Students Fleeing Alabama Schools

Perhaps we should have them show papers before they enter school. People complain that schools are overcrowded and not enough money.

I am sorry that people have to struggle to show papers or what not. I have to show my ID to do stuff too. I get pulled over.. ID.. I registure for school ID, I apply for a job ID, etc.

Best for them to keep their papers on them like an ID. If they are legal then no problem.

That's besides the point - you may have to show your school ID but are not required to prove american citizenship everywhere you go. They would be harrassed to prove their citizenship if they looked "Mexican" whether they are legal or not.

Because they think that thanks to the new laws, they will always be under suspicion, legal or not. That would have quite an impact on their day to day lives if they are disorganized and don't keep up with their paperwork

FIFY.....

Besides it is the number of illegals that cause the problem. That is who the legals should blame....and many legals do.

If illegals are such a boon to our economy shouldn't people who reside outside of Alabama be celebrating? I mean, they will be getting more now.

That's besides the point - you may have to show your school ID but are not required to prove american citizenship everywhere you go. They would be harrassed to prove their citizenship if they looked "Mexican" whether they are legal or not.

Not school ID..

My Drivers License or state issued ID. I had to prove that I was born in the USA by showing my Birth Certificate. I had to drive an hour to go to the court house to get an old marrage license to prove why my last name differs from my Birth Certificate. I had to prove my residency. I had to present a social security card. To just RENEW my license last summer.

That is the ID I am talking about. :) I can not even cash my check with out it.

I get asked to show my ID often in different situation. So no different than people being asked to show theirs.

My brother is white.. He got arrested when he was 19 walking alongside the Hwy... with out his ID.

When he called my mom from jail. We did not believe him. Then we called the jailhouse. They said he did not have proof of identity. :shock: And was born in the United States.

FIFY.....

Besides it is the number of illegals that cause the problem. That is who the legals should blame....and many legals do.

Hmmmm....so if they don't keep their paperwork organized, they deserve to be under suspicion?

How would you feel if everywhere you go, people look at you like you are an illegal immigrant taking jobs away from them and always being asked for your citizenship papers? It's quite a different reality.

one of my closest friends, who is of Arabic descent, got called an illegal immigrant and was treated like one when she visited Texas. She got asked for papers, her white boyfriend was never harassed once. She said she's never visiting Texas again. Is she an illegal immigrant? Nope. Just a Canadian who looks Mexican.

If illegals are such a boon to our economy shouldn't people who reside outside of Alabama be celebrating? I mean, they will be getting more now.

Who says they aren't? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if universities are doing the opposite of what this one did.

My brother is white.. He got arrested when he was 19 walking alongside the Hwy... with out his ID.

When he called my mom from jail. We did not believe him. Then we called the jailhouse. They said he did not have proof of identity. :shock: And was born in the United States.

That^^^^^. Happened to my friend's gf too.

Sweet home albama, i'm running the heck away from yooou.

No, but seriously. Having no paper sucks, an there is a lot of stereotypes coming from illegal aliens. It stinks the ones who do "abuse" the system has to run it for everyone else.

If they are legal why would they be afraid to let their kids go to school??

Legal immigrants would not withdraw their children from school.

because maybe it's Getapso all over again? Ever considered that they may have came from countries where it's like Getapso?

Israel does it too.

My local school district said that if I enrolled my children for school as opposed to home school, then I would have to have all documentation including proof of citizenship and in the case of a child of divorced parents, would have to prove that I am with the custodial parent. I asked what documents for proof of citizenship and they said, "if you have to ask, then you don't have it and we can't accept your kids".

My kids were both born in Florida, both in West Palm Beach.

because maybe it's Getapso all over again? Ever considered that they may have came from countries where it's like Getapso?

Israel does it too.

That is over there... we are here.. In the United States.

I understand they may have some fear or what not. If they are legal and once they prove it then they should be fine. :) Perhaps then they will learn America is nothing like where they came from.

I understand they may have some fear or what not. If they are legal and once they prove it then they should be fine. :) Perhaps then they will learn America is nothing like where they came from.

no. I disagree. We should not be presenting our documentation in America especially in this case. This country serves as a beacon for liberty and freedom without discrimination and judgment.

naive perhaps but it's the basic foundation of this country. We shouldn't be suspected of illegal entry in this country whenever we get pulled over for speeding or going to a public place.

take it this way - I have a serious problem with police's mentality - "if you ain't got nothing to hide, then there shouldn't be any problem."

