So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the child has a preference? That doesn't seem fair.

Well... You've seen PLENTY of people who grew up oral and are not exactly happy later in life here in Alldeaf... 2+2

Also you have seen plenty of people who are oral only... They're special, alright.. HHIssues, Drphil..... Bravo

A child will be happy to use ASL if their parent are.

That isn't always the case. I know of some Deaf of Deaf kids who prefer to speak even though their entire family is Deaf and use ASL. I also know several CI kids who started out using both ASL and spoken language, but end up prefering spoken language. In fact, I knew one family where the older child was totally oral, but the younger child used ASL primarily.

Well... You've seen PLENTY of people who grew up oral and are not exactly happy later in life here in Alldeaf... 2+2

Also you have seen plenty of people who are oral only... They're special, alright.. HHIssues, Drphil..... Bravo

So why is one experience valid and the other dismissed?

what is the ONE experience? and what was dismissed?

You are saying that the "traditional" Deaf story (started oral, unhappy, found ASL) is the obvious and important story. But there are plenty of oral deaf people who are perfectly happy being oral.

You are saying that the "traditional" Deaf story (started oral, unhappy, found ASL) is the obvious and important story. But there are plenty of oral deaf people who are perfectly happy being oral.

i dont see them. show me them here?

If their family were oral deaf, I can see... but culturally deaf with no speech and listening skills... I think that kind of messed up if they refuse to sign to communicate...make me think these kids were led to be ashamed of being deaf and use ASL

i dont see them. show me them here?

Daredevil, Shelia022, Phi4sius, Alicia (I believe), Kokonut, HearAgain, Coolgirlspyer90, C-Nice (I think) and that one girl, I can't place her name...Kai...something. She was implanted pretty young, she is in her 20's I think....

If their family were oral deaf, I can see... but culturally deaf with no speech and listening skills... I think that kind of messed up if they refuse to sign to communicate...make me think these kids were led to be ashamed of being deaf and use ASL

I didn't say refuse, I say prefer. Like the second "Sound and Fury", the kids are all implanted and mainstreamed and use spoken language, even though both their parents are culturally Deaf, ASL users.

I do have some stuff to say about them... But not gonna get into another discussion regarding individuals.

you know, just about all of them have ASL so they are not in between world. they had both world. Rather they learned it late, or early (but some of them are rusty)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back