I'm Getting a CI!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still reminded daily by both strangers and some "friends and family" who tell me to get a CI. Like others, I have no cochlea. I also have no ear drums and am losing the bones in the ear. Nothing will work except pure acceptance and moving on.

I am still reminded daily by both strangers and some "friends and family" who tell me to get a CI. Like others, I have no cochlea. I also have no ear drums and am losing the bones in the ear. Nothing will work except pure acceptance and moving on.

I thought your loss was progressive and that you used to be able to hear if not perfectly? Or do you mean there's not enough cochlea left for surgery? I'm a little confused.

Confused too. Can you lose cochlea? Damage yes, born without yes, but lose? Learn new things every day! This I didn't know.

I thought your loss was progressive and that you used to be able to hear if not perfectly? Or do you mean there's not enough cochlea left for surgery? I'm a little confused.

Confused too. Can you lose cochlea? Damage yes, born without yes, but lose? Learn new things every day! This I didn't know.

I was born with a progressive loss as well as calcium deposits in the ears. I did have some hearing for 41 years. As time went on, the calcium had spread over the ear drum and cochlea. The calcium squeezed it off and therefore I no longer have them. During a routine cleaning of the ear by the ENT, he noticed that there were chunks coming out. After an examination, he noticed the absence of the ear drum and cochlea. Now here in the last year or so, I have noticed more chunks coming out of my ear and when I took them to a ENT here in town, he noticed they are bone fragments. He examined and I am losing the bones in the ear as well. It's all related to the calcium theat is spreading in the ear. This current ENT has seen this type of thing before, but says it is not common at all. Possibly 1 in every 1,500,000 people has it or something like that.

Wow!!!! I never know this!!!! :ty: teaching me, Kristina!

I was born with a progressive loss as well as calcium deposits in the ears. I did have some hearing for 41 years. As time went on, the calcium had spread over the ear drum and cochlea. The calcium squeezed it off and therefore I no longer have them. During a routine cleaning of the ear by the ENT, he noticed that there were chunks coming out. After an examination, he noticed the absence of the ear drum and cochlea. Now here in the last year or so, I have noticed more chunks coming out of my ear and when I took them to a ENT here in town, he noticed they are bone fragments. He examined and I am losing the bones in the ear as well. It's all related to the calcium theat is spreading in the ear. This current ENT has seen this type of thing before, but says it is not common at all. Possibly 1 in every 1,500,000 people has it or something like that.

:ty: That makes sense. No wonder cochlear implant woudn't help.

Just your luck you seem to have a rare disorder.

KristinaB's bone problem does show that not everyone can get a Cochlear Implant. Probably part of the 19 year period experience-ending last year- Sunnybrook/Toronto rejection rate of 60%. Info given at Implant patients meeting last year.850 were actually implanted-same time frame- of which I was one.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Im not attacking anyone. I do resent being told that Deaf people have no business sharing their thoughts or opinions. I'm a mother of a deaf child, too.

The thread I'm referring to is now gone...hardly anyone saw it.
It suggested I get a CI in order to participate in the thread, which prompt me to say is there a secret club?
No one has the right to attack you because you use a CI. If you knew me in real life, your reaction would be different.

No, of course you don't have to get a CI to participate in the thread. The thing is deaf people who have CI (like me) can easily understand the point of view of another CI user than a person who doesn't have it....

Don't forget CI users are DEAF people too!! Of course we can hear with a CI and that's fine but the reality for us is that we depend on our processor battery life to hear and when the battery runs off we are completely DEAF again.

Appros to Jules thought: Every time I disconnect my implant I am bilateral DEAF. That fact will never change.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

No, of course you don't have to get a CI to participate in the thread. The thing is deaf people who have CI (like me) can easily understand the point of view of another CI user than a person who doesn't have it....

That's understandable.

I have a problem with people assuming that since I don't wear one then I should refrain from making contributions to the CI threads. I DO see why some posters should avoid commenting because they are rude, start attacking others personally, etc. I would LOVE to see a thread that is informative and where all folks agree to be accepting of.different views and roles of what the CI plays in their lives.

So following that thinking, the hearing people should not comment on the Deaf Education because they never were on the receiving end of it. :hmm:

So following that thinking, the hearing people should not comment on the Deaf Education because they never were on the receiving end of it. :hmm:

I guess I'm not going to be able to comment on anything!:lol:

I guess I'm not going to be able to comment on anything!:lol:

LOL!!! You are the exception as you got it. :)

I mean those who are pro-oralists. And those who insisted on SEE, MCE, the likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back