Sex Offender's Attacker: 'I Would Do It Again'

Occhhh double post...

Interesting to read "SAFEGUARDS YOU CAN TAKE TO HELP PREVENT CHILD ABDUCTIONS:" from bottom of that link. Strangers is including in that link...

SAFEGUARDS YOU CAN TAKE TO HELP PREVENT CHILD ABDUCTIONS:

STRANGERS ARE NOT ALWAYS EVIL LOOKING

Child molesters and abductors usually look like everyday people. Tell your kids not to talk to adults they do not know. Anytime they are approached by an adult they should check with a parent or trusted adult immediately.

HOW CHILD MOLESTERS AND ABDUCTORS GAIN A CHILD'S CONFIDENCE

Often times they will befriend a child by asking for help. Some examples are: Asking to help find a lost pet; asking directions to someone's house; offering reward money for assistance; saying Mom or Dad have been hurt or need their help; acting like an undercover police officer (children should only approach uniformed police officers, and/or marked police cars).

They may also gain your child's trust by very minor contacts over several days, such as saying hello to them repeatedly. Make sure your children know to tell you if a stranger is trying to make friends with them.

CHILDREN ARE MOST VULNERABLE WHEN ALONE

Individuals who prey on children wait for an opportunity when the child is alone. Children should not be outside their home by themselves, even for short periods of time. They should walk to and from school and bus stops in groups.

Working together with other families in your neighborhood to develop a formal plan for kids to walk together is a good idea.

Parents are encouraged to join or organize a Neighborhood Watch program in their community.

TELL CHILDREN TO STAY AWAY FROM CARS

A car or other vehicle is often the means by which the abductor removes the child from the neighborhood. Children should never approach a vehicle unless they are absolutely sure they know the occupants. Abductors entice children to walk near their vehicles and then pull them inside.

If children routinely see the same car parked (or following them) on their normal walking routes (to and from school, etc.) they should report it to trusted adults immediately.

Self Defense safety tips

Interesting to read "SAFEGUARDS YOU CAN TAKE TO HELP PREVENT CHILD ABDUCTIONS:" from bottom of that link. Strangers is including in that link...

SAFEGUARDS YOU CAN TAKE TO HELP PREVENT CHILD ABDUCTIONS:

STRANGERS ARE NOT ALWAYS EVIL LOOKING

Child molesters and abductors usually look like everyday people. Tell your kids not to talk to adults they do not know. Anytime they are approached by an adult they should check with a parent or trusted adult immediately.

HOW CHILD MOLESTERS AND ABDUCTORS GAIN A CHILD'S CONFIDENCE

Often times they will befriend a child by asking for help. Some examples are: Asking to help find a lost pet; asking directions to someone's house; offering reward money for assistance; saying Mom or Dad have been hurt or need their help; acting like an undercover police officer (children should only approach uniformed police officers, and/or marked police cars).

They may also gain your child's trust by very minor contacts over several days, such as saying hello to them repeatedly. Make sure your children know to tell you if a stranger is trying to make friends with them.

CHILDREN ARE MOST VULNERABLE WHEN ALONE

Individuals who prey on children wait for an opportunity when the child is alone. Children should not be outside their home by themselves, even for short periods of time. They should walk to and from school and bus stops in groups.

Working together with other families in your neighborhood to develop a formal plan for kids to walk together is a good idea.

Parents are encouraged to join or organize a Neighborhood Watch program in their community.

TELL CHILDREN TO STAY AWAY FROM CARS

A car or other vehicle is often the means by which the abductor removes the child from the neighborhood. Children should never approach a vehicle unless they are absolutely sure they know the occupants. Abductors entice children to walk near their vehicles and then pull them inside.

If children routinely see the same car parked (or following them) on their normal walking routes (to and from school, etc.) they should report it to trusted adults immediately.

Self Defense safety tips

These are all good things to teach a child. I would add that in the majority of cases, the abductor or the abuser is someone that the child knows and trusts. So they also need to be taught that even if they know a person, they are not to get in a car with them unless their parent has told them that they are to do it. And also, that there are certain things that no one is allowed to do to them, even a parent. I have gone on 3 sexual assault calls in the last 2 weeks involving a child. In 2 of those cases, the abuser was the stepfather, in the 3rd, the abuser was the child's grandfather. In fact, of all the child sexual assault cases I have been called in to deal with, not one has been a stranger assault. The abusers have all been parent, step parent, or close family member. In the number of adult sexual assualt cases I have dealt with, the vast majority of the abusers have been known to the victim. I have run into only one or two cases total that the attacker was a stranger.

Let me tell you a true story (my experience).

