Postal Office

:-o That much money an hour?! I am going to study(test) for post office postion. I want that type of money an hour that is more than what I am making working for my Dad! :smoking:

Yeah, I did hear that they pay good. It's lame to go to college if you can go to PO and get a higher paying job compared to something lower with a 2 years degree. LOL, but that depends on what you like or whatever! I know my mother wouldn't do this because she just doesn't go for these types of jobs that requires no degree! LOL. My youngest uncle did not finish college, so he works as a postal worker. If you are barely making it or struggling to make ends meet, then definitely go for this job! :D

Roam4Life said:
Really? Why don't you try and contact an agency to find an interpreter on your own and have the PO pay for the interpreting expense??

They do provide the interpters, they are very strict about this one. Some reason they called me few days before interview and cancel because the interpter never return a call. And they will call me back with new appointment with interpter. Haven't heard from them since then. I will go apply again in next county with different P.O.

I'm pretty much open to any position. But the exam I am taking is for Rural Carrier. You have to take different exams for different positions? I am still pretty new to this.

Yes, this test you're taking is number 410 ( or 450? i do not rememebr) which it is non-career job. I will apply battery test number 710 ( If I am right with the number) for city mail carrier when they open up the date. U can find them here on website in your state and tell u exactly which number and the tests are for.

Yes, I will have an interpreter for the exam. But I still haven't heard from this lady if she have found one. The exam is next week on 29th, :-/
I showed up for the test, not knowing if they had an interpter for me or not but they did. Whew.

Did you have any strageties you used for the exam? What about that Memory section (A,B,C,D,&E)??

Memory section, I memorized first two numbers of the houses and first two letters of the streets. Then memorized same number and street from A-E, each column has order, for instance find the same numbers and street across from top A to the bottom of E alike a across. Look for the pattern alike M or V something like that.Umm I will have to look at them again and try to remember how I did it. Honestly I did not finish the first two part of tests but did very well on last two part of tests.

jazzy

jazzy said:
Roam4Life said:
Really? Why don't you try and contact an agency to find an interpreter on your own and have the PO pay for the interpreting expense??

They do provide the interpters, they are very strict about this one. Some reason they called me few days before interview and cancel because the interpter never return a call. And they will call me back with new appointment with interpter. Haven't heard from them since then. I will go apply again in next county with different P.O.

I'm pretty much open to any position. But the exam I am taking is for Rural Carrier. You have to take different exams for different positions? I am still pretty new to this.

Yes, this test you're taking is number 410 ( or 450? i do not rememebr) which it is non-career job. I will apply battery test number 710 ( If I am right with the number) for city mail carrier when they open up the date. U can find them here on website in your state and tell u exactly which number and the tests are for.

Yes, I will have an interpreter for the exam. But I still haven't heard from this lady if she have found one. The exam is next week on 29th, :-/
I showed up for the test, not knowing if they had an interpter for me or not but they did. Whew.

Did you have any strageties you used for the exam? What about that Memory section (A,B,C,D,&E)??

Memory section, I memorized first two numbers of the houses and first two letters of the streets. Then memorized same number and street from A-E, each column has order, for instance find the same numbers and street across from top A to the bottom of E alike a across. Look for the pattern alike M or V something like that.Umm I will have to look at them again and try to remember how I did it. Honestly I did not finish the first two part of tests but did very well on last two part of tests.

jazzy

Yes, This battery exam is 460 & 470. RCA is a non-carrer job but you still can be promoted if you stay in that position. I will get more detailed information when I take my exam this Friday.
Thanks for the tip on that Memory section. :)
I finally heard from that lady about whereabouts my exam will be held at and hopefully an interpreter will be there!

