How come I never hear of deaf billionaire?

Selling a substantial asset to raise cash is not quite the same as being broke.

you're still broke after you raise cash to pay the bills. look at OJ Simpson.... selling all of his assets and he's still broke

Well, I know nothing of O.J. Simpson's situation, nor anything more about Marlee Martin than what was in the link, but think about it: "broke" (to me, anyway), means you've got nothing, you're in the hole, you've got no assets, you're goosed. You're in the "can't get blood from a turnip" situation.

On the other hand, if you've got a house you can sell for nearly $900,000, out of which you pay the Feds $50,000, and you then go and buy another house in a less pricey neighborhood, you're not "broke." You're just moving assets from one class (real estate) to another (cash plus paying down debt).

Well, I know nothing of O.J. Simpson's situation, nor anything more about Marlee Martin than what was in the link, but think about it: "broke" (to me, anyway), means you've got nothing, you're in the hole, you've got no assets, you're goosed. You're in the "can't get blood from a turnip" situation.

On the other hand, if you've got a house you can sell for nearly $900,000, out of which you pay the Feds $50,000, and you then go and buy another house in a less pricey neighborhood, you're not "broke." You're just moving assets from one class (real estate) to another (cash plus paying down debt).

If Trump had just 10million dollars would he think hes rich?

Thats also if Marlee had her house paid off. But apparently she couldn't secure a loan to pay off the taxes...... broke.

If Trump had just 10million dollars would he think hes rich?

Thats also if Marlee had her house paid off. But apparently she couldn't secure a loan to pay off the taxes...... broke.

Mmmm... no. Perhap she didn't WANT a loan to pay off the taxes, and preferred to use the asset on hand (her house) to avoid getting into debt for that. Some people will do absolutely anything to avoid debt. If that's her plan, she'll end up just fine. In a smaller house and cheaper neighborhood, but at least not carrying any additional debt.

Mmmm... no. Perhap she didn't WANT a loan to pay off the taxes, and preferred to use the asset on hand (her house) to avoid getting into debt for that. Some people will do absolutely anything to avoid debt. If that's her plan, she'll end up just fine. In a smaller house and cheaper neighborhood, but at least not carrying any additional debt.

selling her house. taking her kids out of private school. does not have steady income.

yep she's broke.

Thats a possibility, however I believe its a distant one at that.

selling her house. taking her kids out of private school. does not have steady income.

yep she's broke.

Many truly broke people living paycheck to paycheck, or worse, without a paycheck entirely, would LOVE to be the kind of broke you are when you can sell your house and re-locate rather than getting yourself tens of thousands of dollars into debt to pay off a big tax bill.

Many truly broke people living paycheck to paycheck, or worse, without a paycheck entirely, would LOVE to be the kind of broke you are when you can sell your house and re-locate rather than getting yourself tens of thousands of dollars into debt to pay off a big tax bill.

I'm not really concerned about poor people because they're not on same level as us so it's apple-orange to use poor people to compare to middle-class people or celebrity.

For people like Marlee and you... if you're in that kind of situation, you're broke.

I'm not really concerned about poor people because they're not on same level as us so it's apple-orange to use poor people to compare to middle-class people or celebrity.

For people like Marlee and you... if you're in that kind of situation, you're broke.

Like Marlee and me??? I don't think we're in the same tax bracket. Last time I looked, my taxes were WAY less than $50,000!

Like Marlee and me??? I don't think we're in the same tax bracket. Last time I looked, my taxes were WAY less than $50,000!

she's ordinary people like you and me. minus the celebrity status.

In my years, I feel like I've chalked up a bit of experience in this sort of talk. The rich, the poor, the in-between.

I've considered that the rich and richer (not richest) generally keep quiet about their income means, often displaying humble manners. They don't even dress for their class casually.

On the other hand, I've seen those whom brag and moan the most, to try to show how much they spent, have, or acquired etc are often those living paycheck to paycheck.

It may be why you don't hear of a deaf billionaire, if there is one, no one would know since s/he probably isn't talking about how much they have.

To be a billionaire, you have to be able to read and write proper English, which is difficult for many ASL users because they tend to use American Sign Language for communication and writing. Not many people know that type of writing.

WTF? dont have to be able to read and write? In America, you have to be able to understand others. My english teacher told me so. And my parents are millionaires yes sir. I will be able to use that fortune to increase my future fortune. And FYI I have compassion for others, deaf people who is WILLING to work to earn a living.

Well, looks like you didn't work to create your own millions of dollars but rather were given millions by your parents. You are taking a quick shortcut to a wealthy life and you are mooching off of your parents. Not that much different from people whom you judged to be lazy, eh? If you look at the Forbes list of billionaires, it's a sure bet that most of them started out from scratch and made their own riches without their mommies or daddies.

When there are communication barriers, even millionaires and billionaires used resources to get around the communication barriers. They used interpreters, translators, employees who speak a language other than English, etc.

"In America..." *looks around* The planet is much bigger than America, and don't forget, we have North America, Central America, South America, all containing various ethnic groups and languages. And yet, different people with different languages are still able to communicate through various means.

I know plenty of Deaf people who are intelligent despite their English skills. They do have the potential to become rich if they want.

And before you criticize other people's English skills, check your own.

And I see you just set up a new account with AllDeaf. I smell a rich troll.

Back