Obama ASL

My perspective is it must have been a slow news day, because Obama signing "thank you" isn't a news story.

if it were you who didnt have a deaf son, and you would not know sign at all. someone show you how to sign and you would use "thank you" as one sign you already know and you would sign it over and over which is your news story like every hearing people do.

But, that is a soldier gesture for "Thank You"... Not actual ASL "Thank You".

But I do remember Sarah Plain, through I was thought it was great to see her used it. But it seems everyone hates her. So, it is probably easy to forget her...

Almost, she did both. First the "soldier thank you" and then after that the sign language "thank you" all in a space of several seconds. At approximately 39:14 into the video you can see her sign exactly the same signing motion as in the Gratitude Campaign by signing "Thank you" which matched with what she was saying to the crowd (or perhaps to troops or deaf people?). But at 39:19 she signs "Thank you" as one would sign in ASL and you can briefly see her mouth the words "Thank you" right before the camera pulled away from her.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgNrb3baNM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

What is "a soldier gesture for 'Thank You'"? Can you describe it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr9Zb3sTfYg]the gratitude campaign (short) - YouTube[/ame]

With 1.7 million hits, too.

Almost, she did both. First the "soldier thank you" and then after that the sign language "thank you" all in a space of several seconds. {*snip*}

and that lead to continuous mockery by some of the very same people, that are now outraged by the fact, some of us see obama's breif use of a sign as nothing more than pandering.

Oh, I've seen that video before. That's a thank you tothe soldiers.

Karissa posted about a "a soldier gesture for 'Thank You,'" so I thought she meant it was a gesture that soldiers used to thank other people.

Maybe the one in your video is what she meant.

I'll vote Obama if he do the sign language, more than a sentence. No matter if he destroy America. Serious....

I don't want to see people lose their jobs or careers, houses, their livelihoods and us becoming a 2nd rate country. Not worth it.

and that lead to continuous mockery by some of the very same people, that are now outraged by the fact, some of us see obama's breif use of a sign as nothing more than pandering.

Oh, yeah, there was a huge stink by some in the Deaf community over the "thank you" gesture for soldiers. It was completely unnecessary to go over board on that one.

the gratitude campaign: faqs comments

Click on "That's not ASL."

What is "a soldier gesture for 'Thank You'"? Can you describe it?

Almost, she did both. First the "soldier thank you" and then after that the sign language "thank you" all in a space of several seconds. At approximately 39:14 into the video you can see her sign exactly the same signing motion as in the Gratitude Campaign by signing "Thank you" which matched with what she was saying to the crowd (or perhaps to troops or deaf people?). But at 39:19 she signs "Thank you" as one would sign in ASL and you can briefly see her mouth the words "Thank you" right before the camera pulled away from her.

Oh, I've seen that video before. That's a thank you tothe soldiers.

Karissa posted about a "a soldier gesture for 'Thank You,'" so I thought she meant it was a gesture that soldiers used to thank other people.

Maybe the one in your video is what she meant.

Yes, Koko just explained what I mean. Also, :ty: Koko for a few corrects.

if it were you who didnt have a deaf son, and you would not know sign at all. someone show you how to sign and you would use "thank you" as one sign you already know and you would sign it over and over which is your news story like every hearing people do.

? Huh?

I guess we have a different definition of what constitutes "news". This isn't about being d/Deaf or hearing. It's great Obama signed, "thank you". Kudos to him. My impression was that it was more of a perfunctory act rather than one with deep meaning. Just my opinion. Everyone will perceive it how they choose.

I love the reporter's ignorance! It's a bit funny. :)

"OMG He'll get the deaf vote for sure! (Because he can sign thank you, therefore he MUST know ASL!)"

And Michelle "conversing comfortably" was her voicing "I know" and then showing that she could say "My name is Michelle" in SEE. :P Which, you know, is more than just "thanks" but not exactly fluency.

Different experiences I guess. I get signed to by hearing people daily. It's nice that they make an effort...but I still don't see anything "wow" about it.
Maybe because their signing mean nothing to you as I have with my customers. Some of them were thrilled to use sign with me because it is rare for them to meet any deaf people. I am rural carrier so they try to communicate with me so simple sign thank you is big A plus for me and give me big smile.

I have taught some hearing people some sign so they can communicate with me and others. Not need a ASL classes for them, ASL classes are more alike for people who want to focus on Deaf studies or as foreign language. OBama does not need to take ASL classes, he can learn some sign from us. We are their teachers.

That's because the one that knows Spanish was welcoming illegals as they crossed the Mexican border.

BTW, my comment was a joke. I can see you are open minded and non-defensive towards the Conservative side. Keep promoting your brand of politician. I will trust your judgment.:roll:

I'm a Libertarian. I haven't voted for a Republican candidate for a major office for a while now.

But, that is a soldier gesture for "Thank You"... Not actual ASL "Thank You".

But I do remember Sarah Plain, through I was thought it was great to see her used it. But it seems everyone hates her. So, it is probably easy to forget her...

I would not be surprised if she learned a few signs to use with her own baby, since he has Down Syndrome.

? Huh?

I guess we have a different definition of what constitutes "news". This isn't about being d/Deaf or hearing. It's great Obama signed, "thank you". Kudos to him. My impression was that it was more of a perfunctory act rather than one with deep meaning. Just my opinion. Everyone will perceive it how they choose.

Let me help you to understand. When a prominent person like the President of United States say a couple of words in a language that is not widely known, it would be "news" to those who know the language.

Back