Postal Office

Roam4Life

Reaction score
Anybody have worked for PO or is working for them right now? If you do, was the Exam easy to go thru? Any advice or tips? I will be taking the Battery Exam in two weeks. Any advices or tips would be helpful!

I already have this study guide book, but still would like to read some advices/tips.

Wish I could be of any help, but I'm sure there will be at least one or more in here who could help you with this.

BTW, good luck on the examination!

i worked po before in 97, but i didnt take the test.. so i worked only tempory 3 months for helped ppl for xmas and summer 2 times...

I did took test for mail carrier... it seems hard than i think.... i was surprises that all deaf get into post office easier but find out they did thru with VR or bulk mailing postitions.... things are interesting, i will try go back one day.... without testing (growling)

MizzDeaf said:
I did took test for mail carrier... it seems hard than i think.... i was surprises that all deaf get into post office easier but find out they did thru with VR or bulk mailing postitions.... things are interesting, i will try go back one day.... without testing (growling)

Did you had a study guide to study before taking the test? Yes, I know several deaf people who got PO job thru VR. But I am not taking the easy way. So hope I'll make it in.

My friend who works for Mailing Carrier, 42 dollars per hour !!! :shock:

Hope u can make it... I wonder what
does these tests look like ? hope someone
can describe what did these test look like....

Sabrina said:

:shock: YEP! PO's salary average is 16 dollars an hour or up. It is really good money and it has all benefits.

Y said:
Hope u can make it... I wonder what
does these tests look like ? hope someone
can describe what did these test look like....

Me too! I hope I can make it in.

Yes, The test has 4 sections. 1- Address Comparison 2- Memory 3- Number Series 4- Oral Instructions. I am pretty much confident in 1, 3, and 4. But for that Memory section, it is pretty tough. It is one of the most difficult part of the Battery Exam. Ahhhhh.....

You can check out on the internet to get some idea of what the exam will look like. Here is one example of Address Comparison http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=81

TweetyBird said:
i worked po before in 97, but i didnt take the test.. so i worked only tempory 3 months for helped ppl for xmas and summer 2 times...

What position did you worked in? And what exactly did you had to do?

cool... thats a good piece of info... thanks
i bet that u will pass it with flying colors :)

p.s. if you can remember or memorize
your boyfriend's name and his birthday date,
then you can make it, ha...

Y said:
cool... thats a good piece of info... thanks
i bet that u will pass it with flying colors :)

p.s. if you can remember or memorize
your boyfriend's name and his birthday date,
then you can make it, ha...

I'm praying every night that I will pass it. :)

LOL, I have good memory but for that section - It is pretty tough and you will be timed. You have to answer 88 questions in five minutes.. and for other sections with different time limitation.

I took the test. I passed it no problem. Problem is hard to get in. I am supposed to have an interview with them last month and I asked for an interpter. They postponed 3 times then they quit called me. Fed up with them already. The positions, I am seeking, might be already filled. Oh well.

What position are u seeking? I applied for RCA position. I will sign up other test for a different position.

Will u have an interpter for the test?

Good luck

jazzy

yea mail carriers earn more in their job -- there are some VERY lazy mail carriers sheesh *rme*

jazzy said:
I took the test. I passed it no problem. Problem is hard to get in. I am supposed to have an interview with them last month and I asked for an interpter. They postponed 3 times then they quit called me. Fed up with them already. The positions, I am seeking, might be already filled. Oh well.

What position are u seeking? I applied for RCA position. I will sign up other test for a different position.

Will u have an interpter for the test?

Good luck

jazzy

Really? Why don't you try and contact an agency to find an interpreter on your own and have the PO pay for the interpreting expense??

I'm pretty much open to any position. But the exam I am taking is for Rural Carrier. You have to take different exams for different positions? I am still pretty new to this.

Yes, I will have an interpreter for the exam. But I still haven't heard from this lady if she have found one. The exam is next week on 29th, :-/

Did you have any strageties you used for the exam? What about that Memory section (A,B,C,D,&E)??

Sabrina said:
$42 a hour? I find that hard to believe! That means your friend makes $87,000 a year working full-time!

Roam4Life said:
Did you had a study guide to study before taking the test? Yes, I know several deaf people who got PO job thru VR. But I am not taking the easy way. So hope I'll make it in.

Yes I have to study this book for Post Office.. still have it here with me. I took two months to make sure I study enuff to take testing.... I am in 70s to 60s to get this job. Oh well, I should go back and take it again, maybe pull up some more. :D

I have worked at the Post Office back in Iowa for a couple of years as a mail-handler...I have taken the test and the important thing to consider while taking the test is being able to distinguish between different words or numbers, in other words, being able to read well. There are 'regulars' which the pay is high along with having great benefits, they don't work weekends and are not required to work holidays, then there are 'PTF's', the pay is almost similiar to the regulars' pay and most 'PTF's' generally also have certain benefits, but they do work weekends and holidays when posted to do so, then there are 'TE's', the pay is lower than the above two levels, required to work any specific days such as weekends and holidays, lastly, then there are 'casuals', the pay is the lowest of all the levels mentioned, yet still considered several dollars above the min. wage and required to work weekends and all holidays, and having a certain time assignment such as for only 6 months and two years assignments, meaning once the allotted time is up, they are out and new recruits take their place.
The one issue that I found to be true in a Postal work place is the 'high' volume of unneccessary stress...The United States Postal Service had one of the highest percentage for suicide, murder, domestic crimes, etc., but I tend to believe since the new Postal General took over awhile ago, this perhaps has gone down somewhat, although, in the Post Office where I worked at, there were two cases of two workers in my section that took their lives...it's always sad to see something like this happening, yet, I can see the 'why' of it or for it taking place...but I'm not in any position to discourage anyone from working at a Post Office, I'm sure each area is different and am confident that there have been great strides and improvements in the workplace that have been made...No way am I cutting down the 'image' of the U.S. Postal Service, there are a great deal of many good quality workers that do provide excellent services for all customers! Also, the penalties are severe if someone is caught 'pocketing' money from letters, cards, gifts, etc...one man was given up to 10 years confinement in prison for stealing 'one dollar' from a card....if you do your job right and in a timely fashion, then you shouldn't have any problem working in a Post Office or being a Mail Carrier!! ;)

Back