I'm Getting a CI!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's where you are mistaken. Its much much closer to 100:1 than 1000:1. This is where "downplaying the cons" come in.

I know you like to think that the survey you've read of 5 CI recipients in which 1 reported headaches is a good bit of scientific data, but .... you need to read up on the research coming out of more valid sources. Oxford Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education is an excellent source of the latest and most thorough research. Its Editor, Marc Marschark, is at NTID where he runs a fantastic clearinghouse with information about raising deaf children, and links to a great deal of research on long-term outcomes.

I know you like to think that the survey you've read of 5 CI recipients in which 1 reported headaches is a good bit of scientific data, but .... you need to read up on the research coming out of more valid sources. Oxford Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education is an excellent source of the latest and most thorough research. Its Editor, Marc Marschark, is at NTID where he runs a fantastic clearinghouse with information about raising deaf children, and links to a great deal of research on long-term outcomes.

Maude database, posters here, friends of friends, etc etc. But again, I know nothing because I am not a parent of a child who has an implant.

But yeah..... I agree with the fact having serious headaches is not a good quality of life. And if its from the implant.....

Care to show me where that survey was? 5 and 1 having headahces? Never seen that....

The responsibility of what to do with THEIR -deaf/Deaf/DEAF CHILD belongs strictly to them. They are the parents! Who they consult-up to them.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

What about Deaf children? Where are their rights to reject having CIs? Care to tell me?

GrendelQ - you think PFH is using data of just five CI implantees to make his statement? you think he's that stupid? He said nothing about any survey of five CI implantees on this thread but by you writing that, you're giving everyone the impression that that is exactly what he said and believes.

Don't put words in his mouth in an attempt to ridicule him and invalidate what he has to say.

GrendelQ - you think PFH is using data of just five CI implantees to make his statement? you think he's that stupid? He said nothing about any survey of five CI implantees on this thread but by you writing that, you're giving everyone the impression that that is exactly what he said and believes.

Don't put words in his mouth in an attempt to ridicule him and invalidate what he has to say.

Hmm, I thought he was referencing a study he mentioned in another thread, but if you are saying he has provided no research to support his claim of 1 in 100, and the figure is just something he made up, well ... OK, then. My advice to do some legitimate research stands.

Hmm, I thought he was referencing a study he mentioned in another thread, but if you are saying he has provided no research to support his claim of 1 in 100, and the figure is just something he made up, well ... OK, then. My advice to do some legitimate research stands.

What study? And I never claimed 1 in 100... I said closer to. Get it right.........

Yes, please tell me what study supports your 1 in 100 failure claim.

No, I asked you what study did you say I referenced to? Are you lying again?

Can you even read? I said closer to 100:1 not exactly 100:1. How can we even trust what you say because its quite obvious you can't understand what youre reading.

Can you even read? I said closer to 100:1 not exactly 100:1. How can we even trust what you say because its quite obvious you can't understand what youre reading.

lot of mistakes in just several minutes. uh-oh!

Only person who "thought" that was you and you're doing it again, "hmm...if you're saying that he's not referencing to that survey and is just making it up..."

where did i say that? nowhere. you said that. once again, you're manipulating and twisting what people say to invalidate them.

and I am supposed to consider you an honest evenhanded and fair representative of the truth about CIs?

Hm.

Every time you libel me by insinuating that I've lied about something, which I haven't done, I'm going to remind you that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at the academic placement and language choices of other parents of deaf kids.

So, let's get this straight, you put out the figure of 100:1 in terms of failure rate. But now you want me to make it clear in all references that you were ballparking it ("closer to 100:1") -- sure, OK: you were being inexact and tossing out a number. And ... you want me to do some research to find a study to support your claim. No.

Every time you libel me by insinuating that I've lied about something, which I haven't done, I'm going to remind you that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at the academic placement and language choices of other parents of deaf kids.

So, let's get this straight, you put out the figure of 100:1 in terms of failure rate. But now you want me to make it clear in all references that you were ballparking it ("closer to 100:1") -- sure, OK: you were being inexact and tossing out a number. And ... you want me to do some research to find a study to support your claim. No.

umad sista?

Fine, if you know your stuff, you wouldn't have a problem showing it is 1000:1 instead of being all defensive?

BTW - just a food for thought, I can pull out easily 20+ people here with CI difficulties - I don't see 20,000 people praising their own CI's.

hmm... You must be laughing when you get uncomfortable. It's understandable because it's part of defense mechanism when your body is feeling tense and anxious. It releases endorphins to boost your mood and also helps relieve pain.

One of those hearing parents said it would be "downplaying reality" to talk about cons.
Amazing.. How a post is pulled out of context...
I recall saying that my daughter hears a little bit would be "downplaying reality".
But what the hack... Go ahead and create your own reality..

hmm... You must be laughing when you get uncomfortable. It's understandable because it's part of defense mechanism when your body is feeling tense and anxious. It releases endorphins to boost your mood and also helps relieve pain.

No, I was actually imagining you saying that phrase. Still makes me laugh. :laugh2:

ARMCHAIR RESEARCH:

I'm going to take this one big step further and use the professionally done "downplaying tendencies" that has been demonstrated here on AllDeaf.com.

According to Wikipedia.com there are 70,000 people as of April 2009 that has CI's.
link: Cochlear implant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Maude database there are 1075 issues with cochlear implants recorded in the year of 2011 alone. (1/1/11-9/11/11)
link: MAUDE - Manufacturer and User Facility Device Experience

Let's dumb it down............. a lot....

1000 issues with cochlear implants in a calendar year.....
let's say...... 400,000 people has cochlear implants in America..

That's 400:1.

But hey...

There's around 100,000 people in America with CI's, and 1000 issues a year....

What's that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back