roommate drama... ugh

suicidegirl

Reaction score
I could go on and on about how horrible my roommate is... he never buys groceries or basics like toilet paper. but that's not the point...

I just found out this morning that my roommate will not be able to pay for his share of rent and I'm FURIOUS. I don't know what can be done- there's the three of us (four if you count my kid) living there and paying rent. and this is the first time this has happened.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever had experience with roommates not paying for their share or rent? if so, what happened? did you all get evicted?

suicidegirl said:
I could go on and on about how horrible my roommate is... he never buys groceries or basics like toilet paper. but that's not the point...

I just found out this morning that my roommate will not be able to pay for his share of rent and I'm FURIOUS. I don't know what can be done- there's the three of us (four if you count my kid) living there and paying rent. and this is the first time this has happened.

I'm wondering if anyone's ever had experience with roommates not paying for their share or rent? if so, what happened? did you all get evicted?

Unfortunately, I never had experienced living with roomate in apartment or duplex myself. I had roomates only in dorm at college many years ago...

I think your roomate is taking advantages of you guys which it is unfair..How long has he been living with you guys? If short period of time, that tells me he is taking advantages but if long period of time, that tells me that he either is embarrassed that he lost his job or behind reasons that he doesnt want you guys to know? :dunno:

I suggest you to sit down and talk to him without pressure, yelling or angry otherwise he would be defensive and won't express his feelings? :dunno:

I never got evicted - I almost did few months ago and I fought for my rights to keep my hearing dog...so, since my lawyer passed away about two months ago...the landlord and staff members are trying to find a way to get rid of me and my dog...SAD! They are just mean evil people Ive ever met! I don't understand them at all..I mean I lived here for almost 5 years and sigh..I dont know whats going on in their minds..but God only knows...:)

Yea I kicked my roommate out cuz not paying the share of the bills. If I was you I would go to courthouse and ask them what it the proper way to evicted your roommate so that you wont lose this situation or get into more problem later down the line. Also make sure you have the lease aggressment paper if you did draw up before he moved into your house. If you did then that great then that would help you to win the case in court. If not then you are stuck. It happened to me and I lost my case. Good luck

I haven't had a roommate in over 30 years but our main problem was she was not as "clean" as I was about our room and her laundry. I was always stuck making sure our room passed weekly inspection. At least that was only one year.

In your situation, I would think that eviction depends on what your rental agreement states, and who actually signed it.

Is your roommate's name on the lease? If so, speak to your landlord and see if he can be evicted.

If his name isn't on the lease, you could get into trouble for having him living with you while his name is not on the lease, and he could be treprassed. Be careful about calling the police if you call the police to have him kicked out...sometimes police likes to get the management/landlord involved, and you could either get evicted or the landlord/management won't want to renew your lease again.

I am SO glad I do not have a roommate! :hyper:

Yeah, I had a REALLY bad experience with my ex roommate more than a year ago.

She invited people to come live with us and she NEVER asked if it was ok with me. Hello, common courtesy? I objected but she didn't listen. Then she left town for like two months, and those squatters made my life a living hell. They made me very physically sick! I was in the hospital a couple of times, and they were very mean to me. I was so sick that I couldn't really do anything, I had no energy at all. They played a VERY cruel prank on me on New Year's Eve. Wanna know what they did to me? They called the police on me and told the police that I was committing suicide which I NEVER DID! I didn't even say anything! So, I spent the whole damn night in the ER. Luckily the psychologist on call who came to see me the next morning in the ER believed me and let me go. I WAS SO MAD! :hyper: So I came home and I was determined to kick those two assholes out for good myself, but they called the police on me and I was afraid the hospital would hold me indefinitely so I had to disappear for a while. Then I called my ex roommate at her parents' house and told her to kick those assholes out. After numerous calls and arguing, she finally kicked them out.

But guess what? When she came back from her vacation, she let those two assholes come back to live with us again. Of course I objected again. From there it went downhill real fast. They turned my ex roommate against me and actually got her to get a restraining order to kick me out.

