Students Fleeing Alabama Schools

TXgolfer

Dream Weaver
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reports of Hispanic Students Vanishing From Alabama Schools After Immigration Ruling

Published October 01, 2011
| Associated Press

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments -- from small towns to large urban districts -- reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents, some of whom told officials they planned to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm widespread worries.

"In the case of this law, our students do not have anything to fear," Casey Wardynski said in halting Spanish. He urged families to send students to class and explained that the state is only trying to compile statistics.

Police, he insisted, were not getting involved in schools.

Reports Of Hispanic Students Vanishing From Alabama Schools After Immigration Ruling | Fox News

I saw that. How very sad. What a mess that is going to be. I'm amazed that law held up under review.

I'm really not care about this state anymore.

I'm proud to live in DC.

My ex hubby's family are all posting stuff about being ashamed of Alabama on their FB statuses.

My ex hubby's family are all posting stuff about being ashamed of Alabama on their FB statuses.

It's great news for Alabama teachers and Alabama schools. Schools will have more money and the teachers will have a lighter work load. Pretty good news for legal students too, who will now get more personal attention.

If the families move it should help with unemployment too.

It's great news for Alabama teachers and Alabama schools. Schools will have more money and the teachers will have a lighter work load. Pretty good news for legal students too, who will now get more personal attention.

Don't schools get certain amount for each students? If so, if they are pulled out, money paid to school district would go down also?

Don't schools get certain amount for each students? If so, if they are pulled out, money paid to school district would go down also?

Not exactly, Some of the budget is divided per student and distributed. (at least in TX) But with fewer students the contribution per student increases. And that wouldn't happen until the following school year.

It will make hardly for Alabama to be diverse state and they don't have same level of economic as Texas does.

Texas doesn't have strict immigrant law as Alabama does and Texas has good economic boom, even during recession era.

It will make hardly for Alabama to be diverse state and they don't have same level of economic as Texas does.

Texas doesn't have strict immigrant law as Alabama does and Texas has good economic boom, even during recession era.

Maybe Alabama will have a boom now. If those families leave the state, jobs open up for the unemployed.

Of course this will probably make things worse for surrounding states. I guess they will need to get to work on their own bill, or not.....

ah... you must be happy now that there is less diversity

is there a strawman???

any comment or concern about immigrant students who left school out of fear? (FYI - immigrant means they're legal/documented residents)

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

FYI....many people, including some journalists use the word immigrant improperly. :)

FYI....many people, including some journalists use the word immigrant improperly. :)

journalists use "illegals" or "illegal immigrants"

and do you know for sure if they're illegals?

journalists use "illegals" or "illegal immigrants"

and do you know for sure if they're illegals?

If they are legal why would they be afraid to let their kids go to school??

Legal immigrants would not withdraw their children from school.

Because they know that thanks to the new laws, they will always be under suspicion, legal or not. That would have quite an impact on their day to day lives.

There are families that combination of legal and illegal immigrants so they will move away if state goes unfriendly with immigrants.

You won't know if they are legal or illegal.

Perhaps we should have them show papers before they enter school. People complain that schools are overcrowded and not enough money.

I am sorry that people have to struggle to show papers or what not. I have to show my ID to do stuff too. I get pulled over.. ID.. I registure for school ID, I apply for a job ID, etc.

Best for them to keep their papers on them like an ID. If they are legal then no problem.

Back