How do you sign...

what about chiropractor? I can't figure it out...

what about chiropractor? I can't figure it out...

I've seen a couple of people here sign chiro as something similar to "make" only with two C-hands.... looks like you're twisting the spine.

I don't know if that's just a group sign, or if that's actually a sign. Did you see the link for the medical/tech dictionary in the ASL resources thread?

I've seen a couple of people here sign chiro as something similar to "make" only with two C-hands.... looks like you're twisting the spine.

I don't know if that's just a group sign, or if that's actually a sign. Did you see the link for the medical/tech dictionary in the ASL resources thread?

No i didn't, I'm gonna have to look that up!

The sign for YouTube ... same as VIDEO but with the Y circling and the T striking the left palm?

insects... that's most close.

I tried and signed aloud in many different way, couldn't find anything inappropriate.

I have always signed "insects" with the 3 hand, thumb on nose first and second fingers bent wiggling - not the 'L' hand. Wrong me?

How do you sign "maid" (single woman)? I know that a bachelor is a single guy so the sign for single with a B is a bachelor .... is the "maid" same as single with a M?

How do you sign "maid" (single woman)? I know that a bachelor is a single guy so the sign for single with a B is a bachelor .... is the "maid" same as single with a M?
Personally, I wouldn't sign bachelor with a B-hand.

If the concept is a single woman or girl, sign WOMAN/GIRL SINGLE, or WOMAN/GIRL NOT MARRIED, or MARRIED NOT-YET, or HUSBAND NONE (depending on the context).

How do you sign iPad, Kindle, and DS? These are important words to a six year old boy who has a deaf brother (and they have all these devices). I've tried finding these words for him, but no luck so far.
Thanks for your help!

How do you sign iPad, Kindle, and DS? These are important words to a six year old boy who has a deaf brother (and they have all these devices). I've tried finding these words for him, but no luck so far.
Thanks for your help!

Try spelling them out.

How would you sign, "scar"?

Context example: "The scars of your love, remind me of us."

How would you sign, "scar"?

Context example: "The scars of your love, remind me of us."

That all depends on what that actually means. And what this means I have no idea. Is this poetry? Never known a deaf person to say something remotely like this.

For "scar" like the sign for San Antonio, TX is the place the thumb and first finger on the cheek indicating the scar for Davy Crockett. But again, it depends on the context if I am talking about someone having a scar I might describe it.

I recall a deaf poet at Gallaudet University. He was very good and if you had asked me to interpret what he was saying, I doubt I could have put it into words that accurately reflected the image and emotions that he was using. Poetry really cannot be translated literally because it's the meaning that is being conveyed not the words. I cannot help but think of "scar" in your sentence as relating to some kind of abuse even though I doubt you intended it to mean that.

I think the "scar" in this context is the fingertip of the X on the forehead and making a straight line across it - because in this way, the occurrance of whatever happened (be it either horrific or exciting) gets stuck in your memory forever.

Ok, I googled the words and they are from a song "Rolling in the Deep". In this context scars can be memories. Perhaps painful memories?

From the lyrics:
The scars of your love, remind me of us.
They keep me thinking that we almost had it all
The scars of your love, they leave me breathless

Might sign it something like this:
Memory (looking back) love, we (you and I), rememeber.
Thinking, we (you and I), have, all, almost.
Memory (looking back), love, we (you and I), hard, breath (I might change this to something more like "heart beating" with a sad face)

Does this help you?

Try spelling them out.

I appreciate the response. Even if there aren't specific signs, is there something that would work to differentiate these devices from one another easily? I just don't know enough signs to ad-lib and there sure weren't signs for these things when I learned 15 years ago. :) Spelling them might work for an adult, but for a non-signing 6 year old that doesn't spell yet, it might be tough.

I'm a family friend of these two brothers. Right now the 6 yo has limited communication with his older brother who is autistic. I'm trying to find some words that the 6 yo is interested in that would help bridge the gap between the two. When I asked the 6yo what words he wanted to use with his brother, iPad, Kindle, and DS were the ones that he showed interest in. Go figure. :) I'm hoping to come back with something on Monday, so he keeps interest, and that we can keep building communication between the two.

Thanks for any help or direction you can provide!

I appreciate the response. Even if there aren't specific signs, is there something that would work to differentiate these devices from one another easily? I just don't know enough signs to ad-lib and there sure weren't signs for these things when I learned 15 years ago. :) Spelling them might work for an adult, but for a non-signing 6 year old that doesn't spell yet, it might be tough.

I'm a family friend of these two brothers. Right now the 6 yo has limited communication with his older brother who is autistic. I'm trying to find some words that the 6 yo is interested in that would help bridge the gap between the two. When I asked the 6yo what words he wanted to use with his brother, iPad, Kindle, and DS were the ones that he showed interest in. Go figure. :) I'm hoping to come back with something on Monday, so he keeps interest, and that we can keep building communication between the two.

Hook up with a local deaf club/group. You might be lucky to get someone to be a kind of mentor for you. Sounds like you need more assistance than a simple one or two signs. You need someone that can give you strategies for dealing with some fairly basic and simple life issues. That would be challenging to provide here without seeing the interactions of the children and adults.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Try spelling them out.

Hook up with a local deaf club/group. You might be lucky to get someone to be a kind of mentor for you. Sounds like you need more assistance than a simple one or two signs. You need someone that can give you strategies for dealing with some fairly basic and simple life issues. That would be challenging to provide here without seeing the interactions of the children and adults.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Thanks Cheetah! I do think that is great long term advice. I'll look into that!

In the short term, I've got to have something by Monday. 6yo's only have so long of an attention span. :) I can't imagine that all the cool kids out there haven't figured out a hip sign for all this technology that they've figured out, but I haven't yet. :giggle:

Bear in mind that fingerspelling is movement of handshapes, even children who cannot spell can recognize (and mimic) a series of handshapes. I think your 6 yr old could quite readily learn to fingers spell "DS" and ipad (or even "i-p" to represent ipad) and maybe for kindle he could sign "electric+book"? :shrug:

Back