A few years ago, I was driving to various local addresses for yard sales. On the way home, I pulled into an apartment complex parking lot to turnaround. Next to the lot, I noticed a little girl (about 4-years-old), playing by herself in a mud puddle. It seemed odd to me, so I paused in my car and looked around. I expected to see a parent or babysitter nearby. I saw no other human around. I pulled up next to the little girl, rolled down my car window, and spoke to her. I said, "Honey, where's your mommy?" She looked at me confused. I said, "Is Daddy or Mommy here?" She shook her head no. I asked if she lived in the apartments. She shook her head yes. I asked if she knew the apartment number, and she gave me a blank look.

I then decided I better stay with her until another adult showed up, or until she could lead me to her apartment. Then I asked her, "Did your mommy tell you not to speak to strangers?" She shook her head yes. I asked her, "Do you know who I am?" She shook her head no. That was so frightening. During this time, I had my car running, and no one was around. I could have easily grabbed the girl, put her in the car, locked the doors, and drove off. No one would ever know what happened to her. I sat out there for more than 30 minutes, and not one adult, not a relative, not a neighbor, no one came out and questioned who I was.

Finally, a car drove up and the little girl said, "Mommy!" I walked over to the car, and told the woman what happened. She said, "Oh, everything is OK. My husband is inside the apartment but he's watching her from a window." Yeah, right. :roll: If he was really watching her, he would have run outside to find out who I was, and why I was talking to his daughter. (I forgot to mention that the way my car was parked, it was between the girl and the building, so someone looking out the window could not "watch" or even see the girl.) I emphasized to the woman that I had been there over 30 minutes and no one came outside. I constantly checked my car clock, so I knew the time. She kept saying, "Oh, he was watching her; she was fine." Then they walked away, into their apartment (which was down a passageway, not even facing the parking lot).
:jaw:
My point is, children are told to avoid strangers, yes. But a child doesn't really have a conception of who is a "stranger."

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Reba. :)
My point is, children are told to avoid strangers, yes. But a child doesn't really have a conception of who is a "stranger."
Exactly, Thank you. ;)

A few years ago, I was driving to various local addresses for yard sales. On the way home, I pulled into an apartment complex parking lot to turnaround. Next to the lot, I noticed a little girl (about 4-years-old), playing by herself in a mud puddle. It seemed odd to me, so I paused in my car and looked around. I expected to see a parent or babysitter nearby. I saw no other human around. I pulled up next to the little girl, rolled down my car window, and spoke to her. I said, "Honey, where's your mommy?" She looked at me confused. I said, "Is Daddy or Mommy here?" She shook her head no. I asked if she lived in the apartments. She shook her head yes. I asked if she knew the apartment number, and she gave me a blank look.

I then decided I better stay with her until another adult showed up, or until she could lead me to her apartment. Then I asked her, "Did your mommy tell you not to speak to strangers?" She shook her head yes. I asked her, "Do you know who I am?" She shook her head no. That was so frightening. During this time, I had my car running, and no one was around. I could have easily grabbed the girl, put her in the car, locked the doors, and drove off. No one would ever know what happened to her. I sat out there for more than 30 minutes, and not one adult, not a relative, not a neighbor, no one came out and questioned who I was.

Finally, a car drove up and the little girl said, "Mommy!" I walked over to the car, and told the woman what happened. She said, "Oh, everything is OK. My husband is inside the apartment but he's watching her from a window." Yeah, right. :roll: If he was really watching her, he would have run outside to find out who I was, and why I was talking to his daughter. (I forgot to mention that the way my car was parked, it was between the girl and the building, so someone looking out the window could not "watch" or even see the girl.) I emphasized to the woman that I had been there over 30 minutes and no one came outside. I constantly checked my car clock, so I knew the time. She kept saying, "Oh, he was watching her; she was fine." Then they walked away, into their apartment (which was down a passageway, not even facing the parking lot).

And, as I have stated prior, a parent who allows a child of this age toplay outside an apartment building unsupervised is negligent.

Remarkable.

It is possible, on the flip side, that the girl was told (or picked up) different signs? My mother taught me different signs other than the most popular "don't talk to strangers" format. They were very specific and, to mine own experience, have experienced everything proper.

A mother lying (or blind in loveness) is, rather, disenchanting.

Scary. :shock:

Also don't forget, sometimes it's worth to talk to a stranger, too, like you :)

And, as I have stated prior, a parent who allows a child of this age toplay outside an apartment building unsupervised is negligent.

A parent who allows a child this young to play outside unsupervised should be charged with child endangerment or child neglect. CPS should have been called. If I were Reba I would have called CPS right away.