All this...and I did NOTHING to her....now I can never trust her again...I have not spoken to her for over a year. I never want to speak to her again.

he's been living with us since we moved here and yes, I do feel like he's taking advantage of us. I mean, he takes a lot of things for granted. he works parttime and barely makes enough $ for rent. I guess it came back to bite him in the rear end.... I just wish it didn't affect me.

and yes, his name is on the lease. the landlord is coming tomorrow and I guess I'l talk to him and see what can be done. I'm just concerned that it'd affect ME when I move out and they need references.

everyone, thanks for the advice/support. I really apprecicate it.

LuciaDisturbed said:

She invited people to come live with us and she NEVER asked if it was ok with me. Hello, common courtesy? I objected but she didn't listen. Then she left town for like two months, and those squatters made my life a living hell. They made me very physically sick! I was in the hospital a couple of times, and they were very mean to me. I was so sick that I couldn't really do anything, I had no energy at all. They played a VERY cruel prank on me on New Year's Eve. Wanna know what they did to me? They called the police on me and told the police that I was committing suicide which I NEVER DID! I didn't even say anything! So, I spent the whole damn night in the ER. Luckily the psychologist on call who came to see me the next morning in the ER believed me and let me go. I WAS SO MAD! :hyper: So I came home and I was determined to kick those two assholes out for good myself, but they called the police on me and I was afraid the hospital would hold me indefinitely so I had to disappear for a while. Then I called my ex roommate at her parents' house and told her to kick those assholes out. After numerous calls and arguing, she finally kicked them out.

But guess what? When she came back from her vacation, she let those two assholes come back to live with us again. Of course I objected again. From there it went downhill real fast. They turned my ex roommate against me and actually got her to get a restraining order to kick me out.

All this...and I did NOTHING to her....now I can never trust her again...I have not spoken to her for over a year. I never want to speak to her again.

this made my jaw drop! how horrible... she shouldn't be able to get away with that kind of stuff. I don't blame you for cutting all ties with her, really. she doesn't sound like a very good person.

suicidegirl said:
he's been living with us since we moved here and yes, I do feel like he's taking advantage of us. I mean, he takes a lot of things for granted. he works parttime and barely makes enough $ for rent. I guess it came back to bite him in the rear end.... I just wish it didn't affect me.

and yes, his name is on the lease. the landlord is coming tomorrow and I guess I'l talk to him and see what can be done. I'm just concerned that it'd affect ME when I move out and they need references.

everyone, thanks for the advice/support. I really apprecicate it.

Well if your landlord is willing to evict him but allow you to stay and if he understands the situation, then you shouldn't have a problem when you move out and need references, as long as you are still able to pay your rent and the part that your roommate was supposed to pay. As long as the entire rent is covered, it should be ok.

suicidegirl said:
this made my jaw drop! how horrible... she shouldn't be able to get away with that kind of stuff. I don't blame you for cutting all ties with her, really. she doesn't sound like a very good person.

Yeah, I am still pretty angry about it, to this day. >.<

Thanks to her, I got completely uprooted and I had to move to my other friend's dad's farm and I was stuck without transportation and it really sucked. I had no where else to go.

The kicker here is that my ex roommate and I were best friends for like 6 years. We were completely tight. I really thought I could trust her. Now I have completely no trust. :(

LuciaDisturbed said:

WOW! Im so sorry to hear what you going thru this terrible tragic experience in your life! Believe me, I understand completely about being *innocent* for restraining order against you! It happened to me back in 2003. 9 deafies filed restraining order against me! I was innocent! One leader deaf person got 8 others involved against me for NO REASON! I was pregnant during at that time..I was raped and got me pregnant...The guy who raped me was one of 8 people..it was HORRIBLE HORRIBLE experienced...If you want to hear my story, feel free to PM me and I can give you my email addy...;) (3 people won and 6 lost their cases - reason why 2 of guys won bec they were my ex relationship and other girl, not the leader - dunno why the judge granted her :roll:)

It was extreemly PAINFUL that I was INNOCENT and its on my record for life...Now, I finally got the answer why I can't get hired for jobs..because of my reputation of restraining order on the record for life! Once your name is on the record...Jobs will not hired you! SUCKS!

