So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say refuse, I say prefer. Like the second "Sound and Fury", the kids are all implanted and mainstreamed and use spoken language, even though both their parents are culturally Deaf, ASL users.

I felt bad about the father, they were speaking over dinner table and I'm sure he experienced dinner table syndrome (whatever the name). That's why I think it is just messed up.

and late deafened, and one not exactly happy...

I tried to pick people who had a hearing loss from near birth. Some are progressive, but they had a loss from the start. Also, I don't believe the people who I named grew up with ASL...

I felt bad about the father, they were speaking over dinner table and I'm sure he experienced dinner table syndrome (whatever the name). That's why I think it is just messed up.

Or maybe he is happy that his kids feel comfortable in both worlds, whereas he said he never did.

I tried to pick people who had a hearing loss from near birth. Some are progressive, but they had a loss from the start. Also, I don't believe the people who I named grew up with ASL...

and some of them picked up asl, and some are getting into asl... so.... like i said, i dont want to get into discussion.

oh please... no one sit there with a smile pasted on their face . I think the father very well want to be included in the conversation.

oh please... no one sit there with a smile pasted on their face . I think the father very well want to be included in the conversation.

So, the parents using the language they want is more important than what the child is comfortable with? Oh wait, isn't that the opposite argument you make AGAINST oralism??

use the language that accessible to everyone so they can have a nice family conversation.

So, no matter what the child feels more comfortable in, they should be forced to use the language that the other person prefers, even when they are not communicating with them?

Maybe you are looking in the wrong places. Have you sought out the oral deaf community?

:) I've met a ton of people.. a ton... way more than enough for me to say that I'd like them to have ASL.

Also that extends to the hearing community imho.

if they feel uncomfortable with ASL, then I think they are ashamed of it.

:) I've met a ton of people.. a ton... way more than enough for me to say that I'd like them to have ASL.

Also that extends to the hearing community imho.

But just because you want them to use ASL, doesn't mean they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back