Sign Language is not easy to do!

CutePommie said:
See what it say :quote: from Buckdodgers [I perfer to go to lip reading school cause i can still speak in very good vocabulary.Sign Language if you sign with a wrong word you wont understand what im saying.]

See it say * I prefer* .. (so why are you bother me Taylor !! Grrr!!)

Jeez....

*I prefer* SEE to ASL. By your logic, I m being snotty against ASL users....

Really, why does it matter that he/she prefers lip reading to sign language anyways?

CutePommie said:
See what it say :quote: from Buckdodgers [I perfer to go to lip reading school cause i can still speak in very good vocabulary.Sign Language if you sign with a wrong word you wont understand what im saying.]

See it say * I prefer* .. (so why are you bother me Taylor !! Grrr!!)

I'm not bothering you...I'm still learning about deaf culture and I don't understand why it is 'snotty' for somebody to say they prefer lipreading. Do be so defensive...sheesh.

Keep it up!

Lip reading is much harder than leaning ASL.
It just takes practice, eventually your get it.
Find some local deaf agencies in our area, and check it out.
If they have any deaf events go to as many as you can.
Don't be afriad to talk with them.
Good luck!
Don't give up Taylor!!
Margie
Dir. of Commication Services
OCDAC
Interperter
I've known sign languge (ASL) 32 yrs.

I agree with many of the posts. Lipreading is harder than learning sign language! Sign language has less vocabularies than you learn to speak in a whole sentence.

hootster said:
Jeez....

*I prefer* SEE to ASL. By your logic, I m being snotty against ASL users....

Really, why does it matter that he/she prefers lip reading to sign language anyways?

Good to know . . I know someone who also live in Oklahoma !...

Taylor said:
I'm not bothering you...I'm still learning about deaf culture and I don't understand why it is 'snotty' for somebody to say they prefer lipreading. Do be so defensive...sheesh.

Why not you go to your hometown Deaf Club... then you will learning more about Deaf culture from there ...

I dunno sign isnt to hard... If you learn to finger spell first it all just starts to fall into place

To me, ASL is like learning any other language. It takes time and patience, especially if you're older (in most situations).

Margie said:
Don't give up Taylor!!

I think we can all agree that Taylor is pretty much last on the list of hearing people on AD likely to give up learning sign language.

CutePommie said:
Why not you go to your hometown Deaf Club... then you will learning more about Deaf culture from there ...

That is an excellent idea but I don't trust my signing skills enough to go yet (yeah..they say not to be afraid to go but it makes me nervous LOL). I'd feel better if I had a deaf friend to join me at some of these events to make it go a little smoother.

Taylor said:
That is an excellent idea but I don't trust my signing skills enough to go yet (yeah..they say not to be afraid to go but it makes me nervous LOL). I'd feel better if I had a deaf friend to join me at some of these events to make it go a little smoother.

How much signs do you know so far, and the reason why I asked is because I'm not as good either, I learn sign language late, and I use SEE not ASL..

When I went to a deaf club, there were serveral deaf people who were using ASL, and not moving their lips at all, just signing so quickly, I couldn't understand a word they're saying, :dunno: I must admit I almost fell alsleep... :zzz:

Sorry.... :angel:

Okay i want to response to Taylor and Angel ... I does to agree with what Angel said that she see the deaf people that use ASL and they does to signs fast without move their mouths , yes it does to make hard for you to understand they signs to you without move their's mouth .

Am lucky really because am very good at lipreadings and i does always use BSL/SSE signers with move my mouth to use the words without voice lol .. but i does to use voice as very loud so i always control my own voice if i talk to hearing people via lipreadings on depend if they doesn't signs .. or part of signs , ( hard work lol ), I used to be BSL tutor for 11 years and now I teach BSL at work only for all the staffs at work to polish their's BSL skills .

AS for Taylor ..... you dont have to need to know fully the signers before go to your hometown deaf club. how about go on the ASL course at your area college or Adult Education College if it does have ? if you have feel the confindence enough to be brave to go Deaf club ... and you dont have to letting them know that you are the Cop . i just warning you because i does to know most deaf people does have attitude toward the Cops , i wish i could be more of help since i am not from USA smile ... and good luck ....

JustinZ28 said:
I dunno sign isnt to hard... If you learn to finger spell first it all just starts to fall into place

Am sorry to say that I do not to agree to have to learn fingerspelling first because it would take too long before to learn the word signs ... i find it much better to learn both way at same time .. they learn quicker but not that quicker as we expect lol ..... because i am the BSL tutor ...

Taylor said:

I understand .. you will feel better if have deaf friend to go with to go any of the deaf events ... does you have a deaf friend ? or want to make friend with deaf person ?

Ps i will tell you one story as it is long story ... i will do it when i have more time as i am busy at the moment .... ( i am at coffee break from decorationg)

It's easy for me to use ASL because I am connected to that through my feelings. It is very hard for me to rely on oralism because I am not connected to that through feelings.. but take it easy, it takes time to practice and start off small. Don't stress yourself. I'm trying to learn speech and a friend is teaching me patiently, and it's just like working out.. gotta start off small, and it gotta be fun... , so I can prove that people CAN learn ASL if they find a fun way to learn it... no excuses. :)

To me, ASL is like learning any other language. It takes time and patience, especially if you're older (in most situations).

why didn't you jump all over this comment angel...its exactly the same thing i said. its harder for adults to learn languages than it is for kids.

eventually it loses the mysticism and you realize they are people just like you. some will like you, some wont. some will be open to you, some wont. Its been my personal expierence that younger(early-mid 20's) deaf are alot more open to new signers than the older deaf crowd...this could be wrong, but this is my personal expierence. i also happen to be in that crowd so that could have smething to do with it. they are also less strict about ASL than the older crowd.

that said, putting it off only delays your learning. only way to learn is immersion, so go for it. accept that you will make mistakes and look like a fool, its part of learning. oh and if you dont understand, make them explain it again and again until you understand, dont nod :whistle:

Hmmmm I found it easier to fingerspell then learn asl I did learn both at the same time. But I relied on fingerspelling heavily at first. Now I use the SEE method mostly, because all my friends use the see method but I don't mind asl at all its not hard to follow if there lips don't move... But hey that's just me I had an easy time picking up new thing....

i think that was just an excuse that she is left handed she just didnt want to bother

i think deaf/hoh people very smart they can figure out what you are trying to sign

Back