Obama ASL

Let me help you to understand. When a prominent person like the President of United States say a couple of words in a language that is not widely known, it would be "news" to those who know the language.
Yes, similar to "Home of Joe Blow" signs you sometimes see when you get to a small town. It creates a sense of acceptance.

Since I recall that C-Sign was an advocate of SEE, I wonder if she would be thrilled to see Obama tell a story using SEE. :hmm:

Let me help you to understand. When a prominent person like the President of United States say a couple of words in a language that is not widely known, it would be "news" to those who know the language.

Ok :P

Yes, similar to "Home of Joe Blow" signs you sometimes see when you get to a small town. It creates a sense of acceptance.

Since I recall that C-Sign was an advocate of SEE, I wonder if she would be thrilled to see Obama tell a story using SEE. :hmm:

SWK, it seems you might be a bit confused.

I'm not an advocate for SEE. I'm an advocate for a visual mode of communication.

Also, it was reportedly Michelle Obama who told a story in SEE. I haven't seen it, so whether or not it was actually SEE rather than PSE, I couldn't say. In either case, I certainly don't find it to be "thrilling". I reserve that word for experiences such as skydiving and crazy roller coasters.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJqpaYCjU8]Sam and Obama in ASL - YouTube[/ame]

There are many, many colleges and some high schools that have their own sport team "sign".
Years ago the blacks had a "sign" for Black Power and the deaf had one for Deaf Power.
There are "thumb-up" and "thumb-down" and "ok/good"and etc.
All of these are not news worthy, even where a president uses them.

At the many, many deaf socials I attend in Houston, the most frequent requested sign from the waitstaff is "thank you".........by the end of the evening the of the restaurant knows it..
This is no big deal to me nor the deaf at the socials.

Not going to make me vote for him. I never voted him and will NOT vote for him. End of story.

I have the feeling that 20 years later, he will realize that this is just meaningless.

I will vote one who don't believe in big government, big brother, and MIND their own business about American's lives. I would easily vote one who believes in preservance of freedom. Right now the freedom is GONE

AYE!! I agree with you! This is what UPNYTH is all about! Vote him out!!!

There are many, many colleges and some high schools that have their own sport team "sign".
Years ago the blacks had a "sign" for Black Power and the deaf had one for Deaf Power.
There are "thumb-up" and "thumb-down" and "ok/good"and etc.
All of these are not news worthy, even where a president uses them.

At the many, many deaf socials I attend in Houston, the most frequent requested sign from the waitstaff is "thank you".........by the end of the evening the of the restaurant knows it..
This is no big deal to me nor the deaf at the socials.

You know that the Roman Empire had some sort of sign language? The people watching Christians and the Jews and the Weaks get mauled to death and they would follow their Emperiors/Ceasars hand sign thump up or down. Usually down. Winners of Gladator fights usually get thump up or no vote (thump goes sideway).

They also used fist on chest as meaning of loyality or salute. But also they do that fist on chest and fists out (almost like Hitler's Heil Hitler salute) meaning they obey.

Hand on chest OR hands resting at chest is another thing.. not fist signal, it means they are Senators or the upper class or they are called social class (not to be confused with modern day lower class). Hand on lap means confined.

This gave away to modern day Italian hand signs. I usually do that when I talk because I am Italian (actually Roman because my grandparents came over to NYC before Italy became country legally in 1917).

(hand sign thump up) :) Figure that out! Hahha.

I have taught some hearing people some sign so they can communicate with me and others. Not need a ASL classes for them, ASL classes are more alike for people who want to focus on Deaf studies or as foreign language. OBama does not need to take ASL classes, he can learn some sign from us. We are their teachers.

If you say so, then teach him to QUIT his political office right now! Let's do it!

Pres. Obama signs "thank you"

I just thought this was cool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXHabLaTLCY]President Obama Signs To Deaf Fan - YouTube[/ame]

Seriously, what's so big deal about that? It's not exactly a "wow" factor... I mean, everyone can learn to say "thank you."

Seriously, what's so big deal about that? It's not exactly a "wow" factor... I mean, everyone can learn to say "thank you."

:lol: and most do. I see waitresses and bartenders do it all the time.

If Obama is the only or first President of the U.S. who signed "Thank you", then I am impressed. I know it's no big deal to some of you since it's just one sign but still that tells me that he supports deaf people so that's why it's important to me.

Back