:h5:

I thought birth certificates for all children enrolling in schools had to be shown, like since forever? (Well, at least the past 100 years.) It wasn't just to show citizenship but to prove their age. Also, other documentation, such as shot records and residency have always been required. The residency proof was for public schools in order to determine to which school the child should be assigned.

I don't think it's ever been possible to send your kids to school without showing documentation first. Kids can't just walk in off the street and sit down in a classroom.

I just don't understand why we can't make the pathway to citizenship easier THEN crack down on illegal immigration?

My friend from Belize has lived here for 10+ years now and he has been desperate trying to get a job that would support his work visa (green card). After college, he got a job that supported his work visa. He worked there for a few years until one year, the government denied him, even though his brothers and sisters all got one. Getting a green card every year is literally a lottery. He had to resort to go back to college to continue his visa. Now after a 2nd graduation, he applied to many jobs, but the only place who would support his work visa was his original job.

If it's hard for someone who has a Master's in Mechanical Engineering with perfect English to MAINTAIN a green card, I can't even imagine how hard it would be for those who are not as educated. Btw, you need to have 5 years CONTINUOUSLY with a green card in order to be naturalized and sometimes that's not guaranteed, too.

Honestly, I think there is a huge potential for increasing the govt budget in illegal immigrants. Just tax them!!!

Also, living in Huntsville, I personally have seen the effects of this new immigration law. It is definitely scaring the employers and illegal immigrants, leaving new jobs open.

Great!!!!.... right?

Yea.. no one is taking over.....It seems glaringly obvious that people don't hire illegal immigrants INSTEAD of legals. Looks like they tend to hire them when they can't find anyone else.

It's definitely going to crumble down some businesses. People need to reorganize or set up their business to be able to pay employees up to threefold from before.

I'm actually all for this law, just to show results, whether it be bad or good, so that we can SHOW evidence that this works or doesn't work. I actually believe doing this would be FASTER then sitting around and arguing "noooo, we can't!" "yeeeesss, we should!" over what laws to implement.

I thought birth certificates for all children enrolling in schools had to be shown, like since forever? (Well, at least the past 100 years.) It wasn't just to show citizenship but to prove their age. Also, other documentation, such as shot records and residency have always been required. The residency proof was for public schools in order to determine to which school the child should be assigned.

I don't think it's ever been possible to send your kids to school without showing documentation first. Kids can't just walk in off the street and sit down in a classroom.

that's not the documentation I'm talking about. One shouldn't prove one's immigration status to ANYONE, ANYWHERE except federal officers (such as INS/ICE) at... border and airport.

I just don't understand why we can't make the pathway to citizenship easier THEN crack down on illegal immigration?

My friend from Belize has lived here for 10+ years now and he has been desperate trying to get a job that would support his work visa (green card). After college, he got a job that supported his work visa. He worked there for a few years until one year, the government denied him, even though his brothers and sisters all got one. Getting a green card every year is literally a lottery. He had to resort to go back to college to continue his visa. Now after a 2nd graduation, he applied to many jobs, but the only place who would support his work visa was his original job.

If it's hard for someone who has a Master's in Mechanical Engineering with perfect English to MAINTAIN a green card, I can't even imagine how hard it would be for those who are not as educated. Btw, you need to have 5 years CONTINUOUSLY with a green card in order to be naturalized and sometimes that's not guaranteed, too.

Honestly, I think there is a huge potential for increasing the govt budget in illegal immigrants. Just tax them!!!

Also, living in Huntsville, I personally have seen the effects of this new immigration law. It is definitely scaring the employers and illegal immigrants, leaving new jobs open.

Great!!!!.... right?

Yea.. no one is taking over.....It seems glaringly obvious that people don't hire illegal immigrants INSTEAD of legals. Looks like they tend to hire them when they can't find anyone else.

It's definitely going to crumble down some businesses. People need to reorganize or set up their business to be able to pay employees up to threefold from before.

I'm actually all for this law, just to show results, whether it be bad or good, so that we can SHOW evidence that this works or doesn't work. I actually believe doing this would be FASTER then sitting around and arguing "noooo, we can't!" "yeeeesss, we should!" over what laws to implement.

Belize??? Chance is my colleague's sister probably knows him!

Back