Tropical storm Irene approaches

. No worse than when you're expecting 2 inches of snow. :giggle:

I never did the mad rush to the stores whenever a snowstorm has hit us. We got lucky..always go about 4 days before the predicted date. No problems. Hurricane...I have a feeling, it will be a different story.

Ohhhhhh, burnnnnn....:lol:

We live about an hour from each other so I know what the stores are like in the winter. I wasn't implying Shel runs to the store but how a lot of people do. And don't you know I'm usually low on milk when that happens and I need to go to the store.

We live about an hour from each other so I know what the stores are like in the winter. I wasn't implying Shel runs to the store but how a lot of people do. And don't you know I'm usually low on milk when that happens and I need to go to the store.

During one of 2010's blizzards, I went to the store the day after the storm hit. I had to walk there since the roads were covered with 2 feet of snow. Got all the basics. No lines! :lol:

During one of 2010's blizzards, I went to the store the day after the storm hit. I had to walk there since the roads were covered with 2 feet of snow. Got all the basics. No lines! :lol:

Please don't take this storm lightly.

Wow......the ones who stay, where do they go? Underground?

There is no such thing as "underground" on an island!

No, these houses, many of them, have stood the test of time for generations, and many, many hurricanes. Some residents get a bit complacent about storms, just stock up on supplies and hunker down. Some of the older folks on Ocracoke have been through more hurricanes than they can count.

My house is fairly new (built in 2005) and was built to withstand up to a Category 4 storm. It is very sturdy, built with 2 x 6 framing instead of the usual 2 x 4, has hurricane-resistant windows, etc.

We happened to be here on vacation (not in my current house) back when Hurricane Floyd hit, in 1999, and we just stayed put through the storm. No problems. That tracked a bit off-shore, so there were high waves and a lot of rain and strong winds, but there wasn't much in the way of property damage. None at all to the house where we were.

There is no such thing as "underground" on an island!

No, these houses, many of them, have stood the test of time for generations, and many, many hurricanes. Some residents get a bit complacent about storms, just stock up on supplies and hunker down. Some of the older folks on Ocracoke have been through more hurricanes than they can count.

My house is fairly new (built in 2005) and was built to withstand up to a Category 4 storm. It is very sturdy, built with 2 x 6 framing instead of the usual 2 x 4, has hurricane-resistant windows, etc.

We happened to be here on vacation (not in my current house) back when Hurricane Floyd hit, in 1999, and we just stayed put through the storm. No problems. That tracked a bit off-shore, so there were high waves and a lot of rain and strong winds, but there wasn't much in the way of property damage. None at all to the house where we were.

That happens quite a bit down here; except people shouldn't do that. Our housing structures are NOT built to withstand direct impact from a Cat 3 hurricane. People take their chances, though. One day, it's going to bite us all in the behind! We've not ... Never mind. I'm NOT saying it! :laugh2:

*I started to say we've not had a direct hit from a hurricane since 2005, but now that I typed it, we'll get nailed! :lol:

We're not - what? Immortal? Fool-proof?

Yeah, I'm know. We're taking it seriously, but not panicking yet.

I'm not sure where we would evacuate to. Ordinarily we would just go back to Alexandria, but if Baltimore is directly in the line of fire, we probably would be too. So that would be a frying pan into the fire situation.

Maybe we'd just drive up to Williamsburg or somewhere close like that to stay for a couple days.

Just called my sisters in Wilmington, N.C....but got no answer from both of them...Dunno if they plan to evacate or not. They are "veterans" of hurricanes....as the east coast always gets hit by them....gonna try to reach them again tomorrow....
I'm also gassing up and getting bottles of water and some more can goods in case of a power outage....told the boys to bring out the board games and I'll also get some crossword puzzles and of course, more candles.

Just called my sisters in Wilmington, N.C....but got no answer from both of them...Dunno if they plan to evacate or not. They are "veterans" of hurricanes....as the east coast always gets hit by them....gonna try to reach them again tomorrow....
I'm also gassing up and getting bottles of water and some more can goods in case of a power outage....told the boys to bring out the board games and I'll also get some crossword puzzles and of course, more candles.

I would think that lights that you charge by cranking or by solar (solar after the storm but power out) would be safer than candles. I was satisfied with that when we had power out for several days this spring in So. Illinois following a wind storm.

That's a good point.

We have that type of radio (crank 'er up) but not that sort of lights. Maybe we should run to Ace Hardware tomorrow...

Hurricane Irene.

Did I read wrong? I thought you were talking about the hurricane. I need to pay more attention, I guess. :roll:

Then I mentioned the blizzard and how I went to the store the day after it hit and then you said pls take this storm seriously so I wasnt sure if you were referring to the blizzard or the hurricane.

Of course, i take them seriously. That's why I am monitoring it carefully and will prepare once the projected path is definite to hit us.

That's a good point.

We have that type of radio (crank 'er up) but not that sort of lights. Maybe we should run to Ace Hardware tomorrow...

Mine happens to be a combination unit but my hearing is not good enough to get any benefit from the radio. I do have a little 7" TV that works on batteries that are rechargeable (AC or auto type DC). So wouldn't you know it I had antenna damage and also discovered just how badly I need the amp for reception 80 miles east of St. Louis!

Isn't that always the way!

My husband is hearing so the radio is mostly for his benefit. I can make out a little of it, sometimes, although not well enough to rely on.

Isn't that always the way!

My husband is hearing so the radio is mostly for his benefit. I can make out a little of it, sometimes, although not well enough to rely on.

Same with my hubby and I cant understand ONE thing coming from the radio.

It sounds like this "WACI...chooo eeeehaaa oraaaaa bueyea buyea ettaa taaaaa"

That's the language I am getting from the radio. lol

Candles aren't recommended. Too much danger of fire, and no fire fighters available to put it out. Battery lights are safer.

After Hugo, all the local radio and TV stations were off the air because they had been destroyed. We listened to radio stations in Florida that relayed news to and from people in South Carolina.

Our land line phones continued to work. I don't know what people with cell phones only will do if the towers go out. Even with Virginia earthquake today, they said the cell phone service was overloaded and calls couldn't get thru. :dunno:

Like people on the Outer Banks, we don't have any "underground." There are no basements in the Lowcountry. Our water table is too high.

In our area, electric power was out from two weeks to two months. We had no water or sewer service for several days. Even when the water flowed again, it wasn't safe to drink right away. For weeks after, the water smelled and tasted funny because so many pine trees had fallen into the lake reservoir. Like Pine-Sol cleaner.

Traffic was weird after the storm because almost every traffic light was lying on the ground in the intersections. Everyone drove very courteously and cautiously, taking turns crossing. Street and store signs were all gone, so it was very disorienting. It was hard to recognize some locations or find addresses. Of course, lots of roads were blocked by fallen trees.

For hearing people, it was a strange sensation to hear no birds for several days, and to constantly hear the sound of chain saws cutting or power generators humming.

Back