That's why Im going to vote for Hilary Clinton as President..She wants to remove our names off the record for job sake! ;)

I agreed with LuciaDisturbed and, I apologize about your situation with your ex roommate too.

I used to living with my ex boyfriend and his roommate(which it was his ex boyfriend too). There was ALOT problems, you can name.. Drugs, argue, relationship, abuse, etc. And, even they put my name on bills- electric, water, etc which I didn't agree with them because I wasn't responible for that since they didn't pay the bills for couple of months or so. And even, they used my money for drugs only, not bills and food. They only paid the rent, and car that's it. But lucky, I told them what happened and they removed my name so I don't have to get bad credit for not paying the bills. I got upset but can't go back to home because of my ex boyfriend, he would hit me if I tell him that I want to go back to home and I was waiting and waiting and waiting until finally, he said that he will drop me off at my house for visiting my family and my sister's graduate, I got excited about it and got at my house, I told my parents that Im living with them no matter what it is. Until, my good friend told me that landlord kicked my ex boyfriend and his roommate out of the trailer and I told my dad to pick my stuffs now and we went there to picking them up and few of my friends helped me and got back to my home, peace BUT my ex boyfriend is still looking for me :ugh: fuck him...

Right now, I'm living with my new roommate for almost 5 months :giggle: that's my boyfriend, Seuqoias which he's best than my ex boyfriend, I lived with him for between of 3 to 4 months that's it. WHEW! Sequoias is alot better, honestly... ;)

Sweetheart said:
And, even they put my name on bills- electric, water, etc which I didn't agree with them because I wasn't responible for that since they didn't pay the bills for couple of months or so. And even, they used my money for drugs only, not bills and food. They only paid the rent, and car that's it. But lucky, I told them what happened and they removed my name so I don't have to get bad credit for not paying the bills.

Right now, I'm living with my new roommate for almost 5 months :giggle: that's my boyfriend, Seuqoias which he's best than my ex boyfriend, I lived with him for between of 3 to 4 months that's it. WHEW! Sequoias is alot better, honestly... ;)

Yeah, I am SO glad I never got around to putting my name on all the utility bills when I moved in with my ex roommate. I was going to, then the 2 people she invited to live with us treated me like shit and everything. She and the assholes took advantage of me big time. I had to pay for all the damn gas for car, I paid for their cat food, pet food, I paid for all the damn food because they always eat MY food, and they made my ex roommate pay for all of their cigarettes, etc....I told her to tell them no, I told them I should not have to pay. I had no choice but to pay for food because they ate all of my food...I can't lock up my food because there is no room to lock it up. If I don't buy food I will go hungry anyway. I got tired of that....then after my ex roommate kicked me out with the restraining order, I refused to pay the bills because they took advantage of me already so why should I pay for them? My name weren't on the bills either.

I had 2 more months left on my lease when I was served with the restraining order, so I refused to pay rent for those 2 months....landlord ended up charging my ex-roommate for it because she know that my ex roommate was wrong and I was right. Besides, why should I pay for the 2 months I did not get to live there? I did nothing wrong. She was the one who is wrong, so she gets to pay for it.

So, now my ex roommate is responsible for all the bills and the rent because it is her fault. I refuse to pay for anything, it is all on her. It's her problem now. She has bad credit now. Serves her right.

Sweetheart, I am glad you have a wonderful boyfriend now...he sounds real sweet. :)

I have a bad experience with my ex roommate also. It's not as bad as what some of you posted, though. He was my worst roommate I've ever had so far I know.

