So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is part of team in oral school.

I'll revive this thread in 5 years when 10 more Deaf schools have closed and 20 more have switched to ASL-spoken English through audition Dual Language programs. Then we'll see who is right!

I think you've just shown your true colors. :wave:

I think you've just shown your true colors. :wave:

I said that I think that Deaf schools need to change to fit the needs of their deaf students. That would include auditory therapy and fluent spoken language immersion through listening. If the schools refuse to do that, yes, eventually they will close. They will close because families will no longer enroll their children in the school. Why would you attend a school that won't meet your needs? They won't, and then the schools will run out of students. I would MUCH rather the schools change to meet the needs of the students rather than go under. I think a lack of Deaf schools would be HORRIBLE! But, it will happen if they don't do it. They need to embrace the future, like Li-Li's school!!!!!!!!

didn't LiLi mom say that some of the kids are leaving? Dispite they have catered to their needs?

Blah.........

i remember the days.. of speech classes.. HATED it.

Fking a. What's a 1 hour per week do to you anyways... Not much. So why bother

didn't LiLi mom say that some of the kids are leaving? Dispite they have catered to their needs?

Some. She said that they are doing so well with their CI's that the family's want to emphasis spoken language more.

Blah.........

i remember the days.. of speech classes.. HATED it.

Fking a. What's a 1 hour per week do to you anyways... Not much. So why bother

So you are saying that 1 hour a week isn't enough to get a kid fluent in a language?

exactly, so don't twist it around to where I say a hour isnt enough to learn a language.

Taking a person out of an english class to learn speech... Which causes more harm for learning the language itself... Taking the person out of learning english.

And they usually arent happy to be in the speech classes..

If anything... my advice is to make sure your speech teachers are NOT smokers... fucking disgusting.

That's what I mean.

Why is it bad? The child was given ASL, right from the start. The child was also given spoken language. If the child prefers one language or mode of communication over the other, why shouldn't they be allowed to exercise that preference?

exactly, so don't twist it around to where I say a hour isnt enough to learn a language.

Taking a person out of an english class to learn speech... Which causes more harm for learning the language itself... Taking the person out of learning english.

If anything... my advice is to make sure your speech teachers are NOT smokers... fucking disgusting.

Sometimes I think deaf education by in our generation are soo weird. It's like blah... and there's no spirit. I hope it is better now.

I understand that perhaps your pull outs were speech based, but my child receives LANGUAGE services in her pull outs. The focus is not on articulation but one understanding and more properly using the language. Right now one of my daughter's goals is improving her pronouns (he vs she, him vs her, his vs hers, etc) as well as using "to be" plus 'ing verbs. That is in her pull outs, language therapy.

Why is it bad? The child was given ASL, right from the start. The child was also given spoken language. If the child prefers one language or mode of communication over the other, why shouldn't they be allowed to exercise that preference?

they have that right, but just saying even if we did cater to their needs, I don't think it will encourage them to stay to be part of the Deaf language and community.

they have that right, but just saying even if we did cater to their needs, I don't think it will encourage them to stay and be part of the Deaf language and community.

So, what's the solution? That they HAVE TO continue with ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back