Smoker and non-smoker

Smoker and Non-smoker

• Is it okay to smoke in your house? If yes, why?

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Is it okay to not smoke in your house? If yes, why?

Votes: 56 96.6%

• Total voters
Reba said:
Asthma More Likely If Grandma Smoked

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

By Miranda Hitti

Women who quit smoking before pregnancy could help their future grandchildren avoid asthma.

"If a woman smokes while she is pregnant, both her children and her grandchildren may be more likely to have asthma as a result," says Frank Gilliland, MD, PhD, in a news release...

Children were at higher risk for asthma if their grandmother had smoked while pregnant. Even if a grandmother's daughter didn't follow in her footsteps, her kids were still at higher risk for asthma.

Let's say Grandma smoked during pregnancy, but Mom didn't. The grandchild's asthma risk was almost twice as high as that of kids from smoke-free families (1.8 times).

If Grandma and Mom both smoked during their pregnancies, the child's asthma risk was even higher — 2.6 times that of children from nonsmoking backgrounds....

SOURCES: WebMD Medical News: "Fewer Women Are Smoking During Pregnancy." WebMD Medical News: "Smoking in Pregnancy May Cause Genetic Harm." WebMD Medical Reference provided in collaboration with The Cleveland Clinic: "Pregnancy: Smoking During Pregnancy."

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,153128,00.html

Wow! Interesting..

As I said, I have never smoked, but my parents did when i was growing up. My sister smokes now, and so does my brother in law. I've always worried about the health of the kids, and now, I have one more reason to be concerned.

:(

im been smoking when i was 18 years old but i wont tell my dad about that! they my dad found out! oh sheesh!

but i cant smoking in the house because my mom cant breath she had asthma when she was young my late grandfather had smoke too MUCH they he had heart attack in for first time 1975 and they he died in 1976.

my Grandmother had smoke also for years when i was little girls and i got sneak from her cirgarette to try! but and i dont tell dad.my Grandmother had heart reason but she not had heart surgery she had pacemaker but she quit smoking for 10 years ago.

my mom got throw my smoking and light filter i got pissed off at my mom and i got another one to purchase that! i told my mother please dont DO that again!

my Aunt and Cousin is smoking also when my cousin got smoking when she got pregnant with her sons i look it but i hates that its bad for baby! but its got lucky baby alives! no harms!

Sara Boyce

I Prefer No One Smokes In My House At All!!!

TERRI
HELLO
IM SORRY I FORBADE ANYONE EVEN MY RELATIVES AND MY CHILDREN TO SMOKE IN MY HOUSE!! BECUZ MY DEAR BELOVED MOTHER DIED FROM EMPHYSEMA FROM SMOKING IN '86!! THAT MAKES ME TO FORBADE ANYONE TO SMOKE IN MY HOUSE BEC I DON'T WANT ANY SMELLS OF SMOKING ON SOFA, RUGS, DRAPERS, ETC...THAT IS WHY! I DID SMOKED LONG AGO AND I QUITTED COLD TURKEY IN '67 WHEN I GOT FIRST MARRIED!! NEVER SMOKE AGAIN EVER SINCE'67...I FELT SO GOOD AND NOW I CAN'T STAND SMELL OF THEIR STUPID CIGG!!! IM SO GLAD ALL RESTURANTS, MOVIE THEATER, STORES BANNED ALL SMOKING INSIDE!!...YIPEEEE!!!
WELL...I'M SORRY BEC I HATE TO SEE ANYONE WHO SMOKES BEC I THINKS OF MY MOTHER ALOT AND I MISSES HER ALOT AS YOU MAY KNOW I AM ONLY CHILD!! NO BROTHER OR SISTER AT ALL!! THAT IS WHY I HAVE BIG FAMILY (4 CHILDREN)!!M 3 OF THEM ARE SMOKER.. :tears: WELL!!! I HOPE SOMEDAY THEY WILL QUIT SMOKING!!
TAKE CARE...TILL THEN!!... :ily:

I am not allow smokers in my house either. They have to go outside do theirs. My grandparent were chain smokers since they were in their young adults. My grandfather died of lung cancer was a lemon size in his lung. My grandmother died of unknown causes. I believed that she had emphysema while she smoked a cigerattes a whole pack. My mother heard her breath sounds like hard labor and puff throughout her nostils and mouth. I read the articles on myths and truth, I understand that grandparent can pass on to grandchildren (second-hand). Thats sad! Nictoine causes discolor on anything. Not a pretty picture.

Even if it was my own house, I wouldn't smoke in there. One, some people are allergic to smoke. Two, it creates a smelly environment. Three, it turns people off. I rather have a place that smells fresh and clean.

Askjo said:
Want cancer? If so, you smoke!

Everything gives you cancer, not just from smoking. Look it up, You'll be surprise. ;)

Cheri said:
Everything gives you cancer, not just from smoking. Look it up, You'll be surprise. ;)

Yeah, but everybody gotta eat.

Cigarettes are useless... I don't understand why people
like that stuff. :dunno:

Yes, I´m agree that it´s not only just smoking but unhealthy, junk foods, air, etc where it cause cancer.

