So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I think it is messed up. Why would a family do that? Why would a family avoid talking to another family member because of communication differences.

No, I think it is messed up. Why would a family do that? Why would a family avoid talking to another family member because of communication differences.

THEY AREN'T! You aren't getting it. When they communicate with an ASL user, they would use ASL, but THEY prefer to use spoken language. Why do you refuse to respect their desire?

I asked you if they would stop ASL completely and you say yes...

as far as I'm concern, they could go their whole life without talking (signing) to their father. I would think they love their father enough to use ASL.

I asked you if they would stop ASL completely and you say yes...

as far as I'm concern, they could go their whole life without talking (signing) to their father. I would think they would love their father.

I know that I SPECIFICALLY said "it depends on the family". You are completely misreading.

no I'm not. I explained I can understand stopping ASL completely if they are oral deaf family... but not culturally deaf.

no I'm not. I explained I can understand stopping ASL completely if they are oral deaf family... but not culturally deaf.

OMG, I never said the family stopped using ASL. I said that the child prefers to use spoken language. I said that it depends on the family, how they handle it.

good because I don't see them stopping ASL because of their preference. Although, I still think they were rude to use spoken language around their father. They might as well ask him to eat somewhere else like in the kitchen.

And they usually arent happy to be in the speech classes..

If anything... my advice is to make sure your speech teachers are NOT smokers... fucking disgusting.

:laugh2: oh my god, how did i totally forget all about this breath coming from teacher.. lol!!!

I said that I think that Deaf schools need to change to fit the needs of their deaf students. That would include auditory therapy and fluent spoken language immersion through listening. If the schools refuse to do that, yes, eventually they will close. They will close because families will no longer enroll their children in the school. Why would you attend a school that won't meet your needs? They won't, and then the schools will run out of students. I would MUCH rather the schools change to meet the needs of the students rather than go under. I think a lack of Deaf schools would be HORRIBLE! But, it will happen if they don't do it. They need to embrace the future, like Li-Li's school!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of programs like included auditory therapy and fluent spoken langauge through listening schools around there and just leave deaf schools alone with using ASL. Yes it's sad that Deaf schools are in favor of using ASL majorly yet the hearing people and hearing society don't see what children's comfort zone in using ASL. Unfortunately, the hearing society are the large number of people and make lot of decisions for deaf schools and it never ends for them. Any time, they look at the small number of percents on Deaf people and feel that they better perform be in the hearing world. Sure Deaf people can function well in hearing people but they need to have structure and build their confidence themselves first through deaf schools before they can face with the hearing world. So, deaf schools are closing in hearing society's views which is very sad. For me, I see "deaf schools" means they are using ASL, while I see mainstream schools or hearing schools means Deaf kids uses both, ASL and speak that makes sense to me. Unfortunately deaf schools ' educations do need lot of work but the hearing society would not let or provide the good tips for deaf kids who are asl users to receive well educations because they want them to be mixed with hearing school along with speech therapy or spoken langauge. That's what hearing society did reflects that deaf schools look bad due to the inproperly educations. So That's how deaf schools are forced to be closing because they don't include the auditory therapy. It does not make sense to me that you think that deaf schools need auditory therapy or spoken langauge then deaf school wont close. Why are you embracing the deaf schools if they have auditory therapy? what about mainstreaming schools or hearing school with deaf programs that have speech therapy there? :confused:

does anyone volunteer to criticizing me if I think that Deaf culture are only for sign language? I sure do think that Deaf cultures are for anyone who uses ASL that have culturally immersion. If those deaf or hoh kids who prefer to speak alone then they know who they are, and are not part of deaf culture. So that's the whole point is that my thread is created.

if they feel uncomfortable with ASL, then I think they are ashamed of it.

I don't know for sure. I have seen a lot in some people because they have a difficult time learning ASL after they have been practicing to learn how to speak for years.

You are saying that the "traditional" Deaf story (started oral, unhappy, found ASL) is the obvious and important story. But there are plenty of oral deaf people who are perfectly happy being oral.

To be honest, I have met SO many oral deaf people but i haven't seen their attitudes that are cheery. Like the oral deaf people seems not to be willing to deal with me. How strange that hearing people can deal with me according to their comparison with deaf oral people and hearing people's attitudes are completely different. Interesting! Maybe my prefer of using ASL that offend the oral deaf people. :dunno: I swear that I do respect them if they prefer to speak only. In fact, Half of oral deaf people started learning ASL and their attitudes become more cheery to me.

To be honest, I have met SO many oral deaf people but i haven't seen their attitudes that are cheery. Like the oral deaf people seems not to be willing to deal with me. How strange that hearing people can deal with me according to their comparison with deaf oral people and hearing people's attitudes are completely different. Interesting! Maybe my prefer of using ASL that offend the oral deaf people. :dunno: I swear that I do respect them if they prefer to speak only. In fact, Half of oral deaf people started learning ASL and their attitudes become more cheery to me.

As a former oral deafie, I refused to associate with deaf people who use ASL growing up. Looking back and analyzing myself through therapy, I did that because I was ashamed of my deafness and was trying to be hearing as much as I can. Being around deaf signers made me face my deafness and I shunned them.

It was from being brainwashed by the doctors, audiologists, teachers and other hearing people that deafness was something defective and as a child, I didnt want to be defective or "different".

Maybe many of those oral deaf people feel the same way but wont admit it.

i know.

The only thing I don't want anyone to experience is the issue of between two worlds..
As a matter of fact, they were times I've actually been told "Seems that you've got the best of both worlds..." even from some of the other deaf people. And that's the honest truth...

As a former oral deafie, I refused to associate with deaf people who use ASL growing up. Looking back and analyzing myself through therapy, I did that because I was ashamed of my deafness and was trying to be hearing as much as I can. Being around deaf signers made me face my deafness and I shunned them.

It was from being brainwashed by the doctors, audiologists, teachers and other hearing people that deafness was something defective and as a child, I didnt want to be defective or "different".

Maybe many of those oral deaf people feel the same way but wont admit it.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe there's ALSO a possibility than some were "brainwashed" into thinking that the Deaf / ASL route was the way to go? As a matter of fact I think that may have even been in the back of some of the supposedly "oral converted into deaf"'s mind "Uh-oh, perhaps maybe I shouldn't have gone this way..." Especially now that they're seeing all those advances in Science, Technology, CI's, etc... And are concerned about it and are trying to make it look like they were "right" by taking the "Deaf" route, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back