KristinaB's Garage Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st- East wall outside - door will eventually be filled in. 2nd- Extension (rec room) and back yard. 3rd- Front of house (forgot to zoom in) 4th- West wall. 5th- Looking from east to west inside towards 2 bedrooms and a bath in the middle. 6th- looking from north to southeast inside towards a bedroom and part of the living area with front door. 7th- looking from north to southwest inside towards a bedroom on the right and the living room on left. 8th- looking from south to northeast inside towards a bedroom on right and laundry and part of kitchen in center and left. 9th- bedroom on left, kitchen on right. 10th- 1 of 2 views of extension.100_1426.jpg

100_1427.jpg

100_1428.jpg

100_1429.jpg

100_1430.jpg

100_1431.jpg

100_1432.jpg

100_1433.jpg

100_1434.jpg

100_1435.jpg

1st- East wall outside - door will eventually be filled in. 2nd- Extension (rec room) and back yard. 3rd- Front of house (forgot to zoom in) 4th- West wall. 5th- Looking from east to west inside towards 2 bedrooms and a bath in the middle. 6th- looking from north to southeast inside towards a bedroom and part of the living area with front door. 7th- looking from north to southwest inside towards a bedroom on the right and the living room on left. 8th- looking from south to northeast inside towards a bedroom on right and laundry and part of kitchen in center and left. 9th- bedroom on left, kitchen on right. 10th- 1 of 2 views of extension.View attachment 17225

View attachment 17226

View attachment 17227

View attachment 17228

View attachment 17229

View attachment 17230

View attachment 17231

View attachment 17232

View attachment 17233

View attachment 17234

Seems to be coming along pretty fast....looking good so far also.

As of today - all work has passed inspection. Contractor is having issues with the septic tank company. It seems they messed up on one little connection and a few other things that were on the contract. They claim it's all done, contractor says no. They claim they want the payment in full before going on and contractor says he will pay the full bill after all work is done. Tomorrow they will start the concrete work in closing the channels, making the bedroom windows all lower and doing the work over the back door. Next week, we will get the roof of the extension built.

awesome!!
now, its this turning garage into small house or studio?
damn i like it!!
its really good

First time evah I've heard of converting a garage to a house....and I'm pretty confident this garage is solid....So Kristina....come Hell or High Water....feel you're gonna be super safe in there....:giggle:

First time evah I've heard of converting a garage to a house....and I'm pretty confident this garage is solid....So Kristina....come Hell or High Water....feel you're gonna be super safe in there....:giggle:
Lots of buildings get converted into houses. I've seen, and been in, a chicken coop converted into a house, a stable converted into a house, a mill converted into condos, and part of a carriage house converted into an apartment. All kinds of buildings get converted into houses, such as barns, commercial buildings, and lighthouses. Also, it's common for attached garages to be converted into additional living spaces of the original house. :)

Lots of buildings get converted into houses. I've seen, and been in, a chicken coop converted into a house, a stable converted into a house, a mill converted into condos, and part of a carriage house converted into an apartment. All kinds of buildings get converted into houses, such as barns, commercial buildings, and lighthouses. Also, it's common for attached garages to be converted into additional living spaces of the original house. :)

I worked as a bookkeeper for a construction company and at one point we were kept very busy converting attached garages to living space — most often family rooms. It is still being done with a conversion from a garage just finished in the last few months down the street from me. They got a very good match to the point that you can't tell where the change was made.

Also back in 1976 a recently closed grade school was converted to apartments. It happened to be where my mother had taught before her marriage. I got to see inside one of them and thought it turned out great.

When the inspector was here, among his comments were "Man, this house will survive a category 3 and 4 hurricane with ease, and depending on the windows it will survive a category 5." So the contractor showed him the paperwork on the windows we are having and we are now rated as our house will be the safest during a category 5 in a 5 square mile radius.

