The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They all receive training on hearing aid care and maintenance and a year supply of hearing aid batteries. The prohibitive cost is the hearing aid itself while batteries are easier to come by in obtaining them.

Here's Justin Osmond's Peru mission (does that last name sound familiar? It should be...), he has a hearing loss, too:

Jusin Osmond visits - PERU!

Oh, yeah...people in 3rd world countries all have disposable cash laying around, and a convenient store close by so they can run out and get batteries as needed.:roll:

Again...no need to go to another country if you want to assist people with the cost of hearing aids. Plenty in need right here in the good ole U.S.A.

Mod's edit: previous quote removed.

There are deserving people and for many of them receiving hearing aids is a gift and being able to hear sound is a godsend to many of them. It's a gift to them. I say they deserve to have such a beneficial gift. You see this as an unncecessary waste of hearing aids for underprivledged people. That's pretty whack. It almost evokes a picture of an old, cranky woman running around yanking hearing aids out of their ears screaming into their faces that they don't deserve them. Why do you want to deny these people the joy of sound? Sounds rather....selfish and mean.

The foundation includes recycled/refurbished used hearing aids, too. It's all part and parcel the idea that people with hearing loss do cherish the gift of hearing when given the opportunity.

I'm sure with these missions people will certainly cherish and remember that wonderful day when they finally got a chance to hear.

It's all about the gift of hearing. Cherish it. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mod note:

Once again, play nice or expect a PM from the moderators.

:ty:

Agreed. It perpetuates the the attitudes and beliefs that ultimately lead to discrimination and oppression. Not to mention which, it is a horrible message to give a child. It tells them that they are not valuable and capable without hearing, that they are "less than." More important to success and prosperity than hearing is a security in who you are and self esteem and confidence in your abilities...no matter your hearing status.

Did you watch the movie at mosinternational.com?

Mod's edit: previous quote removed.

There are deserving people and for many of them receiving hearing aids is a gift and being able to hear sound is a godsend to many of them. It's a gift to them. I say they deserve to have such a beneficial gift. You see this as an unncecessary waste of hearing aids for underprivledged people. That's pretty whack. It almost evokes a picture of an old, cranky woman running around yanking hearing aids out of their ears screaming into their faces that they don't deserve them. Why do you want to deny these people the joy of sound? Sounds rather....selfish and mean.

The foundation includes recycled/refurbished used hearing aids, too. It's all part and parcel the idea that people with hearing loss do cherish the gift of hearing when given the opportunity.

I'm sure with these missions people will certainly cherish and remember that wonderful day when they finally got a chance to hear.

It's all about the gift of hearing. Cherish it. :wave:

Nope, I don't see it as a waste of hearing aids for undepriviledged people. Those same hearing aids could be of use to the many numbers of underpriviledged people right here in the U.S.

And I see it for what it is....a marketing ploy. Traveling to a 3rd world country tugs on people's heart strings and is more likely to be in the media. The result is more favorable impressions of the Starkey company. More favorable impressions means more business. This is not altruism. It is a well designed marketing ploy, and you fell for it.:lol:

Re-defining D-E-A-F. Shel90 posted it once on the forum earlier. Good film.

Thanks,Souggy. Yes, I watched that video. I thought it was great. I believe my responses indicated such.

Nope, I don't see it as a waste of hearing aids for undepriviledged people. Those same hearing aids could be of use to the many numbers of underpriviledged people right here in the U.S.

They do.

Coachella Valley – The Classic Club, Palm Desert – Coachella Valley United States
February 21, 2009

Starkey Hearing Foundation in partnership with Advanced Hearing Systems of Rancho Mirage led a team of foundation staff, local volunteers, celebrities and sponsors to fit more than 100 children in need with new state-of-the-art digital hearing instruments. The day of hearing event in Coachella Valley was held at the Classic Club in Palm Desert.

Starkey Hearing Foundation and Advanced Hearing Systems in Rancho Mirage provided the hearing devices free-of-charge to these families, who otherwise could not afford the technology. “It is an extremely exciting and rewarding thing to be able to provide a child with the Gift of Hearing,” said Pat Manhart of Advanced Hearing Systems.