Cheri said:

Please back that claim up if you can. I believe there's a very little truth to that claim. It is greatly exaggerated in my opinion and many would say the same. However, it is true that there are many factors that cause cancer but certainly not everything. But it's also true that some things will put you at a higher risk than the other. Though it could be determined by how a person live its life that put the person at a higher risk for getting cancer.

Everybody has cancer genes, cigarettes are one of these habit more likely to trigger these cancer genes to mutate and go bad in comparison to eating clean and unsprayed fruits.

Cigarettes put people at a higher risk in comparison to many different things. Smoking is a very unhealthy habit and shouldn't be smoked in houses, cars or any enclosed spaces even there are windows wide open. It's not only the fact that first-hand and second-hand smokers are put at a higher risk for cancer, there's also many, many more different diseases and potential health problems they'll run into.

Heck, it's believed by many that cigarettes are far more damaging than marijuana because of all the sickening elements they add to it including rat poison. Though I still consider marijuana to be a dangerous substance because inhaling smoke is not healthy at all. Nicotine addiction is both mental and physical.

People who are nursing mothers, diabetics, birth control pill users, hypertensives, obese people, very thin people, people who work with toxic chemicals, and ulcer patients are all at a high risk if they smoke or are exposed to secondhand smoking.

Problems that occur from smoking are Some problems from smoking surgical complications, nutritional deficiencies, stained teeth and fingers, increased caffeine and alcohol use, more divorce, more job changes, fires, and higher insurance just to name a few.

Cigarette smoking during childhood and adolescence produces significant health problems among young people, including cough and phlegm production, an increase in the number and severity of respiratory illnesses, decreased physical fitness, an unfavorable lipid profile and potential retardation in the rate of lung growth and the level of maximum lung function. An estimated 430,700 Americans die each year from diseases caused by smoking.

Source: Quit Smoking Tips

The Truth About How Second-Hand Smoke Travels In Your Home
The Health Effects of Second-Hand Smoke
The Truth About Second-Hand Smoke

I don't allow anyone to smoke in my place or my car. My fav aunt and uncle both died from smoking complications. During their last years, both had to use so many meds that they EACH had a small carry-on case filled with pills and inhalers. Bill had to hook himself up to a machine the size of a car battery once every 1-2 hours to clear his lungs. He spent his last six weeks in ICU before his heart gave out. SMOKING IS NOT WORTH IT!!

Yeah, my step mother died of lung cancer in 1992.

She quitted smoke with my Dad in 1990 and 2 years later then she got cancer. The doctor said after examined her that smoke affect her healthy. She had been smoke for many years.

Banjo said:
Please back that claim up if you can. I believe there's a very little truth to that claim.

What cause cancer?
Acetaldehyde, acrylamide, acrylonitril, abortion, agent orange, alar, alcohol, air pollution, aldrin, alfatoxin, arsenic, arsine, asbestos, asphalt fumes, atrazine, AZT, baby food, benzene, benzidine, benzopyrene, beryllium, beta-carotene, betel nuts, birth control pills, bottled water, bracken, bread, breasts, calcium channel blockers, cadmium, captan, carbon black, carbon tetrachloride, careers for women, casual sex, car fumes, celery, charred foods, chewing gum, Chinese food, Chinese herbal supplements, chloramphenicol, chlordane, chlorinated camphene, chlorinated water, chlorodiphenyl, chloroform, cholesterol, low cholesterol, chromium, coal tar, coffee, coke ovens, crackers, creosote, cyclamates, dairy products, deodorants, depleted uranium, depression, dichloryacetylene, DDT, dieldrin, diesel exhaust, diet soda, dimethyl sulphate, dinitrotouluene, dioxin, dioxane, epichlorhydrin, ethyle acrilate, ethylene, ethilene dibromide, ethnic beliefs,ethylene dichloride, Ex-Lax, fat, fluoridation, flying, formaldehyde, free radicals, fruit, gasoline, genes, gingerbread, global warming, gluteraldehyde, granite, grilled meat, Gulf war, hair dyes, hamburgers, heliobacter pylori, hepatitis B virus, hexachlorbutadiene, hexachlorethane, high bone mass, HPMA, HRT, hydrazine, hydrogen peroxide, incense, infertility, jewellery, Kepone, kissing, lack of exercise, laxatives, lead, left handedness, Lindane, Listerine, low fibre diet, magnetic fields, malonaldehyde, mammograms, manganese, marijuana, methyl bromide, methylene chloride, menopause, microwave ovens, milk hormones, mixed spices, mobile phones, MTBE, nickel, night lighting, night shifts, nitrates, not breast feeding, not having a twin, nuclear power plants, Nutrasweet, obesity, oestrogen, olestra, olive oil, orange juice, oxygenated gasoline, oyster sauce, ozone, ozone depletion, passive smoking, PCBs, peanuts, pesticides, pet birds, plastic IV bags, polio vaccine, potato crisps (chips), power lines, proteins, Prozac, PVC, radio masts, radon, railway sleepers, red meat, Roundup, saccharin, salt, selenium, semiconductor plants, shellfish, sick buildings, soy sauce, stress, strontium, styrene, sulphuric acid, sun beds, sunlight, sunscreen, talc, tetrachloroethylene, testosterone, tight bras, toast, toasters, tobacco, tooth fillings, toothpaste (with fluoride or bleach), trichloroethylene, under-arm shaving, unvented stoves, uranium, vegetables, vinyl bromide, vinyl chloride, vinyl fluoride, vinyl toys, vitamins, vitreous fibres, wallpaper, weedkiller (2-4 D), welding fumes, well water, weight gain, winter, wood dust, work, x-rays.

