KristinaB's Garage Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main part of the house will have 11 foot ceilings and the extension will have 8 foot ceilings.

That will be nice to have 11 foot ceiling!

Got my front door handle/knob/hardware today.

Also, I am hoping and praying that the garage/house did not get water inside. Friday they put all kinds of stacks of 2x4's in there for the interior wall framing. With all this rain from Tropical Storm Debby, the yards here flooded. We haven't been able to get out there to check due to the rain.

Lots of rain got into the house, but no damage to anything. They just took a big squeegee and got the water out. They have started framing the walls for the other side. Working on my mother's room, the hallway and part of that bathroom. They will finish the framework tomorrow. Final inspection of the roof for the extension did pass and it is done except for the fascia. Next week, they will work on getting the window and doors installed. We are also expecting the electrician out next week or the week after to work on that. The A/C person raised his price again and so the contractor is looking elsewhere. The A/C guy went up by $5000 for the total job and my contractor said "H3LL NO!!". Luckily, he has two-three others that he can call who know about the project.

Also, in the closets, since we have all that ceiling space, they are framing out sturdy shelf space above the closet for storage. Contractor says it should hold 1900-200 pounds.

Last edited:
Lots of rain got into the house, but no damage to anything. They just took a big squeegee and got the water out. They have started framing the walls for the other side. Working on my mother's room, the hallway and part of that bathroom. They will finish the framework tomorrow. Final inspection of the roof for the extension did pass and it is done except for the fascia. Next week, they will work on getting the window and doors installed. We are also expecting the electrician out next week or the week after to work on that. The A/C person raised his price again and so the contractor is looking elsewhere. The A/C guy went up by $5000 for the total job and my contractor said "H3LL NO!!". Luckily, he has two-three others that he can call who know about the project.

Also, in the closets, since we have all that ceiling space, they are framing out sturdy shelf space above the closet for storage. Contractor says it should hold 1900-200 pounds.

What I can't understand is how this can be done! Why weren't ALL the sub-contractors under contract BEFORE anything started on this job of converting garage to a house. So much has seemed so disorganized to me.

Well - inspector was here this morning. So far, everything has passed. Windows will be installed starting 7/9 and over the next 2-3 weeks, the A/C (original guy, he will honor agreed contract price), electrician and plumber will be in to get all that done. Contractor is still working on the arrangements for the insulation. We had to find out what the inspector says we had to have. Nothing is normal due to the type of construction and the location (airport). Also, the contractor has to decided on either "blown" insulation in the ceiling, or "Pink Panther" type rolls. The space up there is too small for attic space. It will just have the duct work for the A/C and stuff like that.

Well - inspector was here this morning. So far, everything has passed. Windows will be installed starting 7/9 and over the next 2-3 weeks, the A/C (original guy, he will honor agreed contract price), electrician and plumber will be in to get all that done. Contractor is still working on the arrangements for the insulation. We had to find out what the inspector says we had to have. Nothing is normal due to the type of construction and the location (airport). Also, the contractor has to decided on either "blown" insulation in the ceiling, or "Pink Panther" type rolls. The space up there is too small for attic space. It will just have the duct work for the A/C and stuff like that.

Glad to see it is coming right along.

On the insulation. Do you ever watch "This Old House" on PBS? They are now using closed cell foam whenever they can. This is a sprayed on insulation that avoids the small gaps that come with the use of rolled insulation.

Glad to see it is coming right along.

On the insulation. Do you ever watch "This Old House" on PBS? They are now using closed cell foam whenever they can. This is a sprayed on insulation that avoids the small gaps that come with the use of rolled insulation.

I don't watch TV at all, but the contractor is thinking of using that. Depends on the price and whether it is allowed.

All windows are now installed. They have also taken up the concrete slab at the back door since they will be pouring a 10 X 13 slab for both the shed and a patio at the back door. The main part of the house is basically 32 X 42 and along the 42 foot back wall the extension was added. It is 13 X 32. Now, the slab to be poured for the patio and shed is just the other 10 feet along the back wall and out the 13 feet same as the extension. So, all in all, the basic footprint of the whole building and slab is 45 X 42 now.

Also, next week, the electrician and the A/C sub-contractors will be here. Contractor is also buying the toilets and sinks as well as the appliances now while they are all on sale. He also had some Corian counter-tops left from another job that match my floor tile. He will bring it buy to see if I like it.

Need to get the latest pictures in, but here's an update. All the strips have been put in to get ready for electrical, insulation and sheet rock walls. The electrician was here today and will finish up tomorrow. Yes, on Saturday. Over the next two weeks, the contractor will have me contact the electric company to get the connection hooked up and running. He is planning on getting the appliances, getting the kitchen together and doing the stucco on the outside.

Please close this thread as I will not be adding to it anymore. My time here is short and limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back