Need help fast, need info to where law says interpreter required when pulled over

its a joke, man

I got it off at a cop-related forum where cops n speeders get together.

I got pulled over 11 times in 4 years range of my driving experience...

the most outrage speeding was 96 MPH in 65 zone and I got pulled over and got warning :)

but I got pulled over 11 times and got 2 tickets and 9 warnings..... one ticket was for doing 62 mph in 55 and one ticket for improper passing on the scooter when I was on my spring break vacation with Tracey in Panama City Beach, Florida.... but I did try and not to pay since it was out of state.. so.. 5 months later... Kentucky contacted me that Florida sent a mail to them and told them that I didnt pay it so Kentucky told me to pay it or they will suspend my license.. so.. shit.. I had to pay Florida lol

kevbo said:
From my knowledge and experience, you can't ask for an interpreter when you are pulling over by a state police. The only way you can ask for an interpreter is when they read your rights.

Same here In Minnesota.. we can't ask for an interpreter if we pull over by police.. if arrest is made.. go to jail/police officer office.. require to get an interpreter to repeat read your rights and dont sign till you get an interpreter..

it was really mess.. one of the county that i got arrest for warrant which i didnt know... they refused give me an interpreter at ALL.. so then upon my court date, i told judge about that situation.. and read my warrant it was old.. so he dismissed the case.. than spend jail or fine hehe

Travis said:

the most outrage speeding was 96 MPH in 65 zone and I got pulled over and got warning :)

but I got pulled over 11 times and got 2 tickets and 9 warnings..... one ticket was for doing 62 mph in 55 and one ticket for improper passing on the scooter when I was on my spring break vacation with Tracey in Panama City Beach, Florida.... but I did try and not to pay since it was out of state.. so.. 5 months later... Kentucky contacted me that Florida sent a mail to them and told them that I didnt pay it so Kentucky told me to pay it or they will suspend my license.. so.. shit.. I had to pay Florida lol

Off topic.. this thread talk about getting an interpreter not your records.

Travis said:

That is irrelevant. :roll:

From what you're saying, you're better off explaining to the judge telling him that you never knew what you were pulled over for until after he gave you the ticket and forced you to sign it. If you point out that you tried to communicate with the officer who pulled you over, it could... I mean "could"... score you some sympathy points and allow the judge to reduce the fine or waive it. For instance, I got pulled over years ago for driving without a seat belt. When I faced the judge, I told him that I was the designated driver driving a friend home and I was so concerned with my friend that I didn't realize that I had no seat belt on. The judge only fined me $35... end of case. Normally, they fine you at least $100 for not wearing a seat belt.

Sometimes we have to make do with what we have right now. FOr myself, I got caught speeding for the first time last year and I informed the police officer that I was deaf. He then started fingerspelling and I was shocked but impressed. I discovered that many police officers in my town knew how to fingerspell because a police officer's aunt is deaf. Maybe you could make a suggestion for some police officers to learn how to sign? It would be nicer if more police officers learned how to sign. That way when we get pulled over, some deafies whose english isn't that good won't have trouble understanding. That is my only concern. Those who do not have good english will have easier time communicating with the police officer if needed.

*sigh*. . him again. .

Bush_in_2004! said:
There is no federal law that requires interpreters.

The ADA says you must be reasonably "accomodated", in other words the police can use any method to try to communicate with you, like writing notes.

But it is okay to ask for an interpreter.

However, like many here already said, keep you mouth shut. Other than to ask for an interpreter, the only words out of your mouth should be: I want a lawyer.

Tsk. Educate yourself once more. This applies to Kalboy as well.

Read my original post, and actually do your homework. . .for once.

Perhaps I'm asking too much.

Praise Umanita!

~Al-Khawarizmi

butterflygal said:
Sometimes we have to make do with what we have right now. FOr myself, I got caught speeding for the first time last year and I informed the police officer that I was deaf. He then started fingerspelling and I was shocked but impressed. I discovered that many police officers in my town knew how to fingerspell because a police officer's aunt is deaf. Maybe you could make a suggestion for some police officers to learn how to sign? It would be nicer if more police officers learned how to sign. That way when we get pulled over, some deafies whose english isn't that good won't have trouble understanding. That is my only concern. Those who do not have good english will have easier time communicating with the police officer if needed.

yea Butterflygal -- same with my county PD -- i know a few officers here that knows signs and once had to go thru a sobriety checkpoint and had trouble understanding an officer and he called another officer to my car and turned out she knew signs (and she was cute! haha) but yea more police departments nationwide are being educated that there ARE deaf drivers out there and to be aware of them and know how to communicate with the deaf drivers

Sweet_KJ said:
NEVER admit that you're at fault... you have a right to silence. You can fight the ticket by showing up to court sometimes it's thrown out. And I imagine an terp should be provided by the court too.

Just my two cents

Well, that's not, IMHO, a good idea. Sure, the concept is great, however, if you got pulled over for speeding, and try to fight it, if the cop shows up, and 99% of the time they will, you WILL lose. It's a cops word with a radar gun against yours.

Then because of that, you're required to pay the court fees as well, that only costs you more. Just pay the ticket, even if you DIDN'T do anything wrong, its still a cops word.

Yeah, I know, gotta love the way those federal assholes stick together, huh?

hmm.. well i'm actually HOH so i CAN hear some... but when i do get caught and pulled over i act stupid and like i cant understand anything... usually they just wave me on, they dont want to waste time trying to explain things to me lol..

well... i heard there were some cops wanting to
"learn sign language themselves" so that way
they can avoid getting an interpreter...

What do you think ? Suppose if they already
know sign language, then they do not have to
get an interpreter RIGHT ????

Hehe. You shouldn't need an interpreter for a speeding fine, just indicate you're deaf and see if they're willing to accomodate your needs. If they're not, don't worry about it, just read the paper the fine's on.

Back