How do you sign...

Got a question that came up during a lesson online today.

I have seen the sign for"wash" using flat hands rubbing together lige washing your hands, but the online lesson had it with fists or "A" handshape and ribbing the fingers together. I have been using the flat hands and want to make sure before I change.

I sign in flat hands means I wash my hands. I use "a" rub on one flat hand or both fists means i wash something like clothes or dishes.

I have seen the sign for"wash" using flat hands rubbing together lige washing your hands, but the online lesson had it with fists or "A" handshape and ribbing the fingers together. I have been using the flat hands and want to make sure before I change.

I think the flat hands is for washing hands usually. The "A" is the number one sign for several signs for wash in my favorite dictionary, and is from the motion for washing clothes.

you can just gesture it. simple.

washing clothes. washing dish. washing car. washing a body. each of them will have a slightly different gesture but we can easily understand it.

For "voice off", you can also mime zipping your mouth shut.

That's the sign for FASTING (abstain from eating).

Sign for FAST | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary

Context. It's all in context. Sometimes when you see some people bantering, one of them use the sign and in context it would mean "zip it" or "keep quiet".

This this. I want to use the mime zipping his lips instead along with 'VOICE' for "Voice off". It might be "informal" though. Is there a such thing like that? Gotta use official or formal ASL. :lol:

You can put your index finger up to the lips indicating "shh!", then do the SWITCH-OFF-VOICE sign (bent-X twisted on the Adam's apple area).

you can just gesture it. simple.

washing clothes. washing dish. washing car. washing a body. each of them will have a slightly different gesture but we can easily understand it.
There are actual signs, not gestures, for each of those actions.

Most of them use both A-hands. The hand placement and movement change depending on the object being washed.

Washing clothes depends on the mode. Washing machine? River rock? Hand wash in the bathroom sink?

Don't be such an introvert.

:lol: j/k

Thanks for the informative video; those were excellent examples. :)

Very good analogy with the b&w video vs. color video. Signs without expression are "colorless."

Your welcome, it seem help alot to ASL student to learn my example and few teacher asked for my permit to use.

Power On does a great Incredible Hulk impression.

:)

rawr!

Are there separate signs for "unborn baby," "fetus," "products of conception," etc., or just one sign? Or, maybe, fingerspell them?

Someone asked me, so I know what signs for "unborn baby" and "fetus". But I don't think I see anybody sign or fingerspell "products of conception". Sorry, I don't know that sign for those words. Is it just spell the words out, right?

If I am posting in the wrong thread, I apologize (and please feel free to point me to the right one :) ). Could somebody tell me what a sign means? I've completely forgotten:

"F" hands, palms towards each other, alternating up and down movement

I am a beginning ASL student waiting for my class to start in September. I have been working with both books written by Humpries and Padden--A Basic Course in ASL and Learning ASL. I also have flash cards by Prof Geoffrey Poor of National Technical Institue for the Dear in Rochester, NY and the American Sigbn Language Dictionary by Elaine Costello. I just did not want to waste any time waiting for this class before beginning so started on my own. I am a senior lady so time management is a big deal. Anyway, when the picture of a sign is not clear enough for me to understand exactly how it goes I look in the other above references for clarity. I find that the answers are not always the same. For example, the word FINE is defined one place as an open hand, palm left, thumb tapped on chest twice and also same hand shape, thumb on chest and moved slightly forward. Two different signs, one word.

I think maybe this could be a regional difference but how do I know 1. Which is more correct or does it matter, and 2. Would either one be understood as the word FINE. I am not really that smart, I am more of a dedicated over achiever and it is hard to remember so many different signs for the same word. Also very confusing when I use one sign over another and get corrected by someone who is more familiar with an alternative sign. I don't mind the correction, but it leaves me wondering how to proceed in the future so my signing is clear and appropriate. Anyone have any thoughts?

Please excuse my typing errors. Yes, I do proof read but can't see well anymore either so some things escape me. Thank you

Last edited:
Fine = hand open, palm facing left and thumb tap chest twice

I do not know the other one you describe.

I am a beginning ASL student waiting for my class to start in September. I have been working with both books written by Humpries and Padden--A Basic Course in ASL and Learning ASL. I also have flash cards by Prof Geoffrey Poor of National Technical Institue for the Dear in Rochester, NY and the American Sigbn Language Dictionary by Elaine Costello. I just did not want to waste any time waiting for this class before beginning so started on my own. I am a senior lady so time management is a big deal. Anyway, when the picture of a sign is not clear enough for me to understand exactly how it goes I look in the other above references for clarity. I find that the answers are not always the same. For example, the word FINE is defined one place as an open hand, palm left, thumb tapped on chest twice and also same hand shape, thumb on chest and moved slightly forward. Two different signs, one word.

I think maybe this could be a regional difference but how do I know 1. Which is more correct or does it matter, and 2. Would either one be understood as the word FINE. I am not really that smart, I am more of a dedicated over achiever and it is hard to remember so many different signs for the same word. Also very confusing when I use one sign over another and get corrected by someone who is more familiar with an alternative sign. I don't mind the correction, but it leaves me wondering how to proceed in the future so my signing is clear and appropriate. Anyone have any thoughts?

Please excuse my typing errors. Yes, I do proof read but can't see well anymore either so some things escape me. Thank you

The one with thumb on chest, fingers wiggle back and forth. And it means elegant, grand, great, splendid, swell, wonderful, also.

That is adj. or interj.

... I don't mind the correction, but it leaves me wondering how to proceed in the future so my signing is clear and appropriate. Anyone have any thoughts?
Yes. Don't try to learn a language from books. Seriously. The books are good for reference, practice and review but not for stand-alone learning.

Thank you ladies. I really appreciate your direction. Can't wait for my class to start in September. I'm really looking forward to this chaptger in life's journey.

In college, I am studying neuroscience as my major. I was wondering how you would sign that? I thought about "nerve science", or "study nerves" as that is pretty much what it is, but didn't know if anyone had a better suggestion.

Back