Roadrunner said:
I have worked at the Post Office back in Iowa for a couple of years as a mail-handler...I have taken the test and the important thing to consider while taking the test is being able to distinguish between different words or numbers, in other words, being able to read well. There are 'regulars' which the pay is high along with having great benefits, they don't work weekends and are not required to work holidays, then there are 'PTF's', the pay is almost similiar to the regulars' pay and most 'PTF's' generally also have certain benefits, but they do work weekends and holidays when posted to do so, then there are 'TE's', the pay is lower than the above two levels, required to work any specific days such as weekends and holidays, lastly, then there are 'casuals', the pay is the lowest of all the levels mentioned, yet still considered several dollars above the min. wage and required to work weekends and all holidays, and having a certain time assignment such as for only 6 months and two years assignments, meaning once the allotted time is up, they are out and new recruits take their place.
The one issue that I found to be true in a Postal work place is the 'high' volume of unneccessary stress...The United States Postal Service had one of the highest percentage for suicide, murder, domestic crimes, etc., but I tend to believe since the new Postal General took over awhile ago, this perhaps has gone down somewhat, although, in the Post Office where I worked at, there were two cases of two workers in my section that took their lives...it's always sad to see something like this happening, yet, I can see the 'why' of it or for it taking place...but I'm not in any position to discourage anyone from working at a Post Office, I'm sure each area is different and am confident that there have been great strides and improvements in the workplace that have been made...No way am I cutting down the 'image' of the U.S. Postal Service, there are a great deal of many good quality workers that do provide excellent services for all customers! Also, the penalties are severe if someone is caught 'pocketing' money from letters, cards, gifts, etc...one man was given up to 10 years confinement in prison for stealing 'one dollar' from a card....if you do your job right and in a timely fashion, then you shouldn't have any problem working in a Post Office or being a Mail Carrier!! ;)

Thanks for the information! :)

Cheri said:
:-o That much money an hour?! I am going to study(test) for post office postion. I want that type of money an hour that is more than what I am making working for my Dad! :smoking:

Shocking, huh? Ha ha.. yeah.. In Lincoln, in the Advertisement it indicated about PO's salary $17.50/$59 an hour. Give it a shot? :)

Roam4Life said:
Anybody have worked for PO or is working for them right now? If you do, was the Exam easy to go thru? Any advice or tips? I will be taking the Battery Exam in two weeks. Any advices or tips would be helpful!
I worked for the PO as a data conversion operator a while back. My advice would be to study the postal examination book like the ones offered at amazon.com (search for "post office exam") as much as you can. The real postal exams are all about speed and accuracy. The memory part of the exam is a pain in butt while the rest are fairly easy, unless you struggle in english then that's a different story.

When taking the examination, place both the exam and answer sheets next to each other. As you fill in the circles, make sure the pencil point stays inside the last filled circle while you read the next question, then fill in that circle and do over. Timing is everything.

Good luck.

Alex said:
I worked for the PO as a data conversion operator a while back. My advice would be to study the postal examination book like the ones offered at amazon.com (search for "post office exam") as much as you can. The real postal exams are all about speed and accuracy. The memory part of the exam is a pain in butt while the rest are fairly easy, unless you struggle in english then that's a different story.

When taking the examination, place both the exam and answer sheets next to each other. As you fill in the circles, make sure the pencil point stays inside the last filled circle while you read the next question, then fill in that circle and do over. Timing is everything.

Good luck.

Yes, I agree.. Timing is everything. It is all based on speed and accuracy.

Thanks for the luck.

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PISSSED!!!! When I first got my postal exam notification , it was supposed to be held on Oct. 19th. I tried to call this examination admin. office to notify them that I am deaf and I will need an interpreter and a written copy of oral instructions. I kept on struggling to call them because they never answer their phone so like after a week.. I decided to surf on the internet trying to reach someone that could help me with this... I finally got referred to call this exam. office in Lincoln so this lady told me that she have to reschedule the exam to Oct. 29th in Grand Island. (which sucked because the first exam was held here in the same town but now it is 1 hr and 15 min drive)

So, today I was all ready to take the exam in Grand Island.. I got up early in the morning and drove 1 hour and 15 min. I arrived there 30 min early before my examination time was supposed to start. I went downstairs to check out where the exam will be held and saw this small sign on the door that indicated EXAM IN PROGRESS DO NOT DISTRUB. I was a bit puzzled but I thought that it was probably other examination in progress and mine will be next. So, I talked with this lady up front at the information desk and she told me to wait until almost 11am. So, I waited for almost 30 minutes.. and I just felt funny because I see nobody else was waiting for the exam. So, the lady upfront was a bit puzzled so she said I should go ahead and enter the examination room. So, I did...................... GUESS WHAT? It started at 10! My letter said it starts at 11am. I was given the wrong time... I was SOOOOOOO PISSED! I wasted almost half tank of my gas driving there for nothing! So, I came back home and called this lady ... to ask her what is going on. She apologized for giving me incorrect examination time and don't know when she can reschedule me. HOW GREAT!