When I was in my first year of college, I was riding the city bus to school. On the way to school, I saw a 2-year-old child and a 3-year-old child playing on the island in the middle of a busy street. No adult were around. I would have called CPS but I didn't have a cell phone or Sidekick with me, and I didn't know the area well enough to know the address/street to give to the CPS (I had just moved to that city). I was shocked! The children were also dirty. I hope someone called the CPS, though. They could have been abducted, or gotten hurt. :eek3: This happened in Saint Cloud, Minnesota in 2001.

Yes that´s right, Jillio ...

Yes, I would do the same when I were Reba, Lucia.

Reba, it´s irresponsiblity to leave a little girl alone. The parents must have known that a little girl can´t defend herself against a stranger when a stranger go to her or take her to car...

I quote some part of your story.

I said, "Honey, where's your mommy?" She looked at me confused. I said, "Is Daddy or Mommy here?" She shook her head no. I asked if she lived in the apartments. She shook her head yes. I asked if she knew the apartment number, and she gave me a blank look.

It look like that the parents do not educate a girl enough to know apartment number but just tell her to not talk a stranger?

Then I asked her, "Did your mommy tell you not to speak to strangers?" She shook her head yes. I asked her, "Do you know who I am?" She shook her head no. That was so frightening.

She should RUN but she is helpless and don´t know which apartment, she should go to because she don´t know apartment number. It shows parental negligent.

During this time, I had my car running, and no one was around. I could have easily grabbed the girl, put her in the car, locked the doors, and drove off.

Yes, it shows parental negligent because they must have known that a little girl CAN´T defend herself against a stranger which is too easy for a stranger to kidnap her.

:eek3: Yes, he should RUN straight way if he saw you talked to her daughter... Again, it shows parental negligence!

Many children know what is about but your story about a little girl belongs parental negligence because they leave a girl alone without supersivon.

You know what I think?

Watching your child play outside the apartment building while you are watching from a window, is not good enough. If it was my child, and if she or he wanted to go play outside, I would physically go outside with the child and watch him or her play while I sat on the steps or sat on a bench at the playground or something. That way, if a stranger approaches my child, I would be right there to intervene immediately. If you're watching from a window, there is that space of time between when you see the event occuring outside and when you run outside the apartment building and arrive to intervene. It could take about 2 to 5 minutes (depending on how far it is from your apartment to the outside of the building doors to either the front or the back outside area), and that is just enough time for a bad stranger to snatch the child and drive away! That is SCARY! And, many parents doesn't always pay attention when they are "watching" from a window, such as they are washing dishes or doing house chores, and looking out the window from time to time to check on their children (which gives a bad stranger a window of time in which they could snatch the child away), or just plain not really paying attention.

Yes, that´s right, Lucia.

A little girl was very lucky to meet a good stranger... what if bad Stranger??? :Ohno:

A parent who allows a child this young to play outside unsupervised should be charged with child endangerment or child neglect. CPS should have been called. If I were Reba I would have called CPS right away.

When I was in my first year of college, I was riding the city bus to school. On the way to school, I saw a 2-year-old child and a 3-year-old child playing on the island in the middle of a busy street. No adult were around. I would have called CPS but I didn't have a cell phone or Sidekick with me, and I didn't know the area well enough to know the address/street to give to the CPS (I had just moved to that city). I was shocked! The children were also dirty. I hope someone called the CPS, though. They could have been abducted, or gotten hurt. :eek3: This happened in Saint Cloud, Minnesota in 2001.

I agree. And parents who are neglectful enough to leave young children unsupervised and in dangerous situations certainly aren't going to be taking the time to teach them about personal safety.

You know what I think?

Watching your child play outside the apartment building while you are watching from a window, is not good enough. If it was my child, and if she or he wanted to go play outside, I would physically go outside with the child and watch him or her play while I sat on the steps or sat on a bench at the playground or something. That way, if a stranger approaches my child, I would be right there to intervene immediately. If you're watching from a window, there is that space of time between when you see the event occuring outside and when you run outside the apartment building and arrive to intervene. It could take about 2 to 5 minutes (depending on how far it is from your apartment to the outside of the building doors to either the front or the back outside area), and that is just enough time for a bad stranger to snatch the child and drive away! That is SCARY! And, many parents doesn't always pay attention when they are "watching" from a window, such as they are washing dishes or doing house chores, and looking out the window from time to time to check on their children (which gives a bad stranger a window of time in which they could snatch the child away), or just plain not really paying attention.

Absolutely! Good post.

Too bad I didn't have a cell phone back then.

And just how would you do that? How would you know you'll have a sidekick with you when you happen to see that 4 years old outside alone? And if you didn't have your sidekick would you just leave and go somewhere else to find help leaving that 4 years old alone would make a differences? I'm sure Reba would have called the police if she had a cellular phone.

Back then there were no Sidekicks, and car phones were rare. Olden days.

Back