Inputs on CI and Hearing Aids

Overthepond, whats sign rally?

Also have you heard of SignCircle?

I am sadly shocked to see intolerance in this thread, we are all individuals, what works for you may not be my answer and visa versa. We have no right to judge others on decisions they have made whether it is in regards to signing, lipreading,CI implants, digital, analog, etc, etc. I am grateful to see that most of us are open and tolerant here. I am here to learn and share, and I surely appreciate those who have supported, shared and even questioned me. I have much to learn, I am just beginning to introduce myself to the deaf culture, I am ignorant in many ways, but I hope I never come across as intolerant, if I do, please let me know.

There are always going to be people like that in all walks of life. Some people consider me intolerant and ignorant about some issues. Maybe I am...maybe not.

There are always going to be people like that in all walks of life. Some people consider me intolerant and ignorant about some issues. Maybe I am...maybe not.

I'm sure some ADers feel the same way about me when it comes to political threads although I hope I've improved in this area. :) Case in point: I complimented former President Bush and I thought I'd never see the day when that would happen. :giggle:

I am one of the late-deafened, and the problem is not so much whether I could learn
ASL, but more about whether my family, my friends, and my coworkers could learn ASL.

I ended up taking some classes, and love ASL, but no one I know is Deaf so I never get
a good chance to use it.

For me, my decision to get a cochlear implant turned out to be the correct one.

When I talked about using headphones to hear music, I was talking about the time BEFORE I started wearing hearing aids.

Besides, neckloops weren't available in 1985 when I started wearing hearing aids.

My first hearing aid audi knew a great deal about hearing aids and had over 30 years experience in the field. I give her alot of credit because she refused to give me CIC, ITC or ITE hearing aids because she knew I was a self-conscious teenager who would never wear them.

You described something that's a social-psychological issue not a technology based problem.

Last edited:
Some late deafened people may know sign, but a majority of them do not. This is especially true for the elderly population and people who have difficulty learning new languages.

It isn't as simple as "learning sign language" since there are many factors that determine whether or not someone can learn ASL.

If a person lives in a rural area, ASL classes may not be available.

Furthermore, they may not have anyone they can practice and use sign with.

As for the second sentence in your post, I have no idea what you are talking about. I never implied that one needed to know how to lipread in order to know sign. I'm totally blind and learned PSE, SEE and ASL, so I'm well aware of the fact that it isn't necessary to know lipreading in order to learn sign.

Read my post carefully. I said lipreading and sign are 2 communication techniques that many late deafened people are unfamiliar with.

This is more of the classical stereotype of deaf being cripplied, old, not intelligent enough to effectively communicate or learn additional languages, etc.

I am against CI as it takes the deafness out of the deaf and it makes deaf something they are not.

Since this is what jasin believes, I guess I'm not really 100% deaf when I remove my CIs. :lol:

Deaf people typically don't go around talking about wanting to hear or being able to hear if they identify 100% with being deaf and are happy being deaf.

Deaf who act more like hearing then a deaf are hardly deaf.

I am a bit offended by this post here.:mad: This is like saying that I am not deaf at all even without my hearing aids.

Mmmm I guess I was able to hear for 31 years but pretended to be deaf.

I think you need to think before typing things like that.

I wonder who else is a bit offended by that post too?

I am a bit offended by this post here.:mad: This is like saying that I am not deaf at all even without my hearing aids.

I don't get offended by him. I just shrug it off since his posts have no merit to me.

Jasin, are you one of those "deaf militants"?

I agree that it is offensive in content. However, in context of some of the posters other opinions posted, I'd say to look at it as amusing.:giggle:

The fact that you have a hearing aid does not make you hearing or mean you are acting like a hearing person nor was I suggesting it does. I was just merely pointing out that deafs who act like a hearing person are hardly deaf.

Seems like some on here have forgotten that deafness is more then just an inability to hear. Don't surprise me though.

Back