On Saturday, Hailey Burton regained something she lost when she was 3 years old — her ability to hear. Hailey suffers from progressive hearing loss, a genetic condition that worsens through time. She shares the condition with her mother Joy Burton as well as her brothers Cole, 6, and Logan, 14 months. They all received free hearing aids on Saturday from the Starkey Foundation. “This program is a great blessing for us,” said Burton. In the case of Hailey's family, her father, Tim Burton, was laid off from his job as a construction superintendent in November. “Even when the family had health insurance coverage, it would not pay for hearing devices for our family, said Joy. Hailey has used aids lent to her by the school district. This will be the first device she had since she was 3 years old. “It's very rewarding for us because we're improving the quality of their lives,” said Joe Manhart.
The Starkey Hearing Foundation

MLB All Star Mission – New York City United States
July 13, 2008

For 98 underpriveleged children from the New York Boys and Girls Club, July 13 was a special day at the All-Star Game Legends Hotel, InterContinental Barclay. Major League Baseball teamed up with Starkey Hearing Foundation to custom fit these children with free hearing aids valued at $6,000. each. The initial tests and ear impressions were conducted in May at the Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club of the Bronx.

With the support of MLB legends: Fred Lynn, Gaylord Perry, George Brett, Bob Feller, Rollie Fingers, Robin Roberts and Academy Award-winning actress, Marlee Matlin, the children received their final fittings and training on the care and maintenance of their new devices. In addition, each child participating in the hearing mission received a new pair of athletic shoes from Reebok.

Sponsor: Major League Baseball, InterContinental Barclay

Aren't the kids lucky to have MLB legends in support of this mission and help provide FREE hearing aids to underprivledged kids here in the UNITED STATES? I'm sure they are cherishing their new hearing aids right now. The gift that keeps on giving.

Please read and explore the website next time.

They do.

Coachella Valley – The Classic Club, Palm Desert – Coachella Valley United States
February 21, 2009

Aren't the kids lucky to have MLB legends in support of this mission and help provide FREE hearing aids to underprivledged kids here in the UNITED STATES? I'm sure they are cherishing their new hearing aids right now. The gift that keeps on giving.

Please read and explore the website next time.

You mean the celebs that are getting paid by Starkey to give their endorsement? Get real, kokonut. Marketing is marketing. No matter how you try to spin it. There is no altruism involved in this endeavor.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to advise anyone to read anything, given that you have continiually attempted to tell others what a document says when you have admitted to not even reading said document? Perhaps you are satisfied cutting and posting another's opinion, but most of us prefer to go to the source for our information. It is the thinking person's way of doing things.

BTW...why do you think they placed a inflated value of $6,000 on each hearing aid? So they can claim a tax break in the amount of $588,000 as a charitable contribution. And look at all the press they received. Same old, same old...play the press to increase favorable perceptions from people=increased business=more profit. And, evidently, you are one of the naive that falls for it.

You mean the celebs that are getting paid by Starkey to give their endorsement? Get real, kokonut. Marketing is marketing. No matter how you try to spin it. There is no altruism involved in this endeavor.

Isn't it a bit hypocritical of you to advise anyone to read anything, given that you have continiually attempted to tell others what a document says when you have admitted to not even reading said document? Perhaps you are satisfied cutting and posting another's opinion, but most of us prefer to go to the source for our information. It is the thinking person's way of doing things.

BTW...why do you think they placed a inflated value of $6,000 on each hearing aid? So they can claim a tax break in the amount of $588,000 as a charitable contribution. And look at all the press they received. Same old, same old...play the press to increase favorable perceptions from people=increased business=more profit. And, evidently, you are one of the naive that falls for it.

Keep in mind that a lot of "free" hearing aids are used, not brand new. So they aren't really worth $6,000 to start with. A lot of people who get new hearing aids donate their old ones.

Not that anything is wrong with it, but I'm just saying that's more than likely these hearing aids were already paid for and worn before they were given away for "free".

It wasn't I who complained thinking that underprivledged people in the U.S. weren't getting free hearing aids from Starkey Hearing Foundation. I just showed you two examples how that is not the case. All one has to do is read it.

