Pretend to be Deaf

It happen to me before but little different.

- When I went to Deaf community for job interview long time ago. I met a lady who are very good ASL. When we were in a her office, started interviewed. In few mintues later, I saw her to pick up the phone and talked. I was surpising that I didn't aware about she is hearing lady. I assumed she is deaf but I was wrong. When she hung up the phone. I explained her about my surpise. She asked if I am Deaf. We were laughing. Nice lady.

- In other day, I went to other Deaf community. When I got in a room, I felt that not know where is begining. A lady offered to help. I told her something I need some informations or some details. I noticed her sign are not really good. I asked her if she is hearing. She asked me if I am Deaf. We laffed. She apolozied for her bad signing lanauge. I explained her to not worry about that and keep practice.
Funny, I asked her if she is hearing, she asked me if I am Deaf!!!

- Long time ago, I was crushed a lady who are good ASL and funny lady in a social party. We talked something for hours about her life and my life. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. I started like her and I was thinking about asking her for date. Somehow someone screamed and she turned around. I thought she is wearing hearing aid but no hearing aid on her ears!!! I asked if she is hearing. She nodded. I felt butterfly in my stomach bevz we talked about anything Deaf's stories, Deaf humors, Deaf's myths. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. When I asked her for date but she said she seeing someone. :sadwave:

Oh Well, that's life! Next time If I meet someone, I can ask, "Are you blind?" LOL

Last edited:
RedRum said:
Yes, it shows this deaf woman's fault for not asking him a question in first place, and its sad to see she threw a drink at him!! (Glad he didn't choose to marry her! :rifle:

Yes, I always asked new people at Deaf Club if they are deaf, where he/she comes from, and which deaf schools they attend to as Great Britain is very small island, (Because in circle of friends we might know our friends in deaf world). Some hearing people are very good in sign language like deaf person.

My hearing husband always tells me if one of strangers is hearing because of the voice!!!

Hi there, RR! :) I must agree with what your husband told you -- I've been told that it can be detected and know who is deaf and who's not...by their voice tones and 'accent'. I was told by a few hearing people that they sensed that I was deaf due to my 'deaf accent'. It's not a bad case, though -- despite the fact that I speak pretty well and some hearing people occassionally 'forget' that I'm actually deaf. I guess it's just how most deaf people pronunce or vocalise a word. Do you reckon?

I do ask new people I meet whether they're hearing or deaf (at deaf clubs, of course). :mrgreen:

Saline Eyes said:
I don't get that either! The only physical difference between hearing/Deaf people is within your ears, so how can one LOOK Deaf or hearing?
I have no idea, but I asked some Deaf experts, they said it could be the way i dress. Most deaf people dress plain not to distract from the sign but I wear flashy/uniquely designed clothes that is very distracting....... also I wear bracelets and some people said it is the way my eyes look....... I look around I dont just focus on the person and some said it is because i cross my arms alot oh well.....but as KJ said..........some people said i was too pretty to be deaf........I wasnt sure if that was a compliment lol.......

"Too pretty to be deaf"—that makes a lot of sense. :roll: I suppose Marlee Matlin and Shoshanna Stern are also "too pretty to be deaf"?

Levonian said:
Uh, :wtf: Deaf people can’t be physically attractive? Anybody who says that must be deaf and blind. One look at the member picture thread proves that. Obviously, I’m not much of a judge of men but I’ve never seen an unattractive woman on this message board. You are drop dead beautiful, KJ—and so are dozens of women on this board. And so are dozens of other Deaf women that I know. Actually, I think Deaf people as a whole are more attractive than hearing people. There’s something about their personality structures that causes them to carry themselves differently and accentuates their facial features.

YUP, exactly my point... I was going "WTF?? How rude of you to say that" (to whoever gave me that comment) Perhaps I hear that from some individuals who have lower self-esteem or are shy to say that.... I notice that a lot of people are very comfortable telling me things because, naturally, I'm very easy going, and a lot of people have commented that I'm really easy to talk to/have a conversation with.

Anyway, I totally agree with you, Levonian! (and thanks for your compliments too lol)

I know what you mean!! I remember one Deafie's comment was: "Oh!! *gasp!* You think I am too pretty to be Deaf?!?! Well, obviously I am to ugly to be hearing!" Heh!

