Pretend to be Deaf

Opal

Reaction score
A Canadian hearing man who works on a program for the Deaf, signs fluenty that he is often mistaken for a Deaf person. At a party he met up with a Deaf woman and they were chatting amicably, getting along very well. Suddenly a stranger came up and asked for the time of the day to which the hearing man replied vocally. The Deaf woman upset, threw her drink in his face, accusing him of play-acting deaf and said he should have told her right away that he was hearing. The hearing man said "I was not playing Deaf, you never asked if I was hearing and I never asked if you were hearing." Fortunately the hearing man eventually married a different Deaf woman and the marriage is working very well.

copyright BDN 3/2003.

I wonder if it has happen to any of you before?

I have met alot of people at a Party before some hearing some Deaf.. and I Will always asked if he or she is hearing or deaf... Then I'll know.. I don't think he was playing deaf either cuz like he said She didn't asked him if he was deaf or hearing...

Cheri said:
I have met alot of people at a Party before some hearing some Deaf.. and I Will always asked if he or she is hearing or deaf... Then I'll know.. I don't think he was playing deaf either cuz like he said She didn't asked him if he was deaf or hearing...
i agree with you.. i always ask if they're deaf or hearing.. if i notice they're signing fluenty.. then i assume they're deaf.. but i always make sure by asking them..

Yes, I met the gal in Tucson, AZ. She fluents in ASL, working at ASDB while attending UA at that time. I thought she was Deaf, but learning she is really Hearing!! Geez. Sometimes, I often get mistakes, noticing hearing people are fluent in ASL. SMH. I have to ask them if they are Deaf or Hearing.

Yes, it shows this deaf woman's fault for not asking him a question in first place, and its sad to see she threw a drink at him!! (Glad he didn't choose to marry her! :rifle:

Yes, I always asked new people at Deaf Club if they are deaf, where he/she comes from, and which deaf schools they attend to as Great Britain is very small island, (Because in circle of friends we might know our friends in deaf world). Some hearing people are very good in sign language like deaf person.

My hearing husband always tells me if one of strangers is hearing because of the voice!!!

I've had something similar happen to me before. I met this guy who was deaf. We began signing for a while. He began talking about "deaf power" and "deaf pride". After a while, some hearing guy approached me asking me if I wanted to fill out a survey. I asked the deaf guy if he wanted to do the survey. He said, "no". I then replied to the hearing guy with my voice. The deaf guy gave me this expression as if he felt offended because I was a mock-hearing.

VamPyroX said:
I've had something similar happen to me before. I met this guy who was deaf. We began signing for a while. He began talking about "deaf power" and "deaf pride". After a while, some hearing guy approached me asking me if I wanted to fill out a survey. I asked the deaf guy if he wanted to do the survey. He said, "no". I then replied to the hearing guy with my voice. The deaf guy gave me this expression as if he felt offended because I was a mock-hearing.

Hahaha Are you a hearin' ? lol

Really, I didn't know you Vampyrox is HEARING :jaw: !!!

I wonder how many people here are hearing?!! :Oops:

No, I'm not hearing. I'm deaf, but can speak orally like a hearing person.

A lot of deaf people think that I am hearing. :shrugs:
I am 100% Deaf and proud of it.

A lot of deaf people give me attitude cuz I can talk and they said I look hearing even though I am just standing there with my mouth closed....... I am like huh lol.............. people are like no i am lying I am not deaf but hearing people definitely believe me but they think I am a little bit deaf it is so weird...... I feel like i should have my audiogram as a necklace for proof lol

VamPyroX said:
*pours water on you* Wake up! What did I do wrong? :dunno:

*Gasp...openin' my eyes slowly* I always thought you were hearin'. Psst... check in other thread that I granted your wish... :D

BabyPhat21 said:
A lot of deaf people give me attitude cuz I can talk and they said I look hearing even though I am just standing there with my mouth closed....... I am like huh lol.............. people are like no i am lying I am not deaf but hearing people definitely believe me but they think I am a little bit deaf it is so weird...... I feel like i should have my audiogram as a necklace for proof lol

I don't get that either! The only physical difference between hearing/Deaf people is within your ears, so how can one LOOK Deaf or hearing?

A lot of people in the Deaf world thought I was hearing... and they were usually shocked when I said "no, I am Deaf" and sometimes I get the comment that there was no way that I could be Deaf, I'm too beautiful... I go "What?!? There are beautiful Deaf people... geez" (annoyed)

In the hearng world, people think I'm foreign. Yeah I tell them that I'm French or British and they'll believe me. Haha.

But if I'm with someone I really like.. I'll tell them the truth. :D

Sweet_KJ said:
A lot of people in the Deaf world thought I was hearing... and they were usually shocked when I said "no, I am Deaf" and sometimes I get the comment that there was no way that I could be Deaf, I'm too beautiful... I go "What?!? There are beautiful Deaf people... geez" (annoyed)

Uh, :wtf: Deaf people can’t be physically attractive? Anybody who says that must be deaf and blind. One look at the member picture thread proves that. Obviously, I’m not much of a judge of men but I’ve never seen an unattractive woman on this message board. You are drop dead beautiful, KJ—and so are dozens of women on this board. And so are dozens of other Deaf women that I know. Actually, I think Deaf people as a whole are more attractive than hearing people. There’s something about their personality structures that causes them to carry themselves differently and accentuates their facial features.

Fine.. I'll say it..

Sometimes, when I meet new Deaf people or ASL students, they would assume others would be Deaf or hearing. So, I would sometimes pretend to be hearing to confuse the Hell out of them, then tell them it is not a good idea to assume someone is Deaf/hearing right away!

Back