Tropical storm Irene approaches

They should enact a law where any structure blown down in Florida should not be rebuilt again. Then one by one convert the lots to national park to save on costs in the long run.

They should enact a law where any structure blown down in Florida should not be rebuilt again. Then one by one convert the lots to national park to save on costs in the long run.
That's ridiculous. Many of the areas where houses were destroyed wouldn't be feasible for national parks. Besides, when you say "convert" you really mean steal private property thru eminent domain. In your plan, to where would you relocate all the displaced residents? What kind of national park would anyone want to visit that is piles of housing debris on abandoned streets? Give me a break.

That's ridiculous. Many of the areas where houses were destroyed wouldn't be feasible for national parks. Besides, when you say "convert" you really mean steal private property thru eminent domain. In your plan, to where would you relocate all the displaced residents? What kind of national park would anyone want to visit that is piles of housing debris on abandoned streets? Give me a break.

It's for the safety of humanity. Why build in a place where there is a chance of danger every year?

Out here we have it down pat. One flood showed us that we needed to do some stuff. Guess what the government did? Declared the areas flood plain zone and plowed down the houses. Now they're a nice piece of land where we can play ball on. There has been floods in that certain area, and guess what, everyone was around to enjoy the water passing by. Nobody was worried about their homes rolling down the 1 day river.

Some schools here started last week. The rest start tomorrow. I know what you mean about them closing early, just in case.

Exactly! That's what Hugo did. We huddled in our hallway and felt the interior walls heave while large thumps hit the roof. Total darkness outside.

Amen.

Your name came to my mind as soon as I saw the tracking. :hug:

Also, keep in mind Kristina. She says she lives inland, but, I'd still be worried. She's near West Palm Beach. Babyblue lives near Punta Gorda (on the west coast).

Eck! So many of us to be concerned about! :hug:

Oh brother. What he proposes would never work. Down here, though, they are forcing people who live in trailers to go up on stilts. That is, if the trailer is distroyed, they replace it with a stilt house. Great if you're able boded; not so great for someone like myself who is wheelchair bound.

Such a controversial issue....

It's for the safety of humanity. Why build in a place where there is a chance of danger every year?
Because that would leave very little land in the USA for housing. Earthquake zones, tornado alley, hurricane paths, wildfires, flood zones, etc. There is hardly any area that can be guaranteed to be untouched by a natural disaster.

Land that is obviously unstable for building is one thing. Land that might be in a potential danger zone some day is something else.

Out here we have it down pat. One flood showed us that we needed to do some stuff. Guess what the government did? Declared the areas flood plain zone and plowed down the houses.
Did they reimburse the homeowners?

Now they're a nice piece of land where we can play ball on.
One ball field is hardly the same as multiple county-wide tracts of land.

There has been floods in that certain area, and guess what, everyone was around to enjoy the water passing by. Nobody was worried about their homes rolling down the 1 day river.
There are some places in the USA where major flooding happened for the very first time, or tornadoes hit for the very first time, or earthquakes hit for the very first time. You can never be sure that a natural disaster won't strike your property.

Hurricane Hugo destroyed areas over 100 miles inland. No one expected that. It damaged the places to which people had evacuated for safety.

Reba, are you a bit inland or are you on the coast?

We are keeping an eye on the forecast but not making plans to leave, so far.

wait a min... you live in Virginia, don't you?

if they built massive forest, it would soften the blow for those living in inland

if government wants to proceed ahead with this, they can offer compensation for residents. That's FEMA's job.

Because that would leave very little land in the USA for housing. Earthquake zones, tornado alley, hurricane paths, wildfires, flood zones, etc. There is hardly any area that can be guaranteed to be untouched by a natural disaster.

Land that is obviously unstable for building is one thing. Land that might be in a potential danger zone some day is something else.

Did they reimburse the homeowners?

One ball field is hardly the same as multiple county-wide tracts of land.

There are some places in the USA where major flooding happened for the very first time, or tornadoes hit for the very first time, or earthquakes hit for the very first time. You can never be sure that a natural disaster won't strike your property.

Hurricane Hugo destroyed areas over 100 miles inland. No one expected that. It damaged the places to which people had evacuated for safety.

