Inputs on CI and Hearing Aids

I asked my friend about it. She said she felt that the deaf shld stay the way they are but she does support others decision on CIs as well. She said if I want it great if not great.

She said also it is good for those who need it for work etc. I use caption but very little ASL cause I do not get together with my deaf friends much.

I am against CI as it takes the deafness out of the deaf and it makes deaf something they are not.

Since this is what jasin believes, I guess I'm not really 100% deaf when I remove my CIs. :lol:

I'm sure you are all rolling your eyes over the post.
I have to say nice handling of it though.

It is clearly resembling an invitation to go trick or treating at the odd house down the block where you were told the last kid who went there disappeared off the porch.

But if you dare to... double dare ya! ;)

To be honest. The logic made seams illegibly with the rhetoric it uses.

People who get pacemakers were supposed to die.
People who have prosthetic limbs shouldn't use them because they were meant to live without one.
This means laser surgery for eyes and bionic implants should be wrong, they were meant to be blind.
Those who can't walk shouldn't be using electric wheelchairs because engineering is doing the work for them.

You said a good point up there. My nephew is only 19 soon to be 20 has a pace maker already. The doctor told him that if he don't get it soon his condition can kill him or give him more heart problems.

I remember my first audi telling me that if I didn't wear hearing aids (I was 15 at the time), I would end up damaging my hearing by the loud music I listened to through headphones.

People who get pacemakers were supposed to die.
People who have prosthetic limbs shouldn't use them because they were meant to live without one.
This means laser surgery for eyes and bionic implants should be wrong, they were meant to be blind.
Those who can't walk shouldn't be using electric wheelchairs because engineering is doing the work for them.

:gpost:

I was born totally blind and do not have any desire to see. That being said, if another blind person chooses to have a retinal implant, I say more power to them. I refuse to act like some Deaf people and criticize another person for the decisions they make. After all, it's their body -- not mine -- and they have the right to do with it as they wish.

You need to remember that many late deafened people do not know sign and cannot lipread. For them, CIs are a valid option for returning into the hearing world and IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There are plenty of late deafened people who know sign or can learn it. Also, you do not need to lipread to know sign or to communicate.

I remember my first audi telling me that if I didn't wear hearing aids (I was 15 at the time), I would end up damaging my hearing by the loud music I listened to through headphones.

That's not a flaw of hearing aid that's a missuse and an improper use of them. Using hearing aids in a way they were not designed to be used is not a flaw of hearing aids. If you actually were instructed in the proper use of a hearing aid and read the manuals that came with them you would of use a neckloop or something like that and not headphones.

You said a good point up there. My nephew is only 19 soon to be 20 has a pace maker already. The doctor told him that if he don't get it soon his condition can kill him or give him more heart problems.

The flaw with the pacemaker argument is that people who have them need them to live unlike those who have cochlear implants.

I know that when I have my aid off for more than a few hrs and I start loosing my balance and cannot walk straight. Also I get ringing in my ear without my aids, cannot concentrate without my aids too. Meaning cannot folow lip reading, reading CC and all.

Lip reading helps us deaf ppl understand what ppl are saying if they don't know ASL.

If any of my kids are deaf, I give them choice if they want CI or not. Also they would learn ASL and lip read.

I cannot live without my aid. I panic if I go out without them thinking someone wld attack me.

If you actually were instructed in the proper use of a hearing aid and read the manuals that came with them you would of use a neckloop or something like that and not headphones.

When I talked about using headphones to hear music, I was talking about the time BEFORE I started wearing hearing aids.

Besides, neckloops weren't available in 1985 when I started wearing hearing aids.

My first hearing aid audi knew a great deal about hearing aids and had over 30 years experience in the field. I give her alot of credit because she refused to give me CIC, ITC or ITE hearing aids because she knew I was a self-conscious teenager who would never wear them.

There are plenty of late deafened people who know sign or can learn it. Also, you do not need to lipread to know sign or to communicate.

Some late deafened people may know sign, but a majority of them do not. This is especially true for the elderly population and people who have difficulty learning new languages.

It isn't as simple as "learning sign language" since there are many factors that determine whether or not someone can learn ASL.

If a person lives in a rural area, ASL classes may not be available.

Furthermore, they may not have anyone they can practice and use sign with.

As for the second sentence in your post, I have no idea what you are talking about. I never implied that one needed to know how to lipread in order to know sign. I'm totally blind and learned PSE, SEE and ASL, so I'm well aware of the fact that it isn't necessary to know lipreading in order to learn sign.

Read my post carefully. I said lipreading and sign are 2 communication techniques that many late deafened people are unfamiliar with.

Not quite as many most of the LDA's or HLA's that do know sign tend to know Pidgin Signed English (PSE) and that is the form I use when I need to sign when my ears were not functioning at one time during a doctor visit at a hospital with a interpreter. Most late deafed adults are usually intimidated to learn signs and can not get enough practice to get good at it. My view is to ty to use whatever works for me.

Not quite as many most of the LDA's or HLA's that do know sign tend to know Pidgin Signed English (PSE) and that is the form I use when I need to sign when my ears were not functioning at one time during a doctor visit at a hospital with a interpreter. Most late deafed adults are usually intimidated to learn signs and can not get enough practice to get good at it. My view is to ty to use whatever works for me.

:gpost:

After I lost my hearing in 1995, I learned PSE followed by SEE and ASL. When I started relying on tactile sign for communication, my preference was to use PSE since English is my first language.

I am sadly shocked to see intolerance in this thread, we are all individuals, what works for you may not be my answer and visa versa. We have no right to judge others on decisions they have made whether it is in regards to signing, lipreading,CI implants, digital, analog, etc, etc. I am grateful to see that most of us are open and tolerant here. I am here to learn and share, and I surely appreciate those who have supported, shared and even questioned me. I have much to learn, I am just beginning to introduce myself to the deaf culture, I am ignorant in many ways, but I hope I never come across as intolerant, if I do, please let me know.

After getting CI, I could no longer use my hearing aid for my unimplanted ear. The CI was overpowering my hearing aid!!!! it got to the point that my UNimplanted ear could hear nothing out of my hearing aids. People suggest that I keep wearing my hearing aids along with my cochlear.. but I just can't hear anything out of it anymore.

Back