...Also back in 1976 a recently closed grade school was converted to apartments. It happened to be where my mother had taught before her marriage. I got to see inside one of them and thought it turned out great.
My grandmother's house (built in the mid-1800's) was on the same street as a little red schoolhouse that her siblings had attended that was converted into a home, and just two-doors down from a chapel that had been converted into a home (in the 1960's). They still had the cemetery in the yard!

When the inspector was here, among his comments were "Man, this house will survive a category 3 and 4 hurricane with ease, and depending on the windows it will survive a category 5." So the contractor showed him the paperwork on the windows we are having and we are now rated as our house will be the safest during a category 5 in a 5 square mile radius.
:thumb:

All channels with the rebar and the top of the door frame for the extension got filled with cement today. It poured rain from about 3-7 am so things were wet, but they got it all done and no more rain for the day. I did not speak with contractor, but I believe he will be back tomorrow. There are a lot of little wooden pieces nailed to the house to hold the cement in. Not sure how long it has to dry before they remove the wood.

Well - Friday, one of the guys was here and got the side door area totally filled in. It rained at one point and luckily, he was inside all through that and the rain wasn't blowing in the openings. On the last tiny row, he did it from the outside and managed to slip off the ladder. Luckily, he caught himself and landed on his feet. Daughter and I went to check on him and even though he speaks no English, we found he was fine. Monday or Tuesday this next week we will have the roof of the extension put up, then windows and doors (I think).

Got some new pictures here. 1st, is the beginnings of the roof for the extension. 2nd, is 2 guys on the crew building the roof, 3rd is all slats done and now putting on the pieces around the edge, 4th is a view of the roof attached to the back wall of the former garage, 5th is inside view of the slats, 6th is a closeup of the bolts in wall and last is the box of bolts that are huge. They had to keep the box to show the inspector who will be out later this week. Tomorrow, they plan on putting the plywood down for the roof.

100_1446.jpg

100_1447.jpg

100_1448.jpg

100_1449.jpg

100_1452.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1456.jpg

Well, the guys got the plywood onto the roof of the extension and we had a light rain falling. As they were putting up 3 layers of plastic to cover it, the storm hit and a massive downpour ensued. All plywood is covered now and it is dry. (rain stopped and contractor came out to check it.)

Also, we were having an issue with the septic tank company. They were wanting their full payment and the contractor was with-holding payment until all work was completed. This has been ongoing since April. Well, they finally called contractor and said that they now expect payment as the final inspection passed. Contractor checked the papers, and there was no proof that it was done. He asked me to call the Health Department who does that inspection and check on the status. I used my P3's TTY feature and called and got all the info. I printed out the conversation for the contractor and got an email from the Health Department that was a copy of the letter of the final approval. So, we are finally done with the septic company.

First inspection of the roof passed. They got the next layer on today and will have an inspection tomorrow, then Thursday, if it passes) they will finish up the roof. Next week, they will install windows and doors. I get to buy my doorknob sets this weekend. Right now, it is raining and a storm is moving in for bad weather. Guys are all gone, and contractor and general contractor are talking.

Well - new pictures!! First, the inside walls beginning to get framed out, second, another framed out section of wall. These two pictures are basically the framing of daughters bedroom and closet, our bedroom and closet, the bathroom the 3 of us will share and the hall. Then there are 3 of the guys working on the final layer of the roof. The last 2 pictures are where one of the guys took the camera and took pictures of the roof top. We have tar and some rolled out roofing material. Don't know what it all is myself.

100_1488.jpg

100_1489.jpg

100_1490.jpg

100_1491.jpg

100_1492.jpg

100_1493.jpg

100_1494.jpg

It's really taking shape as a house now! :thumb:

when we see you sitting in it with glass of wine..nice place it come on well

Are you planning to have tall ceiling? Since looking at the door frame, boy you got lot of space above!

Are you planning to have tall ceiling? Since looking at the door frame, boy you got lot of space above!

The main part of the house will have 11 foot ceilings and the extension will have 8 foot ceilings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back