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/cancer list.htm

Also, Breast cancer (Some people don't smoke get breast cancer too even my aunt had breast cancer never smoke in her lifetime.

Many genetic changes that lead to cancer are the result of tobacco use, diet, exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, or exposure to carcinogens (cancer-causing substances) in the workplace and in the environment.
http://cis.nci.nih.gov/fact/6_7.htm
People can reduce their chances of getting cancer by not using tobacco products; by choosing foods with less fat and eating more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains; by exercising regularly and avoiding obesity; and by avoiding the harmful rays of the sun.

People can reduce their chances of getting cancer by not using tobacco products; by choosing foods with less fat and eating more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains; by exercising regularly and avoiding obesity; and by avoiding the harmful rays of the sun.

Look like I was right. Skin cancer is a different subject to have a discussion on. Nobody's saying that smoking is the only thing that causes cancer. But it's a fact that smoking will lead to health problems.

Also, we have a lot of problems with the ozone layer as we speak. We've created a lot of massive holes in them from polluting. These holes allow the dangerous sun rays to dramatically increase the risk of getting skin cancer. That's our own fault for allowing it to happen.

Anyway, the website you linked, NumberWatch.co.uk. I don't think the person was dead-on serious about that. Note the line, "The complete list of things that give you cancer (according to epidemiologists)". It was a way of showing how the epidemiologists are trying to scare the people and resorting to quackery. This website is more of a "conspiracy theories" website.

Cheri said:
Also, Breast cancer (Some people don't smoke get breast cancer too even my aunt had breast cancer never smoke in her lifetime.

Breast cancer isn't always caused by smoking, a lot of people who don't smoke can get breast cancer too. Sometime it run in the family, or they get it somehow. But one don't always have to smoke firsthand to get cancer, secondhand smoking is just as dangerous. People have to remember that, secondhand smoking is not a joke.

I agree, Banjo, and I will take it even further and say that ANYTHING you put into your lungs are suspect. Peter Jennings died of lung cancer and he quit smoking 20 years ago. I dunno, could it have been from the hair spray I imagine he suffered in the makeup dept. before he aired on tv?
:dunno:

Banjo said:
Breast cancer isn't always caused by smoking, a lot of people who don't smoke can get breast cancer too. Sometime it run in the family, or they get it somehow. But one don't always have to smoke firsthand to get cancer, secondhand smoking is just as dangerous. People have to remember that, secondhand smoking is not a joke.

:doh: People are aware of second hand smoker like me for example. I don't smoke around my children and I have respect to go outside.

Anyway, the website you linked, NumberWatch.co.uk. I don't think the person was dead-on serious about that. Note the line, "The complete list of things that give you cancer (according to epidemiologists)". It was a way of showing how the epidemiologists are trying to scare the people and resorting to quackery. This website is more of a "conspiracy theories" website

Well, It is true alot of things can give you cancer. Why don't you ask your own doctor. :D

Beowulf said:
I agree, Banjo, and I will take it even further and say that ANYTHING you put into your lungs are suspect. Peter Jennings died of lung cancer and he quit smoking 20 years ago. I dunno, could it have been from the hair spray I imagine he suffered in the makeup dept. before he aired on tv?
:dunno:

Peter Jennings is still alive. Though he's undergoing the treatments to fight the cancer. Hair Spray? Ugh, I remember these cans with CFC in them that my sister used in her teen years. If one isn't familiar with CFC, look it up on google. There's a lot people need to know about the dangers of CFC. Good thing that they took a lot of effects into banning several products with CFC in them.

Cheri said:
:doh: People are aware of second hand smoker like me for example. I don't smoke around my children and I have respect to go outside.

Doesn't matter, the chemicals from the cigarettes stick to your clothes for hours after smoking which mean people are being exposed to them. You really have to read the earlier posts I made in this thread. They contain a lot of information.

Even smoking in cars without children in them doesn't reduce the dangers. The children still will be exposed to these chemicals hours after one smokes in a car. These chemicals will stay in the car for quite a good while. Rolling down windows in the car don't get rid of the chemicals at all because the winds aren't powerful enough to wipe them out.

Well, It is true alot of things can give you cancer. Why don't you ask your own doctor. :D

Yes, but it is also true that some are more dangerous than the other. I don't have to ask my doctor to find out the truth. I've looked into the problems with smoking for years and it is very clear to me that they are a problem. In Canada, they put graphic images of what smoking can do to people on the cigarette packagings.

People can't simply deny these facts. Making excuses isn't going to make it any less true.

Back