This was right down middle of a large area. If you wanted to measure it in ball fields.. There wouldnt be enough people to play on these ball fields.

Little land in the USA for housing? Last I checked the US has a lot less (10x) people per sqmile compared to China, Belgium, Netherlands, etc...

if they built massive forest, it would soften the blow for those living in inland

if government wants to proceed ahead with this, they can offer compensation for residents. That's FEMA's job.

Good luck building forests on coral reef.

How do you "build" a massive forest on land that isn't suited for it?

BTW, it might interest you to know that the 100-mile stretch of land from Charleston to Columbia that was Hugo's path, was heavy, mature forest land, including the Francis Marion National Forest. It was practically leveled by the storm.

I think you should look into that further. :)

This was right down middle of a large area. If you wanted to measure it in ball fields.. There wouldnt be enough people to play on these ball fields.

Little land in the USA for housing? Last I checked the US has a lot less (10x) people per sqmile compared to China, Belgium, Netherlands, etc...
But you were talking about not allowing them to build on any land that might not be safe. That's most of the country. We'd all have to squeeze onto your safe neighborhood plot. ;)

But you were talking about not allowing them to build on any land that might not be safe. That's most of the country. We'd all have to squeeze onto your safe neighborhood plot. ;)

Do I need to be more exact.... Here it is: Hurricanes plow down florida year in and out. Unsafe.

Letting people live under water table in New Orleans - Not smart at all (See what happened?? Many did not return to their plot of land.)

Around here? Hail every like 8 years.. same for blizzards... That's acceptable risk compared to a set of hurricanes every year.

Nado Alley? Debatable.

Lets have everyone live in Memphis. I hear it's cheap to buy houses there.

How do you "build" a massive forest on land that isn't suited for it?

BTW, it might interest you to know that the 100-mile stretch of land from Charleston to Columbia that was Hugo's path, was heavy, mature forest land, including the Francis Marion National Forest. It was practically leveled by the storm.

I think you should look into that further. :)

:hmm:

I guess I better check on it when I can!

Do I need to be more exact.... Here it is: Hurricanes plow down florida year in and out. Unsafe.
Not the whole state, and not the same parts of the state. It's not feasible to turn the whole state of Florida into a national park.

Letting people live under water table in New Orleans - Not smart at all (See what happened?? Many did not return to their plot of land.)
That's up to them. That's not the same as the Feds taking their property and making a park out of it.

Around here? Hail every like 8 years.. same for blizzards... That's acceptable risk compared to a set of hurricanes every year.
Hurricanes can hit anywhere on the entire coast of the USA, and for many miles inland. We can't turn all of Puerto Rico and Florida, half of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and portions of the Eastern seaboard into one big park.

You're also forgetting that important commercial ports and fisheries are in those zones. You can't turn those and their supporting infrastructures into parks either.

Nado Alley? Debatable.
I think we've learned in recent years that the so-called alley is not so narrow an area.

Not the whole state, and not the same parts of the state. It's not feasible to turn the whole state of Florida into a national park.

That's up to them. That's not the same as the Feds taking their property and making a park out of it.

Hurricanes can hit anywhere on the entire coast of the USA, and for many miles inland. We can't turn all of Puerto Rico and Florida, half of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and portions of the Eastern seaboard into one big park.

You're also forgetting that important commercial ports and fisheries are in those zones. You can't turn those and their supporting infrastructures into parks either.

I think we've learned in recent years that the so-called alley is not so narrow an area.

Mississippi, Bama, LA, TX neednt worry. They don't get plowed every year.

Florida for sure. Would be nice to turn Puerto Rico into an island housing labs to bring back extinct animals using DNA.

Now, its not narrow an area? Great, less danger in one specific area. We can move all these folks there. Not too bad. And on the plus side, they have more land to be on, instead of being in a highrise on the oceanfront.

Speaking of the Orleans area... the government should have NEVER let the people live in that area to begin with.

We could make exceptions for ports, just like the big pipeline and drilling projects in Alaska. At least they dont put millions of lives at stake.

If Irene makes landfall as a hurricane on the US, it will be the first landfall hurricane on US in three years. That's surprising.

Back