When he moved in with me, he wasn't a great roommate. He mostly goes out to hang out with his gay friends and he never invites me to his friend parties, leaves me behind most of the time. He also doesn't help me with the bills most of the time. He doesn't help clean this place much, because he goes out with friends a lot. He acts spoiled and thinks he owns the place which he doesn't. I am the head of this apartment unit. He also sits around and doesn't get a job, but he finally got a job in 1 year after sitting around because someone told him there's job opening which he didn't go out and look for jobs and wait for someone to let him know about jobs. I'm glad he doesn't live with me anymore. He was my best friend for a long time, but doesn't look like it anymore...because he hangs out with gay people most of the time. Have you ever heard of a group of gay people that don't really social with straight people. I find it odd there.

Usually, that depends on who's on the lease. If you are the only (primary) person on the lease, then you could probably have your roommate kicked out. If you and your roommate are on the lease, then you may have to talk to your landlord and explain to him/her that your roommate doesn't have the money to pay rent and maybe your landlord can figure something out. If your name isn't on the lease, but your roommate's name is... then you've got a problem.

When you have a roomate the keyword is communication. I'm always tight on a budget but because of my date/roomate, my budget is starting to look good..i stopped smoking and bought a van and i am STILL tight on a budget dam LOL.

If money situation is a problem,talk about it find a solution. One time i ran into a snag and talked to her about it then the problem was solved within a week :)

SGirl, if your roomate is not willing to bust his ass to share with the rent/bills and wtfever...he needs to go. If hes not willing to communicate and try to resolve the problem, kick his ass out hes not worth wasting your time. If he wants to fuck around he has to do it at his own time. Hope you find a better roomate soon.cos id kick him to the curb VERY soon. Good luck :)

LuciaDisturbed said:
Yeah, I am SO glad I never got around to putting my name on all the utility bills when I moved in with my ex roommate. I was going to, then the 2 people she invited to live with us treated me like shit and everything. She and the assholes took advantage of me big time. I had to pay for all the damn gas for car, I paid for their cat food, pet food, I paid for all the damn food because they always eat MY food, and they made my ex roommate pay for all of their cigarettes, etc....I told her to tell them no, I told them I should not have to pay. I had no choice but to pay for food because they ate all of my food...I can't lock up my food because there is no room to lock it up. If I don't buy food I will go hungry anyway. I got tired of that....then after my ex roommate kicked me out with the restraining order, I refused to pay the bills because they took advantage of me already so why should I pay for them? My name weren't on the bills either.

I had 2 more months left on my lease when I was served with the restraining order, so I refused to pay rent for those 2 months....landlord ended up charging my ex-roommate for it because she know that my ex roommate was wrong and I was right. Besides, why should I pay for the 2 months I did not get to live there? I did nothing wrong. She was the one who is wrong, so she gets to pay for it.

So, now my ex roommate is responsible for all the bills and the rent because it is her fault. I refuse to pay for anything, it is all on her. It's her problem now. She has bad credit now. Serves her right.

Sweetheart, I am glad you have a wonderful boyfriend now...he sounds real sweet. :)

You are lucky that your ex roommate is resondible for whole of the bills and rent, not yours! WHEW!

Thank you! ;)

sequoias said:
I have a bad experience with my ex roommate also. It's not as bad as what some of you posted, though. He was my worst roommate I've ever had so far I know.

When he moved in with me, he wasn't a great roommate. He mostly goes out to hang out with his gay friends and he never invites me to his friend parties, leaves me behind most of the time. He also doesn't help me with the bills most of the time. He doesn't help clean this place much, because he goes out with friends a lot. He acts spoiled and thinks he owns the place which he doesn't. I am the head of this apartment unit. He also sits around and doesn't get a job, but he finally got a job in 1 year after sitting around because someone told him there's job opening which he didn't go out and look for jobs and wait for someone to let him know about jobs. I'm glad he doesn't live with me anymore. He was my best friend for a long time, but doesn't look like it anymore...because he hangs out with gay people most of the time. Have you ever heard of a group of gay people that don't really social with straight people. I find it odd there.

Thank god that he's not still here with us ;)

I agreed with you, I find it odd there about, "Have you ever heard of a group of gay people that don't really social with straight people."

Now due to my bad experiences with my ex roommate and my ex in the past, I am afraid to have any person live with me again. :(

Back