One time, When I was chatt'n with my friend at the cafe. Somehow the lady was staring us for alikely more than 10 minutes. I felt uncomfortable.. so I kept contuines chatt'n with my friend.. Later on, The lady came to us and r u Deaf? We saying, Yeah, we are.. The lady said.. Oh, as same me too I'm Deaf. In my mind, wtf, why you kept staring us.. for no reason.. Mind their business..

Other place, I was hanging around with my husband during in the shopping.. The guy saw us and apporched asking nice prompty, R u Deaf? We say yes, we are. The guy said oh great then sign languages and little chatt'n.. We never knew about that guy totally "Deaf". Few minutes later, He say bye to us.. In my mind, say wait minutes.. Is he Deaf? I run and poked his shoulder.. R u Deaf also ? He laughed at me, *shake his head* says no.. I'm hearing. My husband shocked.. how r you sign langauges so smooth alikely DEAF's type? He replied, ah, that good quesiton.. I born raised with my Deaf Parents. That how we becomed new friends. ((chuckles)) Pretty funny but just wanted to making sure they are..

Also, I was told by a hearing guy. he notied some deafies have more younger than hearing people are in same age group like 20's, 30's, 40's, etc.... i told him because of deafies depend on face expresssion mostly to keep face execrise alot. While hearing ppl don't!

Sometime, Deaf stranger thought i am hearing cuz of not show face expression at begin. Tend myself shyness or not open heart too fast when meet strangers before making friend.

My parents can be embarassing when it comes to seeing other people that they think are deaf. One time, I was at the mall having lunch and minding my own business with my family. My dad looked over and saw a couple signing to each other at another table. My dad was like, "Oh, look... there's deaf people!" I told him, "So?" He then got up and walked over to that table and told them, "Hi, you deaf? Well, guess what... my son is deaf too! He's sitting over there! *pointing at me*" Ugh! How embarassing! :Oops:

VamPyroX said:
My parents can be embarassing when it comes to seeing other people that they think are deaf. One time, I was at the mall having lunch and minding my own business with my family. My dad looked over and saw a couple signing to each other at another table. My dad was like, "Oh, look... there's deaf people!" I told him, "So?" He then got up and walked over to that table and told them, "Hi, you deaf? Well, guess what... my son is deaf too! He's sitting over there! *pointing at me*" Ugh! How embarassing! :Oops:

Does your parents know sign language ? I am just curious ...

CyberRed said:
Does your parents know sign language ? I am just curious ...
They know very little. What my dad did was point at the deaf couple then pointing at his ear... "Are you deaf?" He then smiled and pointed at me while saying, "My son's deaf too!" After that, that deaf couple just looked at him weirdly. My dad walked away and I caught them signing, "What a weird guy? Who the hell does this guy think he is?" Argh!

VamPyroX said:
They know very little. What my dad did was point at the deaf couple then pointing at his ear... "Are you deaf?" He then smiled and pointed at me while saying, "My son's deaf too!" After that, that deaf couple just looked at him weirdly. My dad walked away and I caught them signing, "What a weird guy? Who the hell does this guy think he is?" Argh!

Aww.. lol ! But, you get used to it right ? *laughin'* My 2 oldest siblings know only in fingerspellin'. I wish my parents could learn sign language from long time ago when I first learned sign language at the age of 8. But, oh well ! *Shrugs*

Sweet_KJ said:
A lot of people in the Deaf world thought I was hearing... and they were usually shocked when I said "no, I am Deaf" and sometimes I get the comment that there was no way that I could be Deaf, I'm too beautiful... I go "What?!? There are beautiful Deaf people... geez" (annoyed)

In the hearng world, people think I'm foreign. Yeah I tell them that I'm French or British and they'll believe me. Haha.

But if I'm with someone I really like.. I'll tell them the truth. :D

LOL... I get the same thing, girly.... I do.... sometimes I'll answer I'm from Spain. Once, in res school, when some older deaf kids saw my dad.... they thought I was adopted. It's scary to know there is naive people out there.

How about the old one when people think you're too smart to be a deaf person, too? LOL.. that's a classic, huh?

VamPyroX said:

Poor Vamp...
Made me lauff'n so hard~:rofl:

Liza said:
How about the old one when people think you're too smart to be a deaf person, too? LOL.. that's a classic, huh?

Oh yeah that's another classic! lol

VamPyroX said:

If my dad in your dad's shoe, oh man, I might disappear quickly!!

Vamp, next time your dad does that to you - announce that the doctor took him off his meds today.

I got a better idea! If that happened to me, i would, while shrugging my shoulders, i would say "I dont know that man/woman!" and then walk away!
:laugh2:

Back