KristinaB's Garage Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did get pictures from today, but will post them later.

Today the cut up concrete from the foundation of the garage for the plumbing lines was removed. All markings on grass for the water line from the new main to the "house" has been spray-painted. The A/C handler location was also spray painted on the ground. The digging was done to get ready for the foundation of the extension/addition and 2 tree root from years ago were dug up. One of the roots went down 4-5 feet in the ground. I can't remember what kind of trees they were, but they were cut down before I married into the family so that's 1993.

Well - we are now waiting for the plumber to come. He should be here Tuesday of next week. We are also waiting for a "soil compaction test" for the foundation of the extension. After that, they will do a termite check and spray, then lay the rebar and plastic for the concrete.

Latest update - hubby & I went to the Water Utilities Dept to pay for the water meter and water lines. They should get it installed within a week or so. Monday, contractor will be back and the septic tank work should get started at least. Bright and early (for us anyway) at 8am. Tuesday the plumber is to come and install the lines in the foundation. Not sure what else except that we hope to have the soil compaction test done so we can have the concrete poured next week.

Septic tank in ground. Soil compaction failed due to issues with area surrounding 3 tree roots that were removed.

Septic not quite finished, they still have to finish running the drain lines and such for 60 feet. Lots of gravel, then the soil, then putting in sod. Seems they changed codes regarding to the depth of the hole for the septic tank due to the water table and being so close the sea level. With where they had to put it, the plumbing lines are higher than originally thought, so we have to (get this!) add 4 inches of cement and raise the foundation. Luckily, we have plenty of room to spare since the ceiling is at 11 feet. Just gonna cost a little more. Contractor has said he will split the cost, since this was a total surprise to him as well. The codes changed on April 1st.

Oh, wow! What a surprise (the April 1st change). At least your contractor was able to resolve it. Phew!

Good deal your contractor will split it with you.

Guys doing the septic, I really felt bad for them. They came out and tried to get it done before the heat really set in. Seems it did not pass inspection. Their level was not right. Needs to be replaced and they had to bury the pipes a little lower. They had to dig them up from all the gravel (1 load from the dump truck) and bury them 3 inches deeper, then recover with the gravel. They got it half done by 4 this afternoon and will be back in the morning. The yard has another load of gravel and another load of dirt in it now. Plumber came out later (after 6) and did some work. I think he is about done. Water company put in the new meter for our place. Since there was a space in the same box as MIL's, they didn't have to dig a new hole for it and we will get a refund back from the Water Department. That will go towards the extra cement needed for the foundation. Oh Joy!!

Will get more pictures tomorrow and get them posted. I have 9 on the camera to load into computer.

That doesn't sound like fun work.

Good news!! Both the septic and the plumbing passed inspection. Contractor will be asking if we can get a temporary water line connected for some reason. I couldn't quite make out what he was saying today. HE brought out a bigger machine to compact the soil for the foundation, but then the skies opened with torrential rains. There was a brief 1 hour of dry time, so the septic guys came back out and moved all the piles of dirt back over the area and buried all their stuff like needed. After that, the skies opened up again and haven't stopped. The area where the dirt was smoothed over now looks like a pond. Both driveways, MIL's and the Garage/house, are like swimming pools. Went out in the car earlier and the water started to come in the door of my car. Yikes!!

Good news!! Both the septic and the plumbing passed inspection. Contractor will be asking if we can get a temporary water line connected for some reason. I couldn't quite make out what he was saying today. HE brought out a bigger machine to compact the soil for the foundation, but then the skies opened with torrential rains. There was a brief 1 hour of dry time, so the septic guys came back out and moved all the piles of dirt back over the area and buried all their stuff like needed. After that, the skies opened up again and haven't stopped. The area where the dirt was smoothed over now looks like a pond. Both driveways, MIL's and the Garage/house, are like swimming pools. Went out in the car earlier and the water started to come in the door of my car. Yikes!!
That sounds worthy of a pic or two! :)

That sounds worthy of a pic or two! :)

It was too dark out to get a picture, but it's still raining. I will see what it's like in the AM and get pictures for sure.

