Oy! Teacher Tells Student He Could Be Arrested for Talking Badly About Obama

The whole thing is moot....something that took place almost 50 years ago. Not even worth the dialogue or discussion. An attempt that backfired badly.

My grandma had been bullied at public school from late 1930's until early 1950's so no one apologized her.

Yup, I tried but they didn't understand about what I was saying.

I had huge communication deficit and my grammar was really terrible.
OIC, so that was alot of frustration for you in the past but I am glad you are okay now.

Everyone in America is entitled to and does in fact have freedom of speech as a right! Even the underage!

you seemed to be confused about First Amendment...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

First Amendment protects your freedom of speech from government. The later decision by Supreme Court since Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District has allowed schools to limit/censor a scope of student's freedom of speech in order to preserve decency or morality.

The only thing that's in the wrong in here is teacher's misbehavior and misconduct in class.

OIC, so that was alot of frustration for you in the past but I am glad you are okay now.

Yup, my parent didn't care about my education until I got in high school so they realized that I want go to college and they went into help me to succeed the high school with minor delay - I didn't got high school degree until late 2006 after graduation in June 2006.

In 20 years ago, the school put a lot of students in special education after they couldn't pass the regular class but not anymore after NCLB passed in 2002.

You know that teachers have rights to tell students to refrain from political discussion in the class.

precisely correct. and the teachers can do that to students but the government cannot do that to citizens.

Everyone in America is entitled to and does in fact have freedom of speech as a right! Even the underage!

Freedom of Speech has some restriction but it is up to high court to interpret the law - look Jiro's post #64.

I felt that underage doesn't have same freedom of speech as adult does.

I got spanked by my father for say bad things about Bill Clinton when we were watch TV about presidential speech. My parent told me that Bill Clinton was great president and made my life so better so I said okay because I didn't know about government when I was younger until I learned about political stuff in history class at high school. When I was 16 years old, I started talk bad things about Bush so my parent doesn't care anymore because they disliked Bush.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

CrazyPaul said:
It's not me. It's the whole community. common courtesy in real life should apply to online as well.
Oh, no, alot of people say "bitch", "asshole", etc in real life. Nobody is pure holy.

A lot of people don't use vulgar language.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Foxrac said:
Wow! What kind of schools did you attend? I never had a teacher use threats or lying "tactics" to control a class. Our teachers never had to "scare" students into behaving. If there was a troublemaker, he got sent to the principal's office.

The special education at elementary school in LA.

In 1st grade, the teacher told all of us in cafeteria so if student throw the food so she will call police with her cellphone and take us to jail. I asked her - are you serious? so she got angry, yell at me and told me that throwing food in cafeteria is illegal and you can be arrested with metal handcuff so she told me - don't cry or she say that she will slap my face so I went sad and so quiet. In class, we are ordered to color the picture so I got too tired to color the picture and I took black crayon to color all picture so teacher told me that she will take me to doctor and get a vaccine for doing bad in school. She grabbed my shirt and took out of class to other class with multi-disabilities so she told me that she will call my parent and move me to other class with mental retardation. I told her that I was sorry about messed up and told me to color the picture again. After color the picture in correct and neat but she puts frown smile on it and told me to show to my parent with signature. I became upset and starting cry but she told stop... and told me that she will slap my face if I did cry so everything wasn't great. In hour later, she took my work to her desk and didn't require parental signature after see the picture with color. There are plenty of bad stories about special education classes.

1st grade was my worst ever and it was most cruelest teacher ever. This teacher worked since early 1970's but retired in about 10 years ago, however it was happened during 1994-1995 school year.

That's awful! I'm very sorry that you had such a terrible experience. That was no way to treat little kids. :(

Don't you all think that the teacher is a racist? Since Ex-Pres Bush is white, it's ok for the students to talk shyt about him but not ok to do the same about Pres Obama who is black.

you seemed to be confused about First Amendment...

First Amendment protects your freedom of speech from government. The later decision by Supreme Court since Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District has allowed schools to limit/censor a scope of student's freedom of speech in order to preserve decency or morality.

The only thing that's in the wrong in here is teacher's misbehavior and misconduct in class.

