Students Fleeing Alabama Schools

It's great news for Alabama teachers and Alabama schools. Schools will have more money and the teachers will have a lighter work load. Pretty good news for legal students too, who will now get more personal attention.

If the families move it should help with unemployment too.

My mom is a teacher in a school attended primarily by illegal immigrant children and children of illegal immigrants. If what you said actually happened, then I would be the first to clap my hands, since my mom is overworked, underpayed, and could use a lot more support in all areas of her work . . .

But, um, I don't think this is actually how school funding works, dude. Schools report how many pupils attend and receive money based on that number, regardless of which ones are illegal or not. It aint a fixed rate.

Jiro, the word is Gestapo. Your word sounds like maybe a new breed of dog or......Korean food. :lol:

Being teacher in Alabama is obviously depressed and they are underpaid as well.

I have say fuck to Alabama!!!

Jiro, the word is Gestapo. Your word sounds like maybe a new breed of dog or......Korean food. :lol:

:ty:

ah! I was trying to figure out correct spelling and Google's suggestion wasn't much of a help :lol:

Teachers all over the U.S. are overworked and underpaid. It is not just Alabama.

I guess getting a job there is out of the question, then.

I guess getting a job there is out of the question, then.

Rookie teachers in Alabama makes about $30,000 per year, even much less if this state is cutting the budget.

Rookie teachers in Alabama makes about $30,000 per year, even much less if this state is cutting the budget.

Cost of living is lower in Alabama.

I used a cost of living comparison between Huntsville, AL and Washington DC. 30,000 in HSV, AL is the equivalence of 43,000 to DC.

That low to you, Shel?

Cost of living is lower in Alabama.

I used a cost of living comparison between Huntsville, AL and Washington DC. 30,000 in HSV, AL is the equivalence of 43,000 to DC.

That low to you, Shel?

Yup but not really exciting place to live.

The house price in DC area (inside of capital beltway) is similar to Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills but outside of capital beltway is cheaper, depending on area but not at same level as average in Alabama.

First arrest made. An illegal from Yemen....

Top Stories | TV 24

I am confused.

Can someone clear this up for me?

How is this different from before the passing of the immigration law? Looks like they were arrested for a drug raid THEN their papers were checked? I thought this was standard for any arrest, I mean after all, don't you need to find out WHO they are before you can submit in paperwork for their arrest?

I thought the new law now allows the police to ask for papers when one is SUSPECTED of illegal activity, but in this case, they asked AFTER being caught and arrested.

Prior to the new immigration law, when people were arrested, were their identification NOT asked for?

Prior to the immigration law:

When a cop stops you for whatever reason, you are asked to show your ID. If you are arrested, you definitely need to show some form of identification.

ID can come in the form of a Driver's license, passport, Social Security card, etc. However, if I am not mistaken, ALL of those IDs require some sort of a verification of US citizenship (or not, but the ID will show eligibility or ineligibility).

An ID CAN be fake and one could get away with it if a cop simply asks to show it. However, when you are arrested, there has to be more than simply taking an ID at face value. Maybe I'm wrong here.

I guess I'm just really curious on what exactly did cops do with identification during an arrest? Are there two sets of databases? One is showing the status of an individual? And the other showing any warrant for arrests, etc? Cops are not allowed to see the status of an individual? Or they simply ignore it because "it's not their job"? If I'm not mistaken, when one refuses to give his name or ID to the police, they get arrested. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding HOW cops did NOT know (or ignored?) the status of immigrants?

I think they arrest first and ask questions later. In this particular case, the guy from Yemen, he got busted during a drug raid.That's how they found out he was in the US illegally when he was asked for ID.

I think they arrest first and ask questions later. In this particular case, the guy from Yemen, he got busted during a drug raid.That's how they found out he was in the US illegally when he was asked for ID.

Right. Are you talking about what they do now? After the immigration law has passed?

I'm talking about BEFORE the law was passed, what they did before.

Everyone is talking about how this is the first arrest since the law has passed. I'm questioning whether it REALLY is because of the new law.

Right. Are you talking about what they do now? After the immigration law has passed?

I'm talking about BEFORE the law was passed, what they did before.

Everyone is talking about how this is the first arrest since the law has passed. I'm questioning whether it REALLY is because of the new law.

They have been deporting criminals for a long time. So this method is not so new.

Anytime a person gets arrested they have to ID them and get all the information they can about the person, in this case they found out he is illegal, and they probably will deport him.

Back