I'm Getting a CI!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain hearing ppl in here want you drawn and quartered for saying that. :giggle:

I doubt it, most people are aware that not every deaf person is a candidate for a CI and that even among those who are candidates, physically, many don't qualify for insurance coverage for treatment. Hence, the high rejection rate for those who want CIs at CI clinics.

I doubt it, most people are aware that not every deaf person is a candidate for a CI and that even among those who are candidates, physically, many don't qualify for insurance coverage for treatment. Hence, the high rejection rate for those who want CIs at CI clinics.

Realistically, I don't think that's the case. But, I would say that most people on here are aware of that. But, go out in the real world, and, have a hard time finding someone who even knows what a CI is, much less the qualifications for one. The average person just doesn't have Deaf issues or the CI on their radar.

I was just joking, but the fact remains that the CI parents have not mentioned any failures or explants or anything of the sort. You know?

Certain hearing ppl in here want you drawn and quartered for saying that. :giggle:

The only person who would want someone drawn and quartered for their views is an extremist. It also goes both ways.

The only person who would want someone drawn and quartered for their views is an extremist. It also goes both ways.

Sure, but we deafies were the ones talking of both sides, Pro and Con. The CI parents were purely Pro. That is just an idle observation, perhaps. No biggie.

I was just joking, but the fact remains that the CI parents have not mentioned any failures or explants or anything of the sort. You know?

Wasn't Rockdrummer a hearing parent of a child with a CI whose cochlear ossified completely, rendering it unusable? Posted about his child's experience, his child was also an ASL user, I think. But I also think he ran into a whole lot of personality conflicts with one particular member who just followed him everywhere on the forum and made it impossible for him to post without harassment.

I once put up a post listing about 6 different sources of information about failures/explants/risks for ... hmmm ... wasn't it for you, when you were researching getting a cochlear implant a year or two ago? Maybe someone else.

Fact is, though, when the failure rate is so tiny, when you have only 5 or so hearing parents posting, the odds aren't all that great for the horror stories you want so much to see.

Reactions: DOD
Realistically, I don't think that's the case. But, I would say that most people on here are aware of that. But, go out in the real world, and, have a hard time finding someone who even knows what a CI is, much less the qualifications for one. The average person just doesn't have Deaf issues or the CI on their radar.

Absolutely true, Ocean, just referring to Beo's statement that there are hearing people on here that don't want anyone to know that not everyone who wants one can get a CI.

The responsibility of what to do with THEIR -deaf/Deaf/DEAF CHILD belongs strictly to them. They are the parents! Who they consult-up to them.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I would guess not many parents consider such a possibility,

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:

One of those hearing parents said it would be "downplaying reality" to talk about cons.

Absolutely true, Ocean, just referring to Beo's statement that there are hearing people on here that don't want anyone to know that not everyone who wants one can get a CI.

Or letting us know of cases where those who qualify for CI's get them, and regret it immensely.

One of those hearing parents said it would be "downplaying reality" to talk about cons.

If you want us -- for some reason -- to be representative of all CI users, rather than just relating our own child's case, we'd have to tell you of 1000 cases where all was successful for every 1 instance of CI failure. But for some reason, even if our children's implants are just fine, you want us to dig up some case of failure that we've heard of in order to have some validity? That doesn't make sense. That would be like expecting you to discuss cases where people did not receive a good education at a bi-bi school for every time you talked about your own positive experience, or requiring you to make reference to a person who just never became fluent in ASL for every positive reference to your ASL experience.

Sure, but we deafies were the ones talking of both sides, Pro and Con. The CI parents were purely Pro. That is just an idle observation, perhaps. No biggie.

You talk up the pro side of CIs?

Wasn't Rockdrummer a hearing parent of a child with a CI whose cochlear ossified completely, rendering it unusable? Posted about his child's experience, his child was also an ASL user, I think. But I also think he ran into a whole lot of personality conflicts with one particular member who just followed him everywhere on the forum and made it impossible for him to post without harassment.

I once put up a post listing about 6 different sources of information about failures/explants/risks for ... hmmm ... wasn't it for you, when you were researching getting a cochlear implant a year or two ago? Maybe someone else.

Fact is, though, when the failure rate is so tiny, when you have only 5 or so hearing parents posting, the odds aren't all that great for the horror stories you want so much to see.

the failure on rockdrummer's part is failure to learn an effective communication method with his child because of his huge expectation on CI's success.

very sad....

If you want us -- for some reason -- to be representative of all CI users, rather than just relating our own child's case, we'd have to tell you of 1000 cases where all was successful for every 1 instance of CI failure. But for some reason, even if our children's implants are just fine, you want us to dig up some case of failure that we've heard of in order to have some validity? That doesn't make sense. That would be like expecting you to discuss cases where people did not receive a good education at a bi-bi school for every time you talked about your own positive experience, or requiring you to make reference to a person who just never became fluent in ASL for every positive reference to your ASL experience.

CI failure?

no..... that's not the type of failure we're talking about. This is the kind of failure we're talking about - Our World, Our Culture - AllDeaf.com

You talk up the pro side of CIs?

I may have; I don't remember. :giggle:
Seriously, I do know of some who are happy with it. Yesterday I spent time with a lady who had a CI implant three years ago. She is a paralegal and says that the CI "saved her life." I know of a couple more here in town who are satisfied with their CI's so far. However, it could just be me, but I notice that the percentage of those who are unhappy with their CI's are higher than the other end. Don't forget, I came close to getting one myself.

the failure on rockdrummer's part is failure to learn an effective communication method with his child because of his huge expectation on CI's success.

very sad....

And don't forget rockdrummer couldn't handle what he dished out.... :shrugs:

GrendelQ - considering no national data has been collected on all CI implantees, nor has CI implantees been monitored after age 18, one is not sure exactly what is the success rate and what percentage failed.

so, it's kinda hard for me to take your word for it when there is no concrete proof especially when even doctors and CI manufacturers downplay side effects of CIs such as tinnitus, migraines, vertigo, infections, ear aches, pains from sounds, mapping difficulties, static noises, so on and so forth.

That's where you are mistaken. Its much much closer to 100:1 than 1000:1. This is where "downplaying the cons" come in.

GrendelQ - considering no national data has been collected on all CI implantees, nor has CI implantees been monitored after age 18, one is not sure exactly what is the success rate and what percentage failed.

so, it's kinda hard for me to take your word for it when there is no concrete proof especially when even doctors and CI manufacturers downplay side effects of CIs such as tinnitus, migraines, vertigo, infections, ear aches, pains from sounds, mapping difficulties, static noises, so on and so forth.

Didn't we have a poster that complained about bad sounds, headaches, and the internal part being out of its place? The doctors downplayed that? Is that even in the records?

I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back