No, I'm not confused about the First Amendment at all! In a discussion in a public school class where the teacher initiated the speech as part of the lesson then as long as the student isn't vulgar or threatening he or she is entitled to free speech and their opinion as well! You are talking about decency & morality here not freedom of speech concerning the government so I believe in fact you have your facts incorrect here! :cool2:

No, I'm not confused about the First Amendment at all! In a discussion in a public school class where the teacher initiated the speech as part of the lesson then as long as the student isn't vulgar or threatening he or she is entitled to free speech and their opinion as well! You are talking about decency & morality here not freedom of speech concerning the government so I believe in fact you have your facts incorrect here! :cool2:

that's ok. *pat pat pat*

your brain's working too hard for today. let's take a break :cool2:

I'm not a Christian either. I'm a gentleman. so can you. will you?

Im a christian, and I LOVE your comment,,, respect has nothing to do with a being a christian or not <3 thanks for being a gentlemen... although I do not mind swearing, there is a time and a place, a public form is not one of them, you dont want to offend anyone even by accident,

Do you know that teacher has rights to tell students to refrain from political discussion in the class? If not then they can be disciplined for disrespect.

Of course she does, and everybody knows that. But in this case, she is the one who started the political discussion. It's a social studies class, and she wanted to talk about politics, and she wanted the students to discuss politics.

The problem was she didn't want anybody to disagree with her. When somebody did, she lost her temper and began screaming, and at one point pounding on something. She also contradicted herself and lied (or else she is an utterly ignorant social studies teacher, and she really does believe you can be arrested for saying something bad about President Obama).

She should be fired because she displayed incompetence. She doesn't know her subject, and she doesn't have any control of her classroom, or herself.

Of course she does, and everybody knows that. But in this case, she is the one who started the political discussion. It's a social studies class, and she wanted to talk about politics, and she wanted the students to discuss politics.

The problem was she didn't want anybody to disagree with her. When somebody did, she lost her temper and began screaming, and at one point pounding on something. She also contradicted herself and lied (or else she is an utterly ignorant social studies teacher, and she really does believe you can be arrested for saying something bad about President Obama).

She should be fired because she displayed incompetence. She doesn't know her subject, and she doesn't have any control of her classroom, or herself.

I'm not talking about this teacher but just generally for all other teachers.

Fire her is too extreme so she got suspended with pay.

Yup, I tried but they didn't understand about what I was saying.

I had huge communication deficit and my grammar was really terrible.

That's terrible, and your teacher should have been fired. That teacher never should have been working with children in the first place, actually.

When we adopted our special needs child we considered putting her school, but the teacher's aid in the special class where our daughter would have attended came to me and begged me not to do that. She was crying. She said the teacher in that class was abusive. My friend had reported it to the administration and they responded by threatening to fire my friend if she didn't stop making waves.

She was quitting at the end of the year because she couldn't stand working in that environment any more.

First ammendment rights are a little more complicated in a school and with minor children. I think Jiro and Foxrac are closer to being correct on that issue. If students had complete freedom of speech there would be chaos in the classroom and no teaching would get done.

Teachers do have the right to say 'there will be no political discussion in this class.' They can say, "no talking at all" if they want.

The reason this particular incident touches on first ammendment issues is because the ignorant and ill informed teacher told her students that it was illegal to say something bad about the President at all, anywhere, and as a social studies teacher she should have known better.

She also told her students that people had been arrested for something bad about President Bush, and then to 'prove' her case she told a totally different story about a different President, where nobody was arrested. She made no sense at all.

There's no good reason to keep paying teachers who don't know their subject, who teach false information to their students, and who can't control themselves or the class. Teaching our young people is a privilege and an honor, it's not a *right* and if you are teaching lies, you should lose your job.

I'm not talking about this teacher but just generally for all other teachers.

Fire her is too extreme so she got suspended with pay.

Do you know another pair of words for suspending a teacher with pay in May?

Summer vacation.

This teacher hasn't been punished at all, and there's no reason to believe she will suddenly learn her subject this summer. She is teaching her students false information.

That's terrible, and your teacher should have been fired. That teacher never should have been working with children in the first place, actually.

When we adopted our special needs child we considered putting her school, but the teacher's aid in the special class where our daughter would have attended came to me and begged me not to do that. She was crying. She said the teacher in that class was abusive. My friend had reported it to the administration and they responded by threatening to fire my friend if she didn't stop making waves.

She was quitting at the end of the year because she couldn't stand working in that environment any more.

Yup, my 1st grade teacher had abused other students in 1970's and 1980's after learned from other deaf people who attended during time so one deaf man told me about in 1978, this teacher slapped his head after he refused to listen so he left to deaf school after incident, even the principal sided with teacher.

You have to remember about teachers in CA are unionized and it is extremely difficult to fire them, except for criminal charge against them.

Back