Inputs on CI and Hearing Aids

I do get ringing in my if I do not wear my aid. Meaning if I had to go more than 24 hrs without my aid I start get the ringing in my left ear, also I cannot live without some kind of sound or I get off blance and loose concentration when someone tries to talk to me or even to read anything from CC to books.

Well I do know that they are using it to cure/treat Meniere's.....I heard about that a few years ago back when I was still posting at DumbNotes.

Well I do know that they are using it to cure/treat Meniere's.....I heard about that a few years ago back when I was still posting at DumbNotes.

I know several people with Meniere's who have CIs and with the exception of one, all of them have reported a complete elimination of their dizziness/nausea after having surgery.

So they are indeed using it "off label" to treat Meniere's? That's awesome.

So they are indeed using it "off label" to treat Meniere's? That's awesome.

No, it's not considered "off label" since a person must have severe-profound hearing loss (as well as 60% or less speech discrimination in the better ear and 40% or less in the worse ear) to qualify for a CI.

This depends on the health of this OP's ears. If the better ear is healthier than the worse ear, they may decide to implant the better ear instead.

In my case, I was given the choice as to which ear I wanted to have implanted. I chose my left ear since it was my worse ear and I wanted to continue wearing a hearing aid in my right ear.

If her better is too good, she won't be a candidate in that ear or at all.

Wow thank you for your great quick input. My only fear is if the CI don't work in my left ear, I won't be able to hear ever with aid or not.

I will be making phone calls soon. My hubby will be helping me with all of that. I will contact my audie and see if she can email me my hearing test numbers.

Understood and this is why in my opinion I wouldn't risk the better ear. The other thing is with a CI in the worse ear, you can enjoy bimodel by wearing one CI and one HA. How much of a hearing loss do you have in each ear, got any audiograms?

Wow there is so much involved to be qualified for it.

A friend of mine is helping with this as well.

The OP also may not qualify for a CI until she is tested using the strongest
up-to-date hearing aids available.

The OP also may not qualify for a CI until she is tested using the strongest
up-to-date hearing aids available.

This is something I wish they would do for everyone. I read about someone who had HAs that were at least 5 years old and his HAs broke. Instead of paying for new HAs, he let the insurance pay for his CI. It could have been possible today's HAs would have given him equal or better results. He got a CI only because insurance doesn't pay for HAs otherwise he would have gotten new HAs.

This is something I wish they would do for everyone. I read about someone who had HAs that were at least 5 years old and his HAs broke. Instead of paying for new HAs, he let the insurance pay for his CI. It could have been possible today's HAs would have given him equal or better results. He got a CI only because insurance doesn't pay for HAs otherwise he would have gotten new HAs.

If that's true, then shame on the CI surgeon and audi who implanted him. When I was evaluated for a CI, my hearing aids (Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs) were the strongest available.

By the way, I forgot to mention that my former CI audi not only tested my hearing and speech discrimination with my Comtek FM system using DAI and my Oticon DigiFocus BTEs -- she also tested me using my Oticon 380Ps (also using my Comtek and DAI) to see if there was a difference in my speech discrimination scores. As it turned out, they were almost identical with only a 2% difference in my percentages.

I am against CI as it takes the deafness out of the deaf and it makes deaf something they are not. Those who disagree with me are wrong too because unlike with hearing aids you can't just take the thing off for a week or two and go back to being deaf without anything attached to yourself. Once you are implanted you are stuck, that is that. You become like borg. Half human half machine. Suggesting we need these devices implanted is also like saying we are defective without them. Its like saying people can't live without hearing or we need hearing to function and to live. And nothing is more wrong or more insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am against CI as it takes the deafness out of the deaf and it makes deaf something they are not. Those who disagree with me are wrong too because unlike with hearing aids you can't just take the thing off for a week or two and go back to being deaf without anything attached to yourself. Once you are implanted you are stuck, that is that. You become like borg. Half human half machine. Suggesting we need these devices implanted is also like saying we are defective without them. Its like saying people can't live without hearing or we need hearing to function and to live. And nothing is more wrong or more insulting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to remember that many late deafened people do not know sign and cannot lipread. For them, CIs are a valid option for returning into the hearing world and IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My friend is the same way.

I have to call my audie on monday and I will ask about the naidas.

I get sick and tired of deaf people saying that those of us who have CIs do not accept our deafness or think we need to be "fixed." I did not receive CIs because I thought I was defective. I chose to be implanted so that my quality of life as a totally deafblind person could be improved.

There is alot of reasons why we have CI's.
I have mine because I work all over the world and does corporate events which have alot of people from other countries, it is hard enough to understand them with their accents also to enable me to be more comfortable and understand in hearing environment since i am with them 99% of times. Since i had the implant my life is alot less stressed, I don't need to conterate hard as i used to with HA's therefore less headaches. I no longer need broken english people writing things down for me.

I wasn't expecting to reach this far but I have done so well, I am pleased with myself. I still can't use phone but i haven't used phone all my life so i am in no hurry to use one.

Recently I made more new deaf friends since i had the implant!!! I am off to SIGN rally in 2 weeks... never been to one but one of new friends invited me.

I got best of both. Please accept us for our decision. We aren't forcing anyone to have one. We never insulted the deaf culture, for godness sake we are still deaf ourselves!!!

I cannot understand why antis bring this up and insult us for damaging deaf culture where as we haven't done anything wrong and tried our hardest to be involved into deaf community but only to be rejected by the antis. We are still same person and DEAF at the end of the day!!

Good post, Charlotte!

If I respect a Deaf person's right to use ASL (which I do), I would hope that they would respect my right to receive a CI as well.

Back