Sign Language is not easy to do!

Ariakkas said:
why didn't you jump all over this comment angel...its exactly the same thing i said. its harder for adults to learn languages than it is for kids.

Pardon me? I'm not jumping on anyone here, I post my own view on how I feel, you jumped on me for what I said and I replied back... :dunno:

I have no problem with people who disagree with me but it doesn't make it okay to twist my words around and saying I'm nit picking which I'm not...

I still feel that it's not hard to learn sign language, everyone sees this differently but that doesn't mean I'm wrong for feeling this way, okay?... :)

It's not hard for adults to learn sign language, It's harder to read lips, Try that and see the differences. ;)

Sign language wasn't hard for me to learn when I first learnt it after enrolling at a deaf school at age 14. In fact, it only took me about 2 months to be fluent with signing.

Well, Its Not That Hard For Adult To Learn The Sign Language Because My Real Dad Didnt Learn How To Sign Language Back When I Was Young And Now He Realize How Its Very Important For Us To Keep In Touch And Commuincate So He Took All Asl Classes At The Commuinty College And He Is Excellent @ Sign Language! Obviously You Can Do It! Just A Tip.. Sign Realx! Dont Uptight Yourself Or Sign So Stiff. Just Relax Your Hand And Sign! Simply

I had hearing long time ago.But the doctor says i problely lost all my hearing in a virus.But i was feeling ok on that day i experanced sudden deafness.My hearing just gone low,Then Low,Then Low and 3 weeks i lost my speech hearing.I speak so well and all i been experancing is noises in my hearing doctors call it tinnitis. C.I i disapprove cause my audiologist says its nothing like normal hearing that you have.Its Robotic sounds in other words its a computer program the sounds in your auditory nerve.The M.R.I shows my nerves are not working from my brain to hearing nerves.He explain to me scintist are working on hair cell regrow generation.Taking sign language is like learning how to talk when youre a kid.You know your first words dont you? Like cat,Dog,Mom,Dad one,two and so on.I gotta learn that in Sign Language the whole english vocabulary all over again.That means 12 years in school and 4 more years in college. :pissed:

Buckdodgers said:
...I gotta learn that in Sign Language the whole english vocabulary all over again.That means 12 years in school and 4 more years in college. :pissed:
No, it's not going to take that many years to learn. Within a year you can be conversational if you are motivated.

Buckdodgers said:
I had hearing long time ago.But the doctor says i problely lost all my hearing in a virus.But i was feeling ok on that day i experanced sudden deafness.My hearing just gone low,Then Low,Then Low and 3 weeks i lost my speech hearing.I speak so well and all i been experancing is noises in my hearing doctors call it tinnitis. C.I i disapprove cause my audiologist says its nothing like normal hearing that you have.Its Robotic sounds in other words its a computer program the sounds in your auditory nerve.The M.R.I shows my nerves are not working from my brain to hearing nerves.He explain to me scintist are working on hair cell regrow generation.Taking sign language is like learning how to talk when youre a kid.You know your first words dont you? Like cat,Dog,Mom,Dad one,two and so on.I gotta learn that in Sign Language the whole english vocabulary all over again.That means 12 years in school and 4 more years in college. :pissed:

This off topic but I do want to understand something here about what you said. If you have a problem with your cochlear nerve (the nerve that transmit noise impulses from your cochlea (inner ear) to your brain is not working, then hair cell growth regeneration isn't going to do diddly squat for you. Hair cell growth regeneration is for the Cochlea and it needs to have a viable Cochlea nerve to work with to get the electrical impulses to your brain. Perhaps, it was the way you explained it...anyway to keep from bogging down this thread...you can PM (do a private message) to me instead.

^Angel^ said:
Pardon me? I'm not jumping on anyone here, I post my own view on how I feel, you jumped on me for what I said and I replied back... :dunno:

I have no problem with people who disagree with me but it doesn't make it okay to twist my words around and saying I'm nit picking which I'm not...

I still feel that it's not hard to learn sign language, everyone sees this differently but that doesn't mean I'm wrong for feeling this way, okay?... :)

Don't forget that this is a two way street.

Buckdodgers said:
That means 12 years in school and 4 more years in college. :pissed:

After it was realised that I'm hard of hearing I started learning to sign as a consequence of where I go to school. It's been a little over a year now and while I'm not fluent per se, I'm more than simply conversational. All told it really doesn't take that long if you're willing to invest time and most importantly, effort and desire. If you don't want to be able to sign, you won't make the effort to learn or make the year or two of time commitment.