Roam4Life said:
Anybody have worked for PO or is working for them right now?
I do not work at a Post Office right but, but a couple years ago, I got the info and the study guide book to take a exam for a job at the local PO, but I never went thru it. I am just now considering to do it again. I cannot find the info I had, so I'm going to go back to the PO and request info again, especially with Christmas coming up, it'd probably be a perfec time, to start by being Christmas help then actually start working at the PO after taking the exams.

Roam4Life -- I am sorry to hear this.. You had right to blew at them for nothing. I was made sure I come to exam room with all people and find a trep there.. I went in exam for almost 2 hours! It seems smoothly because I was made SURE everyone go same I go. RME I was little pissed with one post office about lie with my hiring... He said hiring on next monday and I come back find it was not true, he was not there... he was out of town and never information about me hiring... Oh well, I have to eye on them...

I had friend talk with me about it.. Better ways to face the main post office and to get application and handle to them same day. I never did went so I am slow to face them... Oh well

OMG Roam! :( that so totally suck i know! *smh* they should have been more attentive to the date/time/location of the exams :roll: hope u get scheduled once again for a PO exam if u are planning to continuing ur battles with the PO q *huggies*

oh no!!! i would feel the same, sigh..

Isn't this sound "Fishy" when they
gave u the wrong time even though
post office people were supposed
to be accurate most of the times
especially with these letters/numbers, etc..
Then, why or how did she/he give you such
a wrong information ? on a purpose ?

I am sorry it happened to you. I wrote a letter to let them know I needed an interpreter for the test and I drove one hour to the test. The intepreter was there whew then I met a deaf man who was there also. He was supposed to take test a week before me but he never asked for an interpreter so they send him home to come other date. I got a phone call other day and will do interview next week or week after next. So we will see. They will send you another date for the exams. Be patient.

Fly Free said:
OMG Roam! :( that so totally suck i know! *smh* they should have been more attentive to the date/time/location of the exams :roll: hope u get scheduled once again for a PO exam if u are planning to continuing ur battles with the PO q *huggies*

Yes I am waiting to hear from them about my next reschedule exam will be. I hope it won't take forever. I just hope that next time it will go smoothly so I can get it over with. My battle with them is still on. :)

Y said:
oh no!!! i would feel the same, sigh..

Isn't this sound "Fishy" when they
gave u the wrong time even though
post office people were supposed
to be accurate most of the times
especially with these letters/numbers, etc..
Then, why or how did she/he give you such
a wrong information ? on a purpose ?
How ironic! Now you are saying this.. This was what exactly I thought! I felt like they did that on purpose.. On the phone call, I never brought up the issue about them doing it on purpose... in the end of the call, she said.. don't think that it was done on purpose. I just felt like telling her, that's what it seems like!!! But I just said nothing and accepted to wait for next reschedule exam. She should be grateful that I am very accepting and patient person! :-P Just got to hope for the better ...

jazzy said:
I am sorry it happened to you. I wrote a letter to let them know I needed an interpreter for the test and I drove one hour to the test. The intepreter was there whew then I met a deaf man who was there also. He was supposed to take test a week before me but he never asked for an interpreter so they send him home to come other date. I got a phone call other day and will do interview next week or week after next. So we will see. They will send you another date for the exams. Be patient.
What is worse... The interpreter was there waiting for me. I feel bad for that interpreter.. It wasn't my fault for not showing up on time when exam begins.
Good Luck with your interview! :)
Yes, I am waiting to hear about my next reschedule exam. Hope it will be sometime soon..

TweetyBird said:
i worked po before in 97, but i didnt take the test.. so i worked only tempory 3 months for helped ppl for xmas and summer 2 times...
How did you do this? You applied at PO to work as temporary for seasonal job or what?? I would like to know...

Fly Free said:
Y -- u do indeed have a point! *smh* possibly they did it on purpose q
Yeah, that's what it looks like.... Roam4life seem
to handle things in a cool way... even though
she's probably boiling inside even without showing it
to that woman (That's probably the best thing to do)

Back