Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. I didn't get into the specifics of a day in the classroom. I was merely told that it is a program where they use spoken language in the classrooms. A parent I spoke to told me that in her daughter's class they use spoken language up to 90% of the time, but that in non-core classes (and lunch, etc) they are combined with the other students and they use ASL. That is all I know. I have also seen that they are called "oral approach" classes by the superintendent.
And yes, this would be different than speech classes.
The director of my daughter's school likened it to a "self-contained class inside the bi-bi school"

Okay. For CI students only?

deafdyke - You do not have to have money to have EXTREMELY high parental involvement. In fact the way that you are choosing to describe EXTREMELY high parental involvement, reads to me as no parental involvement at all, but rather "out sourcing". You seem to suggest that families with lower incomes, cannot be high achieving.
Not at all. I'm just saying that it does seem like oral acheivement/sucess tends to strongly corralate with socio-economic factors.
The same reason why kids from high achiever suburbs tend to go off to Name Brand Colleges and get prestigious jobs on Wall Street...........
Some kids from just average or below average socioeconomic can acheive that as well.........
However, there's a HUGE difference between "normal parental involvement" and the type of extreme parental involvement which an AVT methodology demands. As a matter of fact, the AVT methodology almost seems to demand that the parents become "stage mom" types.
rick.............I'm not saying that the oral methodology is automaticly equalivant to extremely high acheiver. I am saying that auditory-verbal is.
It's basicly the oral deaf metholdology on steriods. It's exctly like the helicopter parents or the parents that demand that their kids be in "enrichement" activtities 24/7.......make sense?

and going and going and going......

I hope you and your family have had a great Mom's Day!

We did, we all got together although several of the cousins are missing as they are still away at college. Hope you had a great one too!

PS: She is still going and going and going. Can you imagine that poor unsuspecting lady at the school who is going to be barraged by her e-mails and phone calls tomorrow! :)

Not at all. I'm just saying that it does seem like oral acheivement/sucess tends to strongly corralate with socio-economic factors.

You've said this a few times. I'm surprised no one has been offended by what you said because it seems to imply that one cannot be an oral success because he didn't have resources to do so, not because he doesn't have the ability to do so.

Obviously some people don't have the ability to be an oral success, but it seems like you're saying that being rich is even a bigger factor than the oral skill abilities.

I've been gone for the past few days, so I'm reading all those pages, trying to catch up.... and to me, the last 3 pages were basically about how well the people described the school's program on their website. If only someone actually wrote "Cochlear Implant Program" instead of "program for CI users with spoken language as primary method of instruction", jillio wouldn't be frothing in the mouth right now... (or maybe she still would for some other mundane reason..)

We did, we all got together although several of the cousins are missing as they are still away at college. Hope you had a great one too!

PS: She is still going and going and going. Can you imagine that poor unsuspecting lady at the school who is going to be barraged by her e-mails and phone calls tomorrow! :)

Again, you failed to read properly. One email per person, 5 different people.:roll:

RE: the going comment: Did you ever stop to think that is exactly the way the deaf community feels about the audists who keep popping up around here with no other purpose that to tell the deaf community what is best for deaf individuals? Speech, speech, speech, speech. The refrain is quite old and annoying.

I've been gone for the past few days, so I'm reading all those pages, trying to catch up.... and to me, the last 3 pages were basically about how well the people described the school's program on their website. If only someone actually wrote "Cochlear Implant Program" instead of "program for CI users with spoken language as primary method of instruction", jillio wouldn't be frothing in the mouth right now... (or maybe she still would for some other mundane reason..)

Firstly, I am not "frothing in the mouth" (although I have never heard that particular expression before). It is that a poster is claiming a program's existence (i.e. an "oral track" for CI students alone) that is not indicated anywhere in their information. Poster is looking for the "all inclusive, perfect world" educational placement that simply does not exist. It is irresponsible to give other parents who are making placement decisions the suggestion that it does.

Many of u "foam" at the mouth about misinformation being spread about CIs. Many of u will keep going correcting any misinformation about the reasons why parents implant their children, that implants aren't brain surgery, and etc so it seems kinda hpocritical to criticize us for correcting any misinformation about BiBi programs. Gotta practice what u preach. :roll:

I'm surprised no one has been offended by what you said because it seems to imply that one cannot be an oral success because he didn't have resources to do so, not because he doesn't have the ability to do so.

Obviously some people don't have the ability to be an oral success, but it seems like you're saying that being rich is even a bigger factor than the oral skill abilities.
No. I'm not saying that at all. I never said that. I think people are getting confused.What I am saying is that it does seem like the type of families who are really attracted to such an intense methodology tend to be the type of families who prize overacheievement. This isn't limited to dhh ed....they'd be into programs that have the unspoken message that the kids enrolled in them, will be very very high overacheivers. Not saying that doesn't mean that a typical kid from a middle class family or a working class family wouldn't be an oral sucess. Just hypothesizing whether its the methodology or the type of people attracted to the methodology....make sense?
Also, being relatively well off would mean that the family could invest in additional speech therapy, afford to move, afford the latest equiptment.....hell in this day and age, even middle class people are having huge issues with health insurance.

There is no one telling people they must have speech but the only person constantly assuming that they speak on behalf of the deaf community and telling people, deaf and hearing, what is best for them is you. Guess you are the audist, the self-loathing must be so ironic.

Yeah, I'm an audist.:roll::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: You're really a funny guy!

You've said this a few times. I'm surprised no one has been offended by what you said because it seems to imply that one cannot be an oral success because he didn't have resources to do so, not because he doesn't have the ability to do so.

Any deaf can be oralists. It's hard for a deaf person because they don't hear it but any can do it if their heart was set on it. talking is not a skill, sorry... it just isn't. Even hillbillies know how to speak and read lips too.. that's how easy it is to learn how to talk. Talking is like walking but just because deaf can't hear words, it doesn't make them less intelligent for not being oralists. It's the attitude of people think oralists is equal to intelligent. So some parents do everything they can to make their deaf child a part of hearing world because they don't think signers can be just as successful.

Last edited:
Any deaf can be oralists. It's hard for a deaf person because they don't hear it but any can do it if their heart was set on it. talking is not a skill, sorry... it just isn't. Even hillbillies know how to speak and read lips too.. that's how easy it is to learn how to talk. Talking is like walking but just because deaf can't hear words, it doesn't make them less intelligent for not being oralists. It's the attitude of people think oralists is equal to intelligent. So some parents do everything they can to make their deaf child a part of hearing world because they don't think signers can be just as successful.

:shock:

I take back what I said. Now I think what YOU said was offensive.

I guess I must be really dumb for working too much to learn to speak. Gosh!

I can tell that you're new to the deaf world. So am I but it seems like you got a lot to learn.

:shock:

I take back what I said. Now I think what YOU said was offensive.

I guess I must be really dumb for working too much to learn to speak. Gosh!

I can tell that you're new to the deaf world. So am I but it seems like you got a lot to learn.

Did you miss that Lighthouse is an oralist? :laugh2:

New converts are always the most passionate.

Did you miss that Lighthouse is an oralist? :laugh2:

New converts are always the most passionate.

I've noticed that too, they get angry at their parents, their lives, and so on, but I also noticed that after the fire goes away, they resume their lives as before..... with a few new deaf friends.

*shrug*

Such is life.

I've noticed that too, they get angry at their parents, their lives, and so on, but I also noticed that after the fire goes away, they resume their lives as before..... with a few new deaf friends.

*shrug*

Such is life.

But they are happier after they get it out of their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back