The most dangerous job you ever took?

Dangerous jobs I guess would be when I was in the Navy:

2 a.m. near collision with another destroyer in the middle of the Atlantic.

Ship fire while in drydock. Welder started it below deck. My team had to fight it. btw: A wooden minesweeper.

Two weeks at the Nevada Test Site. Nuclear weapons accident exercise. Real radiation nearby.

Working at a submarine torpedo facility. The fuel was highly toxic and when old torpedos were returned and opened, cyanide gas was released.

Off loading hundreds of ammo shells (they were about 2 ft long). Location was Earle, NJ where there is a 5 mile long pier because of a previous explosion many years before which vaporized the ship and damaged homes in the town.

And many more..... :Ohno:

I almost forgot:

Training off Kings Bay, GA. I was driving the EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) Boston Whaler back into port loaded with divers. Two of them were SEALs. I crested a large slow wave going about 50 mph and went airborne. I came off the seat holding on to the steering wheel. The divers eyes were wide as saucers. We landed hard plowing water. My boss said later that he had never seen a SEAL scared before! :laugh2:

Dangerous jobs I guess would be when I was in the Navy:

2 a.m. near collision with another destroyer in the middle of the Atlantic.

Ship fire while in drydock. Welder started it below deck. My team had to fight it. btw: A wooden minesweeper.

Two weeks at the Nevada Test Site. Nuclear weapons accident exercise. Real radiation nearby.

Working at a submarine torpedo facility. The fuel was highly toxic and when old torpedos were returned and opened, cyanide gas was released.

Off loading hundreds of ammo shells (they were about 2 ft long). Location was Earle, NJ where there is a 5 mile long pier because of a previous explosion many years before which vaporized the ship and damaged homes in the town.

And many more..... :Ohno:

Was this when you had some hearing loss?

USS Avenger (MCM-1) off Key West. Charge detonated to see how much damage would be done. This was the second one in two days. The crew was aboard during these tests:

Attachments

• avenger1.jpg
    avenger1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 8

I'm not sure which item you are referring to, but I had some loss while observing the firing of the destroyer's three main gun turrets. I spent about 3 hours out on the upper decks with headphones on making reports of where the shells landed.

I could feel the heat and concussion from the shells exiting the barrels. At least it was training and not the enemy!

Or, maybe some of my hearing loss comes from Reba yelling at me. :lol:

I'm not sure which item you are referring to, but I had some loss while observing the firing of the destroyer's three main gun turrets. I spent about 3 hours out on the upper decks with headphones on making reports of where the shells landed.

I could feel the heat and concussion from the shells exiting the barrels. At least it was training and not the enemy!

I'm asking if you have any hearing loss. :ty:

I'm asking if you have any hearing loss. :ty:

I have been tested. I now have a hard time hearing with any background noise. In the past, depending on what I was doing, I would hear ringing sounds.

Sorry for the duplicate posts. The computer is working very slow tonight.

I was a park ranger for the summer a few years ago. It was a GIS mapping project of this 1200 acre park but on a few occasions, we had to deal with animal request while patrolling the campground.

I am petrified of rattlesnakes and I was unable to assist removing the rattle snakes. I worked with my partner on multiple bee hives and that was terrible. Not much danger, mostly fear...

Which kind of bear dog did you have? The Karelian or Tahltan? Did you really use that dog to protect you from bears mauling you?

It's just a name signifying the role of the dog like "cougar dog," "cowdog," or "coyote dog." It's a breed, I would capitalize the first letters. To answer your perked curiosity: Shiba Inu.

And no, never any close encounters. He just run after them, then they run to the nearest tree.

Repoing cars. :) Not doing it anymore. My next dangerous job will be working in Pharmacy.

Maybe I did not understand late last night. I currently do not need hearing aids.

Mild hearing loss?

Regardless, I think you rank up having the most dangerous jobs around by constantly being in dangerous positions. :shock:

I had perform the dangerous job at walmart is used forklift to got one taller and heavier pallet down to floor, it was hard to do it and unload the tall pallet with full of glassed jars of pickles so when I pulled in wrong way so it went slide and crush on floor.

I had perform the dangerous job at walmart is used forklift to got one taller and heavier pallet down to floor, it was hard to do it and unload the tall pallet with full of glassed jars of pickles so when I pulled in wrong way so it went slide and crush on floor.

in forklift tests to see if you can do it?

It wasn't from forklift test but my manager ordered me to do it so no choice to avoid it.

You don't have forklift license? I think it is illegal to order someone to do the job without experience with a forklift.

You don't have forklift license? I think it is illegal to order someone to do the job without experience with a forklift.

I don't have one either and walmart doesn't care about work safety so managers don't give a damn about OSHA so they expect you to work off your ass as they can.

Oh really, I don't know if it was illegal.

Back