Went out this morning and true to Florida terrain, all water was absorbed into the ground. The drains took care of what was in the driveway.

Well - soil compaction test finally passed. Septic is totally done, plumbing is done and passed. Contractor went to pick up the rebar for the foundation of the extension this afternoon and will start getting it laid out. He will also be doing a termite treatment, then we get the concrete poured in for the foundation and also in the garage to cover the plumbing lines and raise that foundation 4 inches. Everything will be level from the garage/house and the extension.

Goodness me!!! I forgot some fantastic news from yesterday!! While the contractor waits for the rebar to be ready for the foundation, he is working odd jobs both in Miami and in Palm Beach (the island). Well, yesterday he comes by and says that there is a remodel going on and he has this glass-top for a table and want s to know if we are interested. Well, duh!! Of course we are. So we get it unloaded from his truck (5 people). This glass is 3/4 inch think and measures 7'2" by 4'3" with the corners notched off so it has like 8 sides, but the corners are only 4 inches long.

Rebar should be delivered tomorrow. Termite treatment for the soil and garage on Wednesday. Then open up the garage on either Friday or Saturday to move out some things (new front door and ladders) and make sure nothing is in garage and the backhoe is moved from the backyard. Concrete to be poured on Monday for the foundation of the extension and the floor of the garage/home. Main house/garage will have then a 10 inch thick concrete foundation, while the extension will have a 4 inch thick concrete foundation. After that, we move to exterior walls, remove the garage doors and build in those walls, make space for all the windows, cut the wall in the back of the garage up by the rafters for the roof of the extension.

That should all be completed before the end of May.

Rebar delivered this morning. All the rain we had made the pad for the extension's foundation unlevel and uneven, so in between rain showers today, they added more dirt an got it packed down. Major rainfall then came, so rebar not done. Also with all the rain in the forecast, we may not get the termite treatment this week. We are playing "wait and see" with the weather.

Also, went to Tuesday Morning store and got my bathroom faucets. They had Peerless brand faucets for $39.99 and so we got the 2 we needed.

:bump:

Hey KristinaB,

Is there any more of updates about your remodeling home? By chance, did you get the pictures developed yet to show them here (AD) yet? :D

WhiteWolves64

Will get the pictures uploaded tonight. I keep forgetting.

So far:
1. septic tank is in and passed inspection
2. plumbing lines run and passed inspection
3. water meter is in
4. soil compaction tests for extension done and passed inspection
5. area for extension prepped for the rebar tomorrow.
6. concrete to be poured this week for the foundation of the extension and to raise the floor in the garage/home to cover plumbing pipes
7. yard marked for the water line from garage/house to meter
8. all windows purchased and delivered (contractor's storage)
9. all floor tile purchased and main garage/home delivered, waiting for delivery of extension
10. bathroom faucets for sinks purchased

That's where we are at now. Once the foundation is poured and dry, they will start on the walls of the extension. They still have to remove the garage doors (3 of them, 12 feet high from ground) to prep the garage/house for the concrete. Once the walls are up, they plan on cutting into the upper back wall of the garage/house so the roof joists for the extension meet those in the garage/house.

Okay, I will start loading pictures in now. We start with the building permit. Then we have the area for the septic tank, then the clearing for the extension, then a few of the tree roots from the area of the extension. Septic tank on the truck, digging for the septic tank, part of the hole for the septic tank, then placing and finally the leveling of the septic tank.

Building permit.jpg

area where the septic tank will go.jpg

clearing spot for extension.jpg

Septic tank on truck.jpg

diggin hole for septic tank.jpg

forgot to upload the tree roots, no biggie.

part of hole for septic.jpg

Septic tank bering lowered.jpg

Leveling of the septic tank.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back