was why we all slept in the basement last night even though it was a little flooded. Wasnt sure if my neighbor's trees were going to be able to hold on. Scary stuff.

My heartful condolesences go out to the families of those who were killed.

You should never go into the basement when it flooded! You could had gotten an electrical shock! My sister's husband wanted to go into their basement when it was flooded and she told not to and called the fire department. When the firemen got to my sister's house they said was a good thing her husband DID NOT go into the basement , the firemen said they have to be careful and they have protecting clothing. The heating furnace could made the water an electrical conductor!

All of that is very true. I'd be more nervous about sleeping in the basement, myself, what with the gas hot water heater and all the other electrical connections.

For Shel, though, "all's well that end's well," so I'm glad you stayed safe and came out of the basement unscathed.

You should never go into the basement when it flooded! You could had gotten an electrical shock! My sister's husband wanted to go into their basement when it was flooded and she told not to and called the fire department. When the firemen got to my sister's house they said was a good thing her husband DID NOT go into the basement , the firemen said they have to be careful and they have protecting clothing. The heating furnace could made the water an electrical conductor!

The water was isolated to a part of the basement away from the heater. Besides, the heater is not on the ground anyway. My hubby put up a wall of towels in that area so the water didnt spread out.

It was all good.

thank you.

Shel - what's the stat on your roof?

It depends on what kind of insurance. Many do not cover hurricane, water or wind damage unless you tacked it on your policy beforehand.

Yeah, I am saying claiming the damage occurred earlier due to rain would be fraud. I saw alot of it when I was in business.

It's true though....Insurance policies vary greatly....that was always a fun headache.

I'm glad that you made it thru the night OK. :hug:

Your power is still on . . . that's good news.

At least your roof damage didn't get worse. That's a relief.

He may have checked for a condo....If so usually the insurance only covers contents and from the studs in.....then the HOA has a seperate policy for the structure. :dunno:

Mom just called her brother in NJ. He and family were required to evacuate and they just returned home today. No damage to his property. Just a few twigs in the yard. He lives in Medford Lakes, NJ.

And to think that someone posted they did not give a F*** about the storm! I wonder what they think now! I did of heard of the latest , my TV was no working for awhile. That is is really sad 21 people dies from the storm. I just heard a woman of drowning when car was washed away by flood water.:(

Now, 23 deaths reported. :( People need to take mother nature serious. People were warned about Hurricane Irene ahead of time.

I was surprised that Vermont out of all states on the NE seemed to get the worst of it.

I saw a lot of flooding in VT. Even the govenor said worst flooding in a century. Yikes! Im glad Irene is over with b/c I am exhausted from watching all the storm media.

Wonder if the latest two deaths are the stupid 25 year olds in my state who decided to take a midnight stroll to a reservoir during the height of the storm.

Wow, just watched national news and now 34 deaths confirmed.
Yahoo confirmed 37 deaths. :(
5 million homes and business without electricity and 7 billion dollars worth of damage
Hurricane Irene was predicted a cat. 4 before hit eastern seaboard. Imagine it was a cat. 4 Yikes!

The creeks became raging rivers and it destroyed many bridges along the creeks, even the old covered bridges.

Back