I guess there's a benefit of my dad having a girlfriend AND a wife...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought you HAD to carry a weapon when you left base - I was just surprised you couldn't. I guess I never thought about it.
Same as the Fort Hood soldiers who were recently attacked. They weren't allowed to carry weapons Stateside.

"excuse me mr mugger, just wait a sec while i reach up my skirt for a weapon-- hey! wait! come back with my purse! I HAVE TO SHOOT YOU!"

Smarmy....you take a class and work on the technique a bit......might surprise ya.

Was he a Navy pilot? Pilots are issued side arms. Typical sailors are not issued weapons except in conjunction with specific assignments. In general, sailors aren't issued guns.

He told me he was able to get his pilots license for free if he signed an agreement that his services as a pilot could be used during the war.

He was not a pilot during WWII - he was during Korea. In WWII he and another officer were in command of an LST - in the third wave of D-Day.

Been thinking about how parents give expensive gift to kids like TheOracle get, and you know things get worn out, or break or get mugged. What I normally do is to give kids a trust fund where money can grow, never worn out or never get mugged. My kids won't able to use this trust fund until they are 30 years old. By the time it reach 30, they will get about $125k, good for them to make down payment on new house, or whatever.

Been thinking about how parents give expensive gift to kids like TheOracle get, and you know things get worn out, or break or get mugged. What I normally do is to give kids a trust fund where money can grow, never worn out or never get mugged. My kids won't able to use this trust fund until they are 30 years old. By the time it reach 30, they will get about $125k, good for them to make down payment on new house, or whatever.
But you still give them something personal, even if inexpensive, as a gift, too?

There is no way my dad would've given me an expensive purse when I was growing up!

(Actually, my dad didn't give me much of anything growing up...except maybe a headache.)

I buy my son clothes from Target...at his age, he just races through it.

I think for me, splurging on certain things (nice sheets, a suit, a purse,a real piece of furniture) is a sign of adulthood.

It's like if she got $800 purse... I rather put $700 to trust fund and $100 for them to use. You know what I mean?

that's what I plan on doing for my son.

Oh yes, of course!
Good. :)

The gifts from my mom that I remember most are the ones she made by hand or bought at yard sales. They were unique, to say the least. :giggle:

Yeah, my kids been begging, whining, and so on for some money out of the trust fund... or from me.. I told them a big NO. They know that I'm rich and I only wear $19.99 tennis shoe.

It's like if she got $800 purse... I rather put $700 to trust fund and $100 for them to use. You know what I mean?

If I had the choice of $800 or purse?! I'd go for the cash. I have bills to pay! I'm a 100 per cent independent from my parents, but occasional cash gifts are so appreciated.

And if my dad tucked away the cash he's spent on me in a savings account over the last few years (being "spoiled" is a recent thing), that would be GREAT. Except...he likes to buy gifts for people. He's a gift-giver. It's his thing. If I said, "yo pops, can I have cash?" then he'd get mad. So...I'm just grateful he thinks of me and don't complain.

*sigh* He's in debt half of the time anyway. The way the guy gambles with his business is crazy. :nono:

Good. :)

The gifts from my mom that I remember most are the ones she made by hand or bought at yard sales. They were unique, to say the least. :giggle:

The gifts I remember from my mom are the ones she really bought for herself...a hair dryer for my 10th birthday (hers went out), a coat I'd never wear (she kept it), etc...

Don't forget the homemade birthday cake. I love to bake my kids' birthday cakes.:party:

Yeah, my kids been begging, whining, and so on for some money out of the trust fund... or from me.. I told them a big NO. They know that I'm rich and I only wear $19.99 tennis shoe.
Oh, they know about the trust fund? Oh.

Oh, they know about the trust fund? Oh.

Oh yeah, I told them long time ago, since my lawyer and I written up Exclusion Trust, and they have a copy of it. So, that is how they know about it.

Oh yeah, I told them long time ago, since my lawyer and I written up Exclusion Trust, and they have a copy of it. So, that is how they know about it.
It's too bad that they had to know. :(

You're lucky you even own a Coach purse.

I've always wanted a purse from any Gucci, Vuitton, or Coach. But I'm not rich to own one and I spend my $ on purses from Canal Street in NYC where they sell knock offs. They still look pretty damn good and very good quality. Better to pay 25-50 than 800 on a purse.

I had a Coach purse and it did not change my life! And it did not last forever! I almost brought a $100 leather purse yesterday. I hate buying crappy things that fall apart right away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back