Texting

MoonDrifter

Reaction score
I've had a few experiences where my siblings and peers have gotten upset with me because I text while I hang out with them.

Is it really a bad thing to text while you're with someone and where do you draw the line?

Just curious....

I text people even though I'm with people it doesnt seem to bother them. Maybe cos they know I'm a text addict hehe

If I have company, I tend to put the phone down. You are there to visit with the person that is in your presence. Not on the phone. Yes.. I consider it rude. I have to make my kids put the phone up when we have company.

What is the point of the visit if you are going to be texting constantly?

I dont text constantly but I do text sometimes because I know they dont mind

Are you texting the people that are in your company? That's just plain silly!

Seriously, if it's an important text I ask the people i'm with if they can wait a minute, otherwise I just wait till later on.

Edit: As a main form of communication sometimes it's important to text, but I believe the same sort of thing applies if you were phoneing someone if you had people round.

I don't text/IM when I am around people. When I get texts/IMs, I view and if they are urgent/emergency, I would tell my company politely that I need to respond to the texts/IMs and that I would be right back with them. When I am done, I apologize to them.

Don't get me started on with some people texting/IMing while they are on the phone/VPs. :ugh:

It depends:

if important message and/or my sender expects fast reply, I excuse myself and quickly txt back...

if less important message and I know it can wait till later, then I'll wait to txt back ;)

I'd feel offended if my friends would be busier txt messaging back and forth instead of talking to me...

I would feel offended if someone texted in my company. I feel that if I am in someone's company or they are in my company texting someone else is considered rude.

if it was an emergency, explain to the friend saying oh brb it serious or something like that then apologize when u get back. that what i would do lol.

im usually text all the times

when im out somewhere and i do text my mom and my grandma sometimes my dad and my brother dont text but my brother sometimes text me but my dad hardly read text and send messages.

IF im at work i would turn off and expect my mom always turn off also

I don't text/IM when I am around people. When I get texts/IMs, I view and if they are urgent/emergency, I would tell my company politely that I need to respond to the texts/IMs and that I would be right back with them. When I am done, I apologize to them.

Don't get me started on with some people texting/IMing while they are on the phone/VPs. :ugh:

Yeah, I'm the same way. When I'm around people or talking to one on the VP, I don't respond right way unless it is urgent or if it is on an emergency basis.

When I get a message, I would excuse myself to go in another room or elsewhere to reply but other than that, I'd just ignore it and wait until there is a right time to do so. It would be inconsiderate to do so front of the company/visitors because they came to make a visit with you. They didn't come to visit you to watch you talking on your mobile device.

Oh, I exactly know what you mean about having some people that are rude enough to talk on their mobile device while talking on the VP. I'm like - Hello? I didn't need to sit right here just to watch you talk on the mobile device.

I don't have a cell phone (yes, a teenager without a cell phone!) and the first time I texted was in July, I believe. :P I sent maybe 10 texts total and it was from my parents' phone to my friend whenever the weather was crappy (we were camping) or something.

I've never really known it to be a problem for people to text in company, probably because there is only one person I really know that texts constantly and I never really noticed her do it. I will not have a celly for a couple years yet, but when I get it I will probably be a texter (because I know me, and that is just the type of thing I do). Hopefully, I will try not to answer texts when in the presence of company because it does sound rude.

It depends. If I'm with older folk then I will put the phone down. People my age don't get bothered. I try not to text all the time, I don't wanna seem like I'm addicted but it is my main form of communication.

I will give you another perspective.

I had a hearing friend that was shopping for a gown for her wedding day.

One owner of a Bridal Shop was in the process of speaking to my friend about the many services she provided, my friend constantly would whip out that phone, flip it open and text in the middle of the conversation.

At that time I could see the annoyance on the owner's face from being ignored and interrrupted constantly with her texting.

I could even the imagine the annoying beeps and whistles the phone was making while she recieved and sent messages. :lol:

It's actually inconsiderate, and rude.

Unless it is an emergency, or very important then it would be okay to politely excuse yourself and take the call or text.

On another note, if you spend your time texting with company over, you will have missed out on the conversations around you.

From what I've heard so far, there's the consistency about it being rude while company is over. In that case, perhaps I could wait on the texting until I am alone?

That remind me....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVW4wtPXU9Y]YouTube - Watching Two Worlds Collide - Deaf Technology ruined Pizza[/ame]

Yeah, I'm the same way. When I'm around people or talking to one on the VP, I don't respond right way unless it is urgent or if it is on an emergency basis.

When I get a message, I would excuse myself to go in another room or elsewhere to reply but other than that, I'd just ignore it and wait until there is a right time to do so. It would be inconsiderate to do so front of the company/visitors because they came to make a visit with you. They didn't come to visit you to watch you talking on your mobile device.

Oh, I exactly know what you mean about having some people that are rude enough to talk on their mobile device while talking on the VP. I'm like - Hello? I didn't need to sit right here just to watch you talk on the mobile device.

I am with you too. I will look at it and knowing which is more important or not the most is my son. I will only talk and text to him cuz he come first and I need to know what he is doing or where he is at. Especially at work I would check it who texting or call me. If it not important then I dont answer it. So now I have started to put my cellphone in my locker cuz it is in the way while I am at work.

Yes it is rude for someone to use the cellphone. I just wish it wasnt that big deal having a cellphone.

When I am at someone's house, or have company, I do not respond to my text messages unless it is very important like it's my husband or a very important text. Since I am hearing impaired text messages or IM by phone is the way people communicate with me, work communicates with me. But if a text message is just for social purposes, it can wait until I am free. If I am with someone in person, that person is more important than just a text message. Now if I am visiting someone, and I am bored to death, I will leave the room to respond, and then return. It's just not cool to text in the middle of a conversation with someone else.

Yes, it is rude when I have a company over.

When I was at my parents' in FL, when they were sleeping while I was awake and I was using to text messaging with my friends, to keep me a company since there were no deaf people around there near my parents. (It's two or three hours away from my parents.. Too far, and plus, I can't leave my parents behind, in case, emergency...)

To me it's rude. There were many times when I am with my deaf friends, half of them were texting, and I find that quite rude. It's like hello? Am I invisible? :dunno:

I don't text when I have company over, or if I'm with somebody but sometimes I would check my in box messages to see if one of my boys are trying to get a hold of me, because it could be an emergency. ;)

Usually, My brother and I are left out at family gatherings...do I text to keep myself company and do I sit there with no idea what everyone is saying and pretend what everyone is saying. Isnt it rude of them to not make sure I know what everyone is saying?

Back