Whether it's marketing or not, it doesn't matter, the bottom line is that these people from all walks of life are getting their free hearing aids. To them, it's a gift. A blessing. An answer to their prayers. They understand and value the gift of hearing. We don't need a Grinch who thinks hearing aids are not for underpriviledged kids and adults, especially when over 340,000 free hearing aids were dispensed so far to date.

The foundation sponsors between 100 and 150 events a year, says Rondeau, who constantly travels the globe on many of these trips. The foundation is deluged with 500 to 800 requests a year for a team to visit. To determine if a request will lead to an event, the foundation leaders devised a five-point test:

Professional talent and services: What is already available in the country or what sort of talent exists that can be developed so there are people capable of providing follow-up care, reproducing the services of the mission, and pushing a hearing care program forward?

Infrastructure: Are there facilities already there to assist hearing-impaired persons?

Equipment: Can the team do testing with equipment that’s already there?

Repair and follow-up: Is there local capability to repair hearing aids and provide follow-up once the foundationteam leaves?

Reinsertion into the schools: Are there rehabilitation or social services available to get children with new hearing aids integrated back into the school system?

Each of these elements must be in place to some degree before Rondeau and his colleagues will give a green light to a mission. Some obstacles are easier to overcome than others. For example, the team can bring testing equipment if there isn’t any available locally, but it’s more challenging if there aren’t any professionals or bricks and mortar facilities in the area, says Rondeau.

“Our goal is to empower local people to reproduce our knowledge and spread it in their own country so a nation can build on the momentum of what we’re doing,” says Rondeau passionately. He adds that the foundation will maintain contact and continue working with local representatives once the initial team has left, often for as long as 3 to 5 years.

On the domestic front, the Starkey Foundation gives away thousands of hearing aids each year and enlists the pro bono services of about 3500 hearing care professionals in the U.S. to donate their services in fitting them. Last year, says Rondeau, 7900 children and adults in the U.S. received free hearing aids through the foundation’s Hear Now program. Federal poverty guidelines are used to determine qualification. Rondeau emphasized, “Hearing professionals don’t have to sell Starkey products to participate. This is really about helping kids.”

Like all the other volunteers, the Smiths worked hard on those trips,and for no money. But, he says, the rewards are well worth it. He explains, “You take a 12-year-old kid and a half hour after fitting him with a hearing aid, he says ‘papa’ for the first time ever. If that doesn’t melt you a bit, you’re made of stone.

Sounds like these people certainly do cherish what hearing they have left.

http://www.starkeypro.com/public/pdfs/articles/hj2006_09_pg50-53.pdf

Well, I am very happy to bein' deaf. I've never experienced bein' hearin' in my entire life, so I don't know IF, I cherish it. :)

I will treasure it once I am in Heaven that's made in perfect. ;)

It wasn't I who complained thinking that underprivledged people in the U.S. weren't getting free hearing aids from Starkey Hearing Foundation. I just showed you two examples how that is not the case. All one has to do is read it.

Whether it's marketing or not, it doesn't matter, the bottom line is that these people from all walks of life are getting their free hearing aids. To them, it's a gift. A blessing. An answer to their prayers. They understand and value the gift of hearing. We don't need a Grinch who thinks hearing aids are not for underpriviledged kids and adults, especially when over 340,000 free hearing aids were dispensed so far to date.

Oh, yeah. 98 people are the only needy hearing aid users in the U.S.:roll:

They aren't people from all walks of life. They are people that can meet both the financial criteria, and afford to pay a non-refundable deposit of 1-200 dollars. One cancels out the other.

Dispensed in other countries, where the chance of the user achieving long term use or great success with the hearing aid is slim to none.

And, yes, it does matter that it is marketing, because the fact that it is marketing is indicative of slanted reporting of the mission.

Actually, the number is higher on the number of underprivileged kids (and adults) who have gotten their free hearing aids through charity missions. The Starkey Hearing Foundation is one of several out there. The "98" number for SHF on those who received free hearing aids in the United States is, in fact, too low.

Sound Beginnings

"in place to some degree." Quite vague and essentially a non-answer.

"Don't have to sell Starkey products to participate." But you can bet your last dollar that preference is given to those who do. And they are still fitting Starkey products, whether they sold them or not.

Some are so gullible.:roll:

I don't play the Grinch role, here. I see positive benefits. Others would rather stand in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back