Your problem is that you don't want to learn to sign. You're making excuses (which aren't true anyway) to defend that point. Just come out and say that you don't want to sign. It's a lot easier than making up ridiculous reasons for why you shouldn't learn.

Buckdodgers said:

why do i get the feeling you are ravensteven??? i have been reading all of your posts in other threads... this sounds JUST LIKE HIM.... as well...

I grew up oral without sign language for 12 years til I got to high school.. I started learning the abc's and basic signs.. I have relied on lipreading for years and still do. Now, that I have been out in the real world after high school, I became more and more involved in the deaf world and learned to pick up some more signs. Then I went to Gallaudet. That's when I learned ASL. I loved it but I'm not a natural at ASL. I've gotten used to depending on lip-reading and moving my lips when I sign. It messes me up when I talk and sign at the same time. I'm trying to break the habit of talking when I'm signing.. I think I'm doing much better now. I'd prefer ASL / SEE for me than trying to rely on lipreading. I can speak well, I think.. from what people say.. I can speak well. But I don't think I do.

I do know people have variations of their self-learning skills. Some are just slow at learning or picking up quickly. Some think its really hard.. it takes alot of time and patience. Once you get to the point of knowing what the signs are.. you'll get there in no time!

RebelGirl said:
I grew up oral without sign language for 12 years til I got to high school.. I started learning the abc's and basic signs.. I have relied on lipreading for years and still do. Now, that I have been out in the real world after high school, I became more and more involved in the deaf world and learned to pick up some more signs. Then I went to Gallaudet. That's when I learned ASL. I loved it but I'm not a natural at ASL. I've gotten used to depending on lip-reading and moving my lips when I sign. It messes me up when I talk and sign at the same time. I'm trying to break the habit of talking when I'm signing.. I think I'm doing much better now. I'd prefer ASL / SEE for me than trying to rely on lipreading. I can speak well, I think.. from what people say.. I can speak well. But I don't think I do!

You are so much alike as my sister and I. :thumb: I get messed up too when I tried to sign and talk the same time, my signs didn't follow my saying at times. :giggle:

FeistyChick said:
why do i get the feeling you are ravensteven??? i have been reading all of your posts in other threads... this sounds JUST LIKE HIM.... as well...

Who knows? :dunno:

IcedTeaRulz said:
Who knows? :dunno:

a friend and i think it is REALLY him... (we are VERY SURE it is his him and we are surprised that no one NOTICED it :|) ... oh well... but it is NOT MY PROBLEM... he can continue with his NEGATIVITY/IGORANCE like usual- for all i care :D

if you read all of his posts VERY CAREFULLY... it sounds just like ravensteven... :D

Cheri said:
You are so much alike as my sister and I. :thumb: I get messed up too when I tried to sign and talk the same time, my signs didn't follow my saying at times. :giggle:

SAME HERE
... and it gets embarrassing... but what can i do?? :Oops: yet, i STILL make the effort to communicate with those who can't "speak" like we do WITHOUT BEING ARROGANT NOR IGNORANT :nana: like who know who! :giggle: -right??? :thumb: so they shouldn't be labeling us cuz we are "deaf" us even though we can speak!!! :squint: ... i am grateful that i can speak two languages!!! SPEAKING AND SIGNING!!! well i can speak spanish and a little bit of chinese... i am learning french as well! it is FUN BUT CHALLENGING!!! :shock: :D

FeistyChick said:
a friend and i think it is REALLY him... (we are VERY SURE it is his him and we are surprised that no one NOTICED it :|) ... oh well... but it is NOT MY PROBLEM... he can continue with his NEGATIVITY/IGORANCE like usual- for all i care :D

if you read all of his posts VERY CAREFULLY... it sounds just like ravensteven... :D

U might be right. We will find out.

^Angel^ said:

Angel...my apologies. I was in a crappy mood this morning and should not have said what I did. I sometimes feel of being a victim of the same things you mentioned in your post. It was a very long day yesterday (and ran well into the night), and I apologize for my morning crankiness. :cheers:

Taylor said:
Angel...my apologies. I was in a crappy mood this morning and should not have said what I did. I sometimes feel of being a victim of the same things you mentioned in your post. It was a very long day yesterday (and ran well into the night), and I apologize for my morning crankiness. :cheers:

:grins: no worries here Taylor, I've had my own share of bad days also but Thank you, it means alot :hug:

Back