The gift of hearing....do you cherish it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I agree with their motto and support their cause. They are doing things that are beneficial and positive at the same time.

Jillio, thanks. Your posts in the late deaf forum have helped me and others tremendously. Your kind words and works are greatly appreciated.

Jillio, thanks. Your posts in the late deaf forum have helped me and others tremendously. Your kind words and works are greatly appreciated.

Why, thank you, LDnana. I'm glad I could be helpful.

Well, I agree with their motto and support their cause. They are doing things that are beneficial and positive at the same time.

So you believe that deaf people cant prosper without being able to hear?

Note my correction already. I believe they already know that. It's like this group of people who set out to provide free glasses containing optic fluid for people in many countries who cannot afford glasses nor get the right presciption. In the UK it's one eye doctor for every 10,000 while in Africa it's like one eye doctor for every 1 million people.
Centre for Vision in the Developing World

They know that putting on glasses doesn't cure their vision but it's the next best thing.
Just alike they put ha on me when I can not hear one sound out of it and make sense out of it. Need years of relearning how to listen to certain sounds. It will not work on some children so it kind of slap my face when u said gift of hearing to those kids who are just like me. That is how I feel.

Don't forgot to provide them years of supply, battries.

So you believe that deaf people cant prosper without being able to hear?

Success is defined in a variety of ways. Here, it's about providing access to sound to those who could not afford them, live in remote areas, do not have audiologists in their area, or those who live in 3rd world countries. Maybe you can ask Marlee Matlin who is a big, big proponent, supporter and advocate of "So the World May Hear" mission for several years now.. She even owns Starkey hearing aids.

That's wonderful kokonut. It's great to bring hearing to deaf people who want to hear. But the motto crosses a line when they imply that you can only prosper if you can hear. :nono:

That's wonderful kokonut. It's great to bring hearing to deaf people who want to hear. But the motto crosses a line when they imply that you can only prosper if you can hear. :nono:

As I said before, success comes in a variety of ways. I have prospered and succeeded because of my hearing aid. Others have prospered and succeeded without hearing aids or even cochlear implants. The main thrust is that people who never had any access to sound are given the opportunity to hear for the first time.

As I said before, success comes in a variety of ways. I have prospered and succeeded because of my hearing aid. Others have prospered and succeeded without hearing aids or even cochlear implants. The main thrust is that people who never had any access to sound are given the opportunity to hear for the first time.

Hard of Hearing Concerns

This is for HOH people. You can join a message board there and I am sure people will be thrilled to hear about how great your hearing is.

Hard of Hearing Concerns

This is for HOH people. You can join a message board there and I am sure people will be thrilled to hear about how great your hearing is.

Not that one, but in a different forum that's similar. Besides, this is AD which includes Deaf, deaf, hoh, cochlear implant users, hearing aid users, ASL users, PSE users, voice, oral/aural, and so on. Doncha love diversity! :wave:

A new level of lack of empathy.:ugh3:

Not that one, but in a different forum that's similar. Besides, this is AD which includes Deaf, deaf, hoh, cochlear implant users, hearing aid users, ASL users, PSE users, voice, oral/aural, and so on. Doncha love diversity! :wave:

Well AD is certainly more diverse than Deaf Freedom.

This is kinda along the same line as buying a million condoms for a country... when they don't even know how to use it.

Same thing here.... buying a million hearing aids... for a country that can't afford repairing or even batteries.

*whistles*

this is kinda along the same line as buying a million condoms for a country... When they don't even know how to use it.

Same thing here.... Buying a million hearing aids... For a country that can't afford repairing or even batteries.

lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. It perpetuates the the attitudes and beliefs that ultimately lead to discrimination and oppression. Not to mention which, it is a horrible message to give a child. It tells them that they are not valuable and capable without hearing, that they are "less than." More important to success and prosperity than hearing is a security in who you are and self esteem and confidence in your abilities...no matter your hearing status.

This is kinda along the same line as buying a million condoms for a country... when they don't even know how to use it.

Same thing here.... buying a million hearing aids... for a country that can't afford repairing or even batteries.

*whistles*

Yeah, the logic behind the program fails me.:roll: But I guess the important thing is that these kids hear something, anything, for even a few days before the battery dies. After all, it is much, much superior to never hearing anything even for a short amount of time.:cool2:

More important to success and prosperity than hearing is a security in who you are and self esteem and confidence in your abilities...no matter your hearing status.

Unfortunately, most hearing people and a few deaf people can't seem to get past that.

*whistles*

They all receive training on hearing aid care and maintenance and a year supply of hearing aid batteries. The prohibitive cost is the hearing aid itself while batteries are easier to come by in obtaining them.

Here's Justin Osmond's Peru mission (does that last name sound familiar? It should be...), he has a hearing loss, too:

Jusin Osmond visits - PERU!

Unfortunately, most hearing people and a few deaf people can't seem to get past that.

Quite true. One of the reasons it is important for deaf children to have deaf mentors in their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back