Mel Gibson was arrested for a DUI.

Seattle.guy

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES - Mel Gibson issued a lengthy statement Saturday apologizing for his drunk driving arrest and saying he has battled alcoholism throughout his life.

The actor and "The Passion of the Christ" director also apologized for what he said were "despicable" statements he made to the deputies who arrested him early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested," he said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

He said he was taking "necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Publicist Alan Nierob declined to elaborate beyond Gibson's statement, and sheriff's Sgt. Rich Erickson declined to respond, saying the case was still under investigation.

Gibson, 50, was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol after deputies stopped his 2006 Lexus LS 430 for speeding at 2:36 a.m. Friday. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said deputies clocked him doing 87 mph in a 45 mph zone.

A breath test indicated Gibson's blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent, Whitmore said. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent.

The actor-director posted $5,000 bail and was released less than two hours later.

Gibson also apologized Saturday for what he called "my belligerent behavior" when he was taken into custody.

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

Nierob and sheriff's officials declined to discuss what Gibson said.

Gibson won a best-director Oscar for 1995's "Braveheart" and had a 2004 religious blockbuster with "The Passion of the Christ." He also starred in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" films, "What Women Want" and "The Man Without a Face," among other movies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_en_ot/people_gibson

Wow.. Mel Gibson is one of my favorite actors...sorry to know he has drinking problem... hope he will get help...

Oh dear - Tsk Tsk!!

Australian people consider him as Aussie! (He was brought up in Australia albeit born in USA)

Mel Gibson is also one of my favorite actors. Hope he will get some help with his drinking problem. It was nice of him to apologize though.

Butterflygurl - yes I was thinking the same too, nice way to admit his mistakes - no one is perfect.

ButterflyGirl said:
Mel Gibson is also one of my favorite actors. Hope he will get some help with his drinking problem. It was nice of him to apologize though.

I agree.

I think Mel Gibson is a real COOL one.. he admits that he has a drinking problems.... he will get help... I am proud of him.... he is SEXY actor...
SxyPorkie

Wow... a man who made a religious movie committed a major sin? Gee...

he is my favorite actor

i hope he can get some help to get him to stop drinking
i know it is hard

Ive always liked mel gibson's movies and yea he is one dude who still looks good for his age ;) Alcoholism is hard thing to deal with and it stays with you for life--always have to look out for times/places when one gets tempted to try that "one drink" again. I wish him luck dealing with it.

YOU SEE COPS ARE HYPOCRITES!! Oh Yeah a sheriff deputy would arrest a top notch hollywood celebrity. But when it comes to top notch politicans like an US Congressman or Senators who commit a DUI behind a wheel of a car no arrests will be made.Look at that Drunk congressman Patrick Kennedy who crashed his car in DC and the COPS MADE NO ATTEMPT TO ARREST HIM!! And Another Drunk Kennedy back in 1969 On this Article HERE ... And what about Vice President Dick Cheney who shot his friend in the face I bet he was drunk too while hunting AGAIN the Deputy made no Attempt to make him use a breatherizer test.And Get this one,,Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney who hit a police officer while the officer told her to stop and officer grabbed her and she slapped him across the face. AGAIN Officers made no attempt to arrest her.You wanna know what it is? POLITICANS are the COPS BOSSES!! You never tempt your boss at work now would you? Only Cold Stone Steve Austin was allowed to do that to Vince McManhon. Cops are CHICKENSHIT To Place any high profile politican under arrest.And Mel Gibson is just an actor.If i were Arnold Swartgenagger id would call the LAPD Chef and say un arrest mel Gibson OR YOURE FIRED!!!!!

Anybody want to see his new movie coming out.... it looks like it gonna be better than Passion, ThunderDome, Mad Max.....

I like the way he makes his movie... :)

sillycat said:
Ive always liked mel gibson's movies and yea he is one dude who still looks good for his age ;) Alcoholism is hard thing to deal with and it stays with you for life--always have to look out for times/places when one gets tempted to try that "one drink" again. I wish him luck dealing with it.

Alcoholism isn't his worse problem. Deep in his heart he is against Jewish people and other minorities. When he was drinking, this came out. Alcohol won't make you say anything drunk that you don't think when you're sober. I won't see any film he's associated with in the future.

I have mixed feelings about this.

One the one hand, I agree that no one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. But, I also think that he is a hypocrite.

There's been rumors of anti semitism floating around him for years, and like someone already said above, being drunk only serves to make a person less inhibited. I really think Mel Gibson has some prejudices, but it didn't come to light until he got drunk and opened up his mouth.

As they say, "Loose lips sink ships..."

:roll: He's not against Jewish people.. and other kinds of races!!! :mad:

HoHGuyOhio said:
Alcoholism isn't his worse problem. Deep in his heart he is against Jewish people and other minorities. When he was drinking, this came out. Alcohol won't make you say anything drunk that you don't think when you're sober. I won't see